Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first fire followup

Options
not Jo
not Jo Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Dinner was set for 10:00 PM PST so I left the ribs on until 9:30-9:40ish. At 4.5 hours in, 7:30 PM PST, they hit 194. I probably should have removed them by 8:30 PM but left them another hour. They turned out very nice. They had significant smoke ring, and the outside was uniform bark. The inside was mostly sweet and succulent. There were some dried edges but nothing that was to bad. Suprising for a 2 hour overcook. Next time I'll just pull them but I was curious and they turned out fine.[p]The charcoal burnt down to only about 1/2 dozen small pieces left in the fire grate. Would anyone mind describing their drip pan set up? I bought a aluminum pan that I just stuck in the bottom but it was difficult to drop the couple chunks of hickory I added at about 6:30 around it.
Thanks!
Jo[p]
Chart Time in PST Temp refers to temp at grill level not dome, dome temp was significantly higher (almost 100 degrees at some points), meat temp is self explanatory.[p]02:00 fire lit
02:20 250 degrees
03:00 temp 169 meat 54 placed on grill
03:30 temp 183 meat 150
04:00 temp 204 meat 155
04:30 temp 212 meat 156
05:00 temp 219 meat 158
05:30 temp 221 meat 161
06:00 temp 223 meat 169
06:30 temp 229 meat 177
07:00 temp 228 meat 186
07:30 temp 228 meat 194
08:00 temp 222 meat 192
08:30 temp 223 meat 196
09:00 temp 222 meat 194
09:30 temp 219 meat 196 removed from grill

Comments

• Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Options
    not Jo,[p]Alrighty then - brand new egg and making me look like a sloth again. 15 temperature measurements (and recorded) in one cook - perfect results first time out, and if I recall rightly you've got a grill with a hinge so you can add smoke at the right time. Never even heard of one of those. Like I've said so many times before in this forum - now I'm coveting a hinged grill! Me - I corral a likely suspect to come look at the egg and get them to throw my wood chips under the grill while I precariously lift one edge![p]Cheers![p]Dave[p]PS - where can I get a hinged grill?[p]
  • not Jo
    Options
    Rotor,
    I got mine at BBQ Galore however I bet you can get them at almost anyplace that carries the weber accessories, like Home Depot, I saw them there too. They make them for their 18.5 inch series and it sits in there just perfectly in place of the porcelain enamaled grill that comes with. That was one of the attractions of the large egg I could use the 18 inch weber accessories on them.[p]BTW it did make it very easy. I am going to get a smaller (say 15.5 to 16 inch) rectangular grill to sit my drip pans on and then sit that so that the wood will slide right past on either side into the fire below. Then a nice poking stick to give it a shove or two and voila perfection.[p]I do love my egg!!
    Jo

• Rotor
    Options
    not Jo,[p]Thanks for the info - I'll take a run to HD and see if I can pick one up. Now using a rectangular grill ... you're not a member of mensa are you? Heh.[p]Dave
  • Rotor
    Options
    not Jo,[p]I went shopping at lunch and ordered the hinged grill, it'll be in tomorrow for pickup just in time for weekend grilling. Thanks!
  • not Jo
    Options
    Rotor,
    A member of mensa you say??? Haaaaaaaaahahahhahaaaaaaaaahahhaaaaaaaaa nope sorry about that...... I'm not even smart enough to be friends of mensa folk. It's why I can actually get stuff done ;x
    Jo

• Rotor
    Options
    not Jo,[p]Hehheh! But I'm not buying it!