Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Max Heat/Temp

Options
Got my medium Egg just before the holidays, loving it, and have only done 6-7 cooks on it. 
My question is , why, for some reason , I can't get the temp over 480-500?
even with nothing on the grill, full coals burning for 45 mins , all vents wide open. After putting steaks on it drops and stabilizes around 400. Which is great for my steaks.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Given the BGE (I don't have a MBGE) is an air driven machine there has to be some air flow restriction (thermo calibrated?).  Fuel lit then it's all about air flow in thru the bottom vent and out the top-fire box intake aligned with the base intake?  Hopefully others will be along.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    There seems to be a big mis-understanding about exactly what a full load of fuel looks like.  I myself thought that a full load was just the firebox being full when I first got the egg.  I would also confirm the ash has been cleaned out under the firebox and that the firebox opening is properly aligned with the screen.   Like lousubcap mentioned, sounds like an air flow issue.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Look through the bottom vent and make sure the hole in the fire box is in line with the vent.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    "all vents open" implies you left the top (daisy) on, but open).

take it off completely
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited January 2017
    Options
    With the top vent open you will only get to 450, for max temp take the metal top completely off.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • PoppasGrill
    Options
    Will try it with the cap off next time, thank you all for the responses .
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Will try it with the cap off next time, thank you all for the responses .
    if i want it to peg at 400, i leave the cap on but wide open.  it will (on my large) stop right at 400, pretty much like yours did.

if i want to go higher, the thing needs to come off