Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Digital Thermometer advise

Options
I just became a LBGE owner, and i have vowed not to touch it until my house sells and our family makes the move (I'm a realtor) So in the mean time I've been reading the posts about the essentials for owners and I've been slowing purchasing accessories.

This brings me to the Digital Thermometer it seems like most everyone opts for this Flameboss 200, but not coming from   Rockefeller lineage i came across this on Amazon today. So my question is can i get by with one of these less expensive thermometers? or in 6 months will i be not pleased with it, and end up buying a higher grade model.

I am totally new to all of this, but if its defiantly worth the extra $$ to do it right the first time please let me know.

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    FB is a temp controller, has a fan to increase air flow.
    Above is a thermometer.

Two different applications, not a fair comparison.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Agree with @RedSkip, it depends what you want to be able to do with it. I have the flameboss and it's awesome. But if you want something just to measure the temp with then there are other options. So what are you wanting to do with it?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that is the electronics from a Maverick ET-733 in a different housing.  The probes look different as well. I have been through a couple of previous versions of the Maverick ET and they worked fine. My only complain was the probes failed.  Only other complaint was it was a pain to set the alarms but it looks like they have improved that.  The old versions only had an up arrow and if you passed your setpoint you had to roll back around like a crappy old alarm clock.  This unit might be worth a shot. 

As others stated this is just to monitor the temp. The flameboss actually controls the temp so it is a different animal. 

I think the Cadillac of remote temp monitoring would be the new smoke:
    http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Thermoworks makes professional grade equipment. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JBPRIME
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation  @SmokeyPitt ill look into this Smoke, looks great!

@chuckytheegghead my goal is to work up to long smokes, but for now while i'm still learning i'm going to try and sharpen my skills with Steaks and burgers and Pizza for the family. So i guess i'd be primarily using it for reading the temperature for the Thick cut rib-eyes i plan on making.    
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Welcome and Congratulations on the new egg.

Here is my humble advise...

I recommend that if you don't already have a instant read thermometer, that should be #1 on your list (the ThermoWorks Thermapen is the gold standard). 

After that, if your looking for a remote thermometer to monitor your pit and meat temps, you consider the ThermoWorks Smoke. It's built well and very easy to use. 

I'd hold off on a temp controller. I'd spend some time and learn to control temp manually. It's a bit of a learning curve, but you'll find that once you stabilize your temp, the egg holds it very steady for many hours. After that you made decide that you really want a temp controller... or not.  

Have fun with your new egg, try new recipes and techniques if you have any questions please ask, the folks on this forum are always willing to help.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Thermapen is a good place to start and will probably be one of your most used eggcessories 
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I would also recommend the Thermoworks Smoke as well. Everything Thermoworks makes is very good quality.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I will pile on the Thermworks bandwagon. I have Thermopop and Thermopen. I will likely get the Smoke also when the gateway (wi-fi push to an App on your phone) becomes available later this year. 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Look at www.fireboard.io and thermapen
    Pratt, KS
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    What makes the smoke better than maverick or igrill?
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hey @JBPRIME - a little advice:

The remote thermometer is a great tool to have, but they are a bit finicky in my experience.  At least, the probes are.  Here's what I've learned by ruining a few probes:

Water - do NOT get any water on the probe where the cable/wire enters it.  So when you wash them you can't just toss them in a sink full of soapy water.

High temps - High cooking temps will ruin them too.  With mine once the Egg hits about ~550*F I get an error reading of "HHH" and if I don't get it out of the Egg fast enough it'll stop working all together.   

I've got an extra probe laying around just in case I kill another one.

I mention the heat because you said you want to start with steaks/burgers/etc.  I like cooking my steaks at temps that will ruin my probes.

Welcome and good luck!!
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    What makes the smoke better than maverick or igrill?

I own both. I think the Maverick is OK for occasional backyard use. However, I cook in competition and the Mavericks have failed me more than once. Quality is far better with the Smoke. There is a good comparison in Amazing Ribs.
  • chasgh
    chasgh Posts: 64
    Options
    I have a thermapop..what is the difference in that and the thermapen?  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @chasgh  - Glad you asked.  For me, from a backyard cook perspective, the difference is in some few seconds of read speed.  And I cannot justify the $$ against the pop lag time.  I have gifted several pops to relatives and friends-all appreciate the response.  I would replace my thermapen with a pops (which did not exist when I bought the ...pen) should it ever go to the thermo graveyard.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The Thermapen is faster and more accurate. If you can accept the differences, the price of the Pop is very inviting.  The Thermapen also has some features that the Pop does not - which may be important to you - or not.  The Thermapen probe folds next to the unit for storage (no plastic tube to lose), auto rotating display, auto on display, and uses AAA batteries instead of coin cells.  You can get four Pops for the price of one Thermapen.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    ibanda said:
    I will pile on the Thermworks bandwagon. I have Thermopop and Thermopen. I will likely get the Smoke also when the gateway (wi-fi push to an App on your phone) becomes available later this year. 
    FYI, I emailed Thermoworks before Christmas to ask them if I purchased the Smoke now would the Gateway work with it when it was released and they said yes.  It seems they are two separate devices, so you can get the Smoke now and the gateway later.  Not sure if this changes anything for you but just wanted to let you know.
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Anyone know if the Thermapen is allowed in a carry on bag for air travel?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    They are not on TSA's list of prohibited items.  TSA says that knitting needles are allowed, so I am guessing that the Thermapen should be ok.  Don't have any idea about international flights.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.