Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

weekends ribs and a husk berry?

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,776
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
100_0879.jpg
<p />couple of questions. back ribs?are they babyback or something else, they looked like big babybacks. the husk berry in the photo, grows on my maine property, never seen anything like it. internet search, is it a cape gooseberry, tomatillo, or ground tomato or something else. is there anything that looks like this thats poisonous before i go and eat one this fall as they ripen. they just started growing up against the house, they were never there before and they dont look like they should be growing in maine.
the ribs were cooked directly over the coals, great snack for breakfast while fishing this weekend
100_0882.jpg
100_0886.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Just guessin' here, but try googling on cape gooseberry. There's also some good info at Cook's Thesaurus. (link below)[p]HTH
    Ken

[ul][li]Cook's Thesaurus[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    fishlessman,
    the rack in the back look like baby backs that I prefer. Note how the left side end is small and narrows. The other two must be some other cut - why do I say that? I count 14 bones and the ends are identical in shape and size. BTW babybacks typically only have 13 bones - if I'm wrong then laugh at me but I've never seen baby backs with more than 13 rib bones!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]What kind of curve die the rib bones have? That should be the tip-off. Maybe they are cheaters?[p]Those sure look like tomatillo's. The paper-like sheath forms before the fruit. Is the fruit a little sticky? I guess it is good to be cautious before eating them. Looks like the hoppers like 'em.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thirdeye,
    that was my first guess on the plant and the fruit is sticky, but as far as i know you cant grow them here. they were under a few feet of snow thru the winter. for some reason i can find different pictures of the fruit, but not good pics of the actual plants to compare the stems and leaves
    the ribs have a heavey curve to them,but they are bigger than what ive seen, what are cheaters, just ribs cut differently for length extending the babybacks? never actually bought babybacks before, but they always seemed smaller to me

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    RRP,
    all three are the same from the same costco package, as usual with my rib cooks, they get ahead of me and start to fall apart.

fukahwee maine

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    RRP,
    I think he has 14 on that lower rack. Could be he got the rack before Eve got her rib.

• fishlessman,[p]The fruit looks like what my 84yr old grandfather calls a Ground Cherry. He loves them. He's got my kids hooked on them too. I don't care for them. [p]Check here: http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/ground_cherry.htm[p]The turn yellow/orang when ripe. Also the husk will dry out.[p]Good luck!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Evan,
    seems like there is a lot of diffent things that look like this. they all say warmer climates or that they are annuals in the colder climates which has me confused as these are in maine. have to see what they look like as they ripen

fukahwee maine

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I thought I was rib crazy. But ribs for breakfast? looks good.[p]Mike

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    fishlessman,

I have eaten gooseberry's that look like that and I am still upright and breathing. I think they turn yellow when they are ripe...at least the few I have had were yellow. Fwiw, I had them in Canada each time I have had them...Toronto to be specific.

• fishlessman
    Options
    GriffinGaDawg,
    that makes me feel better about trying them, havent seen any negative posts about them being poisoness either here or net searches, we will see if the season is long enough for them to ripen.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    i think i like them cold even better than when they come off the grill. the first rack fed three for dinner with a bunch of other stuff, and the next day i ate the second rack for breakfast and the third for lunch : )

fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]The stickiness is a good sign that they are tomatillos, I didn't plant any this year so I can't take a pic.[p]If the ribs are curved, chances are they are loin ribs. I think the "baby back" name is a marketing ploy. I mean if the carcas is small, the ribs would be small but a big hog still has loin ribs and they have some length to them and they are called baby back too.[p]Cheaters are spares from a smaller carcas that are cut down (width-wise) to look like baby backs and are sold at the higher price that they command.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    some annuals can come up the next year under certain conditions.
    we had petunias in a windowbox that was simply turned over at the end of the season and exposed to the winter.[p]they actually came up again this year.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman,
    the leaves on the plant don't look like the leaves on my tomatillo plants. if you can find a tomatillo at the grocery store, buy one and cut it in half and compare the look of the insides.[p]where are you in maine? i have a vacation place in southport.[p]Ken Baker

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Yup, cold ribs the nest morning are the best, fridge aging or what?

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo fishlessman,
    As usual I am too late as this venue seems to go fast.
    Anyway you have cape gooseberry...aka...tomatillo, correctly known as Physalis ixocarpa. Carpa is kind of skin or peel and iso is not connected.
    Never done a pie w/ ripe ones, but I have 7 growing in my garden that are the easiest grd thing to preserve for Mexican fresh green salsa all thru the winter.[p]Green sauce[p]1/2 lb or so of green tomatillos, peeled and washed.
    simmer in salted water until tender
    throw in the blender and double tap, want some texture
    add
    chopped onion
    chopped serranos or jalepenos
    chopped cilantro
    salt
    let sit for an hour, taste and maybe just a little sugar.
    tequila?
    more chilies?
    Serve as a salsa for tacos, fajitas, arranchera
    Next day it sets up, let in get to rm temp, stir and bring out the chips[p]For the winter.
    Peel wash throw in a freezer zip-loc.[p]