Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Question

Options
Hey Guys! If I use an aluminum foil pan and rack for my prime rib to sit in, is it OK to rely on dome temp and internal of the prime rib? I'm going to shoot for 125º internal. I was going to shoot for 350º dome and disregard grill temperature. OK?  Don't want to screw this one up.  Thanks! 
Auburn, Alabama

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Indirect setup?  I don't like to set a roast in any pan - prefer to cook on the cooking grid - open to air flow from all sides and prevents the bottom from being braised.  I like to get even cooking.

350º is a high enough temp that you will probably get doneness banding in the roast.  I prefer a uniform level of doneness, so I will roast at a lower temp.

I rarely use a grid temp probe.  Dome temps work fine and help avoid the dilemma of which to use when they don't agree (which is normal).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yep, gotta agree with the other comment. I am doing a PR for Christmas and have done one almost every single Christmas for the last 30 years. On the Egg I set a deflector low, with a drip pan just below the felt and the PR above that  on a raised grate. I find setting the roast directly on the grate with unrestricted air flow below and around the edges gives me a nice crust (even with a indirect set up)  and an even cook. I slather  the roast with mustard and then a liberal sprinkle of  my  own rub.  at 325 to 350 indirect to an IT of 120 gives me a really nice medium rare roast after a 20 minute rest. Have fun, PR is a great Christmas cook. I use dome temp and a probe in the roast to measure temp. 
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Thanks guys I feel like I can pull this off with some confidence.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Easiest cook on the egg frankly. Don't sweat it. 

Temp you pull it off is more important than the temp you cook it at. 

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited December 2016
    Options

While I agree with you the IT when you pull it is key, In my experience, the higher temp you use during your cook,  the  thicker the  band of brown medium at the outer edge of the roast. The trick is to use a  moderate temp that helps you have a nice rosy pink medium rare all the way from the center to the outside edge, IMO, anyway. 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    I agree. I prefer 250. 

350 is too high for me, and searing is out of the question for a few reasons 
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    On the Egg I set a deflector low, with a drip pan just below the felt and the PR above that  on a raised grate. I find setting the roast directly on the grate with unrestricted air flow below and around the edges gives me a nice crust (even with a indirect set up)  and an even cook.
    by "set the deflector low" , do you mean simply "legs up" ?
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Yep, gotta agree with the other comment. I am doing a PR for Christmas and have done one almost every single Christmas for the last 30 years. On the Egg I set a deflector low, with a drip pan just below the felt and the PR above that  on a raised grate. I find setting the roast directly on the grate with unrestricted air flow below and around the edges gives me a nice crust (even with a indirect set up)  and an even cook. I slather  the roast with mustard and then a liberal sprinkle of  my  own rub.  at 325 to 350 indirect to an IT of 120 gives me a really nice medium rare roast after a 20 minute rest. Have fun, PR is a great Christmas cook. I use dome temp and a probe in the roast to measure temp. 
    This is a perfect example of how flexibility of volume of an XL will trump a Large.
    Gittin' there...
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I do 225-250. I have the woo in- platesetter drip pan on plate setter and a v rack with the roast on top of the grate. Gets it high in dome. 

Cook to 108-110. Rest while I get the grill up to 600 plus raised direct. Roll it around in the fire and rest it while I find more special beers to open and share. 

Home run each time. Easy cook to entertain with 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    This is a perfect example of how flexibility of volume of an XL will trump a Large.
     This description fits most of the eggs depending on size of your cook. It's not size dependent?? 

Care to elaborate what you mean- not following ?
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    I like the cooking setup that I quoted. Low deflector, grid level drip pan for au jus, meat high in the dome for full airflow around the roast. Whats not to like?

No way i could fit all that in my old large with the size roast I have in the fridge. Just saying.
    Gittin' there...
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    I like the cooking setup that I quoted. Low deflector, grid level drip pan for au jus, meat high in the dome for full airflow around the roast. Whats not to like?

No way i could fit all that in my old large with the size roast I have in the fridge. Just saying.
    I have done 10-13 pound roasts in there just like this... was curious of why the pomp and circumstance of an xl when it wasn't included, was just curious of what was going on that I was missing is all.. It's the same as what I do, even higher in dome in the v rack for the roasts and a pan for some awesome waygu fat with onion and and veggies for an au jus if wanted.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

This approach will serve you well.  Monitoring IT is the key.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    indeed.. as low as you dare for time.. monitor internal with a thermapen and you can make whatever needed.
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    about how many minutes per pound do you think when cooking at 300-325
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    A rack in a foil pan will be fine. However, I would cook at 225. No hotter. When you cook prime rib at higher temps, the outside layer will get overcooked while the interior will be like you want it. If you cook at 225 after letting the prime rib sit out at room temp for a couple of hours, you will have meat the same doneness all the way through. That's just my opinion on it and how I do it.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    A rack in a foil pan will be fine. However, I would cook at 225. No hotter. When you cook prime rib at higher temps, the outside layer will get overcooked while the interior will be like you want it. If you cook at 225 after letting the prime rib sit out at room temp for a couple of hours, you will have meat the same doneness all the way through. That's just my opinion on it and how I do it.
    how many minutes a pound do you think?
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It will probably take about 25 minutes per pound at 225. However, it is best to have a probe in the center to monitor it.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I plan for 30min/lb when at 200-225F up to about 8lbs, or an absoute max of 5 hrs. A 12 lb roast will take the same as a 8 lbr. (Okay, maybe a few min more, but certainly not 2 more hrs) It almost never takes that 30 min/lb -well maybe if you can hold 200F-, but once in a while you get a stubborn hunk of beef, and no one wants a late holiday meal.  If done early (it usually is) then cooler it appropriately, but only after a short rest (5-10) to let the outside cool a bit.

Working example: dinner is at 3. I plan for it to be done at 2:30. 6lbs = 3hrs cook.  On the stabilized 225F egg at 11:30 after sitting out for about 2 hrs on the counter on a cookie cooling rack. This is for meat on the more rare side. Add about 20-30 mins cook time total for medium. Decrease some time if dry aged.
    There are so many variables, but the above is what I use when guesstimating time for rare.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Another way to add a safety net if you are running late is to get a couple of cans of beef consomme and heat it in a sauce pan. People that like their piece more done can have theirs placed in the hot consomme to bring to temp.

Add the pan drippings to the consomme for richer flavor and serve it as jus with the roast at the table. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    JMCXL said:
    smokeyw said:
    how many minutes a pound do you think?
    Cooking time depends on thickness, not weight.  Once you get beyond a 3 rib roast, the cooking times are the same - a 4, 5, 6 or 7 rib roast all take the same time to cook.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.