Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Smoke

Options
I smoked a 7lb roast last night.  Used a couple chunks of pecan and a chunk or two of apple.  I gotta tell you...the roast looked beautiful, but I thought the flavoring was off.  I think maybe I used too much smoke?  I wasnt crazy about that taste.  Think I'll try another one soon with no smoke and see how that does.  I loved what smoke did to the Thanksgiving turkey but not so much for the beef.  Am I unusual or did I just use too much smoke?

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I know others like it, but I prefer prime rib without any smoke. Charcoal is great all by itself.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Dang- If you used even closely equal amounts of smoke (same smoke wood and lump) then I have no idea how you got that result.  As you likely guessed going in, the beef can take (and turn out just fine) well more smoke than poultry.  Your choice of smoke wood is quite meat neutral relative to the cuts of protein.   I would go with unusual but I'm not spending your $$.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I am no PR expert but I know I like Oak on my beef.  I did my first PR yesterday with one fist size chunk of oak and I loved it.  Your wood selection is very neutral but too much of anything is no good.  I would say back off by half and see if that fits your smoke needs.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • etherdome
    Options
    did one with oak and cherry this week and it was phenomenal.  never have used apple on beef. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like smoke, but not on prime rib. 
    I add a small amount. Four chunks would be too much for us. FWIW
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I threw a lemon sized chunk of post oak in mine tonight and later decided I'll leave it out next time. Doesn't sound like much wood, but it hung in there for about 40min before it cleared up. Taste wise, I didn't notice it much, but I could definitely smell it which seemed inappropriate for a Prime rib. It also got into the red potates I had braising in beef stock.
    Gittin' there...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    All subjective,
    But I'm thankful I break bread with smoke eaters, with smoke used right.

Surprised, cornfused actually, that most in this post prefer no smoke? I'm sure most love grilled, smokey, charred, seared ribeyes...but don't like smoke on their PR?  Do you guys cook your ribeye steaks in a gasser, or oven?

Seems hipocritical, like nola, I could see him favoring no smoke flavor.

It might smell like cheese, but we're still talking about a uuuge chunk of beef right guys?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Don't know too many that go for smoked ribeye steaks.  A nice crust on a ribeye or a prime rib roast is fine.  Charred  is not welcome. 

You can cook a ribeye in a cast iron skillet on the stove just fine (grease control is the biggest problem).  You can also cook a good ribeye on a gasser if it has a high enough btu burner.  You can also cook a very good ribeye on a charcoal starter if you want. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Why not smoke roast it?
    Seems like the perfect cut to do it, that can handle a standard low and slow smoke.

I'm far from a pro though.

How much smoke do you think gets absorbed in a nice slice of PR, in 3 hours give or take?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I use three or four medium sized chunks pecan.   I agree you should not over do the smoke on a rib roast.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Used 3 med size chunks of post oak on a 6 pounder Christmas Eve, turned out great. Smoke was subtle but added a nice flavor.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    One chunk of bourbon barrel (white oak ) is all I use. 

I also dont smoke my steaks, cause it's a quick cook at 600-800 degrees. 

Heavy smoke isnt good on a prime rib, it's not a chuckie getting sauced up 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Rockwood and that hunk of beef.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • chasgh
    chasgh Posts: 64
    Options
    Honestly, I just love the natural taste of steak.  Rarely do I even add anything but salt and pepper.  Maybe thats why I was taken aback by the smoke flavoring.  To each his own...thats what makes the world go round!  I'll be smoking turkeys, wings, and butts in the future but likely not my beef!
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I made a 5 lb rib roast and didn't add any wood. Cooked on lump, there may have been some leftover pieces of chunk from last cook but the lump left a decent amount of flavor. I would not add any wood to that cut of meat. I wanted to attach a photo but by the time it was ready it was dark and rainy, but it looked and tasted amazing.
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Beef usually loves hickory. That's what I use and everyone seems to approve.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Had smoked prime rib at a decent restaurant Christmas Eve. 

It was ok but I'd stick with charcoal only on the Egg. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Smoking prime rib is like deep frying blue fun tuna.
    Options

Maybe if you don't know how.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    smokeyw said:

It's all a matter of personal taste.  There is no right or wrong.
    Options
    smokeyw said:

It's all a matter of personal taste.  There is no right or wrong.

I agree with that.
  • cactus_darrell
    Options

Over smoke is very easy to do on the Egg. I found the fruiter woods work well with the egg.  Cherry Apple and Pecan all work great for a milder smoke flavor. I usually place a couple of chunks spread out on the lump.  It gives a  great smoke flavor. Prime rib smoked to about 115 -120 than pulled and tented till it cools down, then seared either on the egg or oven  set to broil, until it get a nice crust.  Excellent  one of my fav's

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas