Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Butt this weekend

Options
PJ St. Fern
PJ St. Fern Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
5.5# butt w/ DP coarse, no injection. Had the fire stable at 250 dome from 8:00 PM until 11:30 when I decided to get some sleep. Checked again at 6:00 AM and found the temps down to 200 but the fire was still going. Played around with the vents and got it back to 275/300 after a brief run up to 400 degrees. Pulled the meat off the egg at 185/190, foiled and wrapped in newspaper. Pork was on for 16 hours, which seemed a little long. Could the 200 degree fall contribute to the long cook time? Should I have looked for a 300 dome temp prior to going to bed? Still, all in all, the results were great, and can't wait to do it again![p]PJ St. Fern

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Glad everything turned out well in the end for you!!...The Egg is forgiving....Boston Butts are forgiving.....So...all went well...In the future I wouldn't recommend letting your Egg go 6 or 7 hours without checking.....NG....Not good.....3..maybe 4 hours at the most...on long cooks.....Or until you get a BBQ Guru or wireliss / remote temperature probe..[p]The temperature moving down to 200 certainly contributed to your extended cook time...At 250 - 275...ideal time for smoking a Boston Butt....A 5.5lb. Butt should have taken approximately 10 - 12 hours to cook....while realizing that every piece of meat can be different...and require different cooking times....done when they're done....[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• tstick
    tstick Posts: 67
    Options
    PJ St. Fern,
    This weekend I did an 8.4 butt. I brined it in a salt/brown sugar brine for about 8 hours, Then, as the Egg was lit I injected it with an apple/pineapple juice mix. Put on at 8:00 pm at 250 . It was 250 when I went to bed at 11:00 pm. Checked at 1:30 a.m = 200. Adjusted. At 4 am it was 300. It stayed at 300 as I could not get it down. Took off at 9:45 am , wrapped and stored in a cooler. Pulled at noon. the best butt I have done at this point Ya gotta check them at night. tstick