Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Prime Rib Christmas cook. First one!!!

Options
Krughzn
Krughzn Posts: 38
My brother bought two prime ribs. He didn't know the weight, I figure the smaller one is ~7 lbs and the bigger one is ~18 lbs. the smaller one is a prime and the bigger one is a choice cut. He dry brined with kosher salt, garlic salt, and garlic cubes before he brought it over to my house yesterday. I kept it uncovered in the fridge til about 8:30 this morning. Cleaned out the ash, topped off lump and let it stabalize around 225. S/P, paprika, brown sugar, 6 pepper seasoning rub and on the egg at about 10:00. Hopefully will be eating at 4:00-4:30. 
San Diego, Ca. XL BGE, 42" Lynx All Sear Grill,Thermapen, Thermopop, Adjustable Rig Combo, Maverick 733, SS Smokeware Cap, Flame Boss 200, Grill Grates. 

Comments

• Krughzn
    Options
    Internal temp is already at 108. Egg is steady at 226. It seems to be getting up to temp pretty quickly. I will check with thermapen when temp hits 120. 
    San Diego, Ca. XL BGE, 42" Lynx All Sear Grill,Thermapen, Thermopop, Adjustable Rig Combo, Maverick 733, SS Smokeware Cap, Flame Boss 200, Grill Grates. 

• Krughzn
    Options
    It only took 3:10 to cook. That seems really fast. Did I do something wrong? I figure I will let it rest 10-15 mins then FTC for a few hours before we eat. I also have a warming drawer. Would it be better if I put in there?

• Krughzn
    Options
    Winging it now. Here's the bigger one off after about 4:10. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Calibrated indications are the reality.  Best to deal with as you have and go with "It's done."   Once the length of the roast (or hot-dog, a manly one for sure;) ) exceeds the diameter then the cook time is about the same.  You have a great brother and he definitely appreciates your BGE.  Enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Krughzn
    Options
    They were both delicious. 

• lousubcap
    Options
    Great result right there.  Way to bring it home.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Krughzn
    Options
    Thanks. My brother also brought over a friend of his who is a "Wine" guy. He probably brought over 20 bottles of wine. There were 4 of us drinking. We finished off the wine. It's going to be a long day today......

• lousubcap
    Options
    Da-n, that's stepping up in another arena.  Even with my math skills that's some serious consumption right there.  As has been said a few times around here, "I would have to rally to die."
    But at least you are suffering in San Diego-there are many worse places for recovery ;)
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    The prime rib is fantastic, but I have to say I'm more impressed by the wine consumption. Can I ask whether anyone would have noticed the difference if you swapped in some Boone's Farm or a box of Franzia after about the 12th or 13th bottle?
    Stillwater, MN
  • Krughzn
    Options

By the 12th or 13th bottle, I was just getting into the 5 S's. See, swirl, smell, sip, savor. I was killing it on see and sip, But then it got hazy and sip turned into slurp and gulp. I did learn a lot about wine though.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Can't speak for the wine consumption, but you sure nailed the roasts.
    Drool drool!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    A biiger prime rib takes nonlonger to cook than a smaller one really

it isn't a ball of meat. It is a tubular shaped thing. Distance to the center is what determines how long it takes to cook, since the heat is coming in perpendicularly to the center. 

So if you double the length of the thing, it still isn't any thicker than it was. Shouldn't take any more time

diameter of a pancake has no effect on cook time. Thickness does. 

Same for a hot dog. A twenty foot hot dog cooks in the same time as a foot long

We usually allow a couple/few hours.  With time for resting, and timing side dishes, and drinking wine, the time when you sit down to eat can be fairly flexible. Or should be at least

better to finish early and let it rest an hour if you have to