Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Flat Iron Tacos with homemade roasted tomatillo salsa and taco shells

Options
I was looking though the freezer taking inventory and came across a SRF Flat Iron.  I thought, "TACOS".  Didn't have anything in particular in mind, I just knew I wanted to do tacos.  

Set the FI out to thaw while I had some errands to do.  While out, I thought of ideas and came up with the tomatillo salsa.  Ran by the grocery store to pick up the items I thought I needed.  

So, here's the cook.  

Started off roasting the ingredients for the salsa that included the following: 

(3) Tomatillos
(3) Roma tomatoes
(1) Large jalapeno
(1) Green onion
(2) Cloves of garlic
(1/2) Red onion

Got a good char on those items then pulled.  

Took the core from tomatoes, tomatillos, and jalapeno and dumped in the food processor.  

Added a handful of cilantro, juice of half a lemon, squirt of honey (two circles around), 1-2 tsp cumin, 1-2 tsp coriander, 1-2 tsp salt, 1-2 tsp pepper.  

Pulsed till the consistency desired.  Set aside for later.  

Flat iron rubbed with salt, pepper, bullion, cumin, coriander, ancho chile pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.  

Flat iron was cooked around 500° till 135-140°.  Set for 5 min or so and sliced against the grain.  

Taco was built with the following: Steak, red onion, salsa, sour creme, cilantro

Very tasty.  The SRF flat iron was the best flat iron I have ever had.  Very moist even on the tapered end that go slightly over done due to thickness.  I'd certainly get more.  

Pictures

1 - Proof 

2 - Rub ingredients

3 - Up close of the flat iron.  Great marbling.  

4 - Rubbed and tugged

5 - Salsa items

6 - The Medium got the call for this cook

7 - Items are getting happy

8 - 

9 - This was some good stuff

10 - Taco shells

11 - 

12 - 

13 - 

14 - 

15 -