Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for those with AR

Options
My PS broke so looking at going the AR route.  A couple questions before I give them a call later this week.

1. I typically use a 16" air gapped round drip pan above my PS.  It appears if I get the oval AR, this would not work anymore?  What are you guys using for your drip pan?  I didn't really want to have to go the ghetto route of making a foil drip pan as the website advises.  I like the extra heat deflection the metal pan adds above my PS.

2.  If you are using the extender with a rack on top, is your dome able to close with food on it?  I currently have the sliding D rack for my WOO setup, and my thermo hits any food that is sitting on that D Rack, and sometimes my pork butts will even hit the dome of the egg as it's sitting pretty high.  

3.  It appears from their website that you are able to place the grid anywhere from below felt, to felt, to above felt? 

4.  If I go with the R and B combo, can I later add a spider and stone for 3 level cooking?

Thanks 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    It sounds like you are asking about a large.  That's what I have, so here you go.

1)  The more I egg, the less I really worry about a drip pan.  If I'm doing something fatty (butt, brisket, maybe ribs), I just squish a rectangular aluminum pan between the spider/ceramic and the bottom grid (with spacers - I use socket wrench heads). 

2)  Yes.  Though i lost the clip for my thermometer ages ago.  If it's in the way of a big cook, I'll just take it out.  I have a pretty good idea about temp these days. 

3)  Yes, pretty much

4)  I went with the spider/stone straight away.  I deflect edge cooks (brisket, ribs) with extra foil and/or the drip pan.  I prefer to have the extra cooking grid and the lower heat deflector, but that's just my choice.  CGS sells quality stuff all the way around.

NOLA
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I think the AR will get you about the same height in the dome. Why not just get a new 16" or oval stone from CGS and the support for it and continue to use the woo set up? Unless of course you were looking for even more levels to cook at. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    Options
    spider and smaller round stone under the rig. i didnt go with the sliding grids, pan sits on the crossbars at whatever height i want it or i leave the smaller round grid on the cross bars with the pan on that. i have no need to flip briskets or butts and if im cooking alot of ribs i stand them vertical, just easier for me to do that and flip less. if your maximizing the rig though, you want the spider and stone under it, there is no need for an oval stone. calling tom though will help you out as he cooks with all the setups and answers these questions daily
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    I have the oval stone and use the same 16" round pan I did before. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Call CGS and they will help you sort it out. I'll probably give then a call next week to help me with the different combinations for my AR. Right now it is still in the box. As for a drip pan I got the 16" round drip pan that they offered as an option with their AR Combo.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Drill a hole down the length of a wine bottle cork and slide your thermo through it, then place in the dome. Acts as a spacer so the stem of the thermo doesn't hit food placed on a higher grid in the egg. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.