Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New KJ's are shipping

Options
just saw this on the guru. Notice the latch?  
VA Beach

Comments

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Also some pics of the cap. 
    VA Beach
  • VB_egger
    Options
    I would think current KJ owners will not be able to use the new gasket without updating bands and adding the latch. Thoughts or insight?
    VA Beach
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Is that a multi section fire box? if so they have solved any problem with a cracked fire box with it coming in so many sections.
  • VB_egger
    Options
    Yea that's what it is. 
    VA Beach
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Looks like the gasket is falling off the dome. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Well the new hinge is said to have the lid just about hovering, so the latch solves that issue. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hmm, I'm just wondering how fun it will be to latch and unlatch all the time? Obviously no sweat on L&S, but other cooks? I wonder if it's necessary or just an option. 
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    It looks good, nice to see technology improving older designs.  The bands on the egg are less than desireable with the adjustments and underbite issues.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    Sorta want. BGE bands are a painnnn to align. But latching every time would suck if that's the case. 
  • VB_egger
    Options
    The current kj's don't have alignment issues @RedSkip.  
    VA Beach
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Sorta want. BGE bands are a painnnn to align. But latching every time would suck if that's the case. 
    If you use the spacers they now provide, the alignment is not a big deal at all. The most common culprit is people pushing the bands too far up or down onto the ceramic haunch provided. It is deceiving. The bands align basically with the edges of the ceramics. Where the ceramic meets the gasket. They are not to be pushed onto the haunch any further than the edge. 
  • VB_egger
    Options
    @pgprescott, I mostly agree with you. I also think adding gasket between the bands and ceramics helps too. 
    VA Beach
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    Options
    Still crappy ceramics with heavy metals in the glaze. Will it ever Chip or flake? Care to ingest that?  You can color a turd a different shade, but in the end it is still a piece of...
  • VB_egger
    Options
    I don't know @whirly,  where did you get that info from. 
    VA Beach
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Whirly said:
    Still crappy ceramics with heavy metals in the glaze. Will it ever Chip or flake? Care to ingest that?  You can color a turd a different shade, but in the end it is still a piece of...
    Can you show us this material data sheet you apparently have for the KJ glaze?  
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I had not heard anything about any food safety issues with the KJ.
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Whirly said:
    Can you show us this material data sheet you apparently have for the KJ glaze?  
    I'm pretty sure whirly just trolls until the opportunity to post this comes up.  Look at his 27 posts, this subject is his only contribution to the site.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Whirly said:
    Still crappy ceramics with heavy metals in the glaze. Will it ever Chip or flake? Care to ingest that?  You can color a turd a different shade, but in the end it is still a piece of…
    Gotta love a troll….

XLBGE 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Hmm, I'm just wondering how fun it will be to latch and unlatch all the time? Obviously no sweat on L&S, but other cooks? I wonder if it's necessary or just an option. 
    It's not an option. It is necessary for use with the new cantilevered hinge arrangement.

Komodo Kamados also use a latch.

Not a big deal.

I think being able to lift the dome of a Big Joe with just a couple fingers is worth the extra 0.10 seconds it takes to push to unlatch.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    It's not an option. It is necessary for use with the new cantilevered hinge arrangement.

Not a big deal.

I think being able to lift the dome of a Big Joe with just a couple fingers is worth the extra 0.10 seconds it takes to push to unlatch.
    I was at the mothership Friday and I could lift the XXL dome with a couple of fingers. I was quite surprised. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Not a big deal.

ummm, I'm not sure I agree. I am sure it will be of varying annoyance depending on your habits and personality traits. I find the best tools for the egg are the simple ones I use every cook, like the Ott grid and PS lifters. I also think the continuous latching and unlatching would drive me insane. Short trip you know. Oh well, that's just me.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yeah I suppose it seems nit picky but the having to latch it every time would bug me as well...especially if it takes two hands.  I often remove meat onto a plate or platter in my left hand, shut down the egg with my other hand and walk inside.  Now I have to find a place to set down that plate. Not always easy with only 2 side shelves for real estate. 

If you can lower the lid enough to get the latch to engage with one hand, then I don't think it would be a huge deal. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DaveRichardson
    Options

Their new hinge is supposed to have the dome at a near zero weight, hence the latch.  I'm wondering if a simple pair of tongs would suffice to hold it down to seal during a steak cook or a hot and fast cook....  Might have to ask their guy.  then I also wonder just how hot that new latch would get right at the mouth of the beast.

The gasket is like a Rutland hybrid from what I've read....  I'll haveto play with the new design before I make a call on it.  Good to see some innovation on the manufacturer's part.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Near Zero leads me to think the dome would be fine if it's not locked in place when using at grilling temps. Locking it for a low and slow to assure no air gap might be needed. But everything is speculation at this point.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Their new hinge is supposed to have the dome at a near zero weight, hence the latch.  I'm wondering if a simple pair of tongs would suffice to hold it down to seal during a steak cook or a hot and fast cook....  Might have to ask their guy.  then I also wonder just how hot that new latch would get right at the mouth of the beast.

The gasket is like a Rutland hybrid from what I've read....  I'll haveto play with the new design before I make a call on it.  Good to see some innovation on the manufacturer's part.

This makes it seems like they are creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. It takes very little effort to lift the dome.
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options

This makes it seems like they are creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. It takes very little effort to lift the dome.
    Depends.  I don't have any problems opening the lid on my Large BGE but my itty bitty wife thinks it's heavy.

I do agree though that having to latch it would be annoying.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    you can unlatch the lid in the same motion as when you opening the grill.  it's very simple and takes no additional effort.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Yeah I suppose it seems nit picky but the having to latch it every time would bug me as well...especially if it takes two hands.  I often remove meat onto a plate or platter in my left hand, shut down the egg with my other hand and walk inside.  Now I have to find a place to set down that plate. Not always easy with only 2 side shelves for real estate. 

If you can lower the lid enough to get the latch to engage with one hand, then I don't think it would be a huge deal. 
    I'm just speculating as I have not played with one of the new models but it appears to me that the latch is right near where the thumb is when I grab the handle to open a dome. Seems like it wouldn't be any big deal to use your thumb to depress the latch lever when you open the dome.

It also appears that the latch has a sufficient "air gap" so it is not likely to get very hot. But if it does then a simple silicone sleeve could be placed over the latch. Maybe KJ even includes one. Beats me.

As far as engaging the latch when closing the dome I'm betting that it doesn't take more than a few pounds of down force to click it shut.

Certainly we are all creatures of habit but I can't see this being something one doesn't get used to  after just a few uses.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    alynd said:
    you can unlatch the lid in the same motion as when you opening the grill.  it's very simple and takes no additional effort.
    How do you know that?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    A buddy of mine has the old BGE hinge that locked in place. I have more than once tried to force it down and it's really annoying since I'm used to not having it. If I was used to it it wouldn't be so bad.