Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini & wahoo suggestions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recieved a mini for christmas after lusting after an egg for several years. It has so far lived up to is reputation on steaks, chicken breast, and porkchops. Wondering what ideas the group has for wahoo - a firm white meat fish like swordfish. Currently in skin-on fillet form about a pound and a half and and inch thick.[p]Thanks,[p]Jon

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Jon Thibodeau,
    My thought is that you want to grill this hot and fast. Like 650-700, probably won't need more than 3-4 minutes a side. Just me, but I might mix up a little paste with some regular mustard, dijon mustard, some citrus splash or lime juice, a little pepper, maybe some parsley and some olive or sesame oil, and a little garlic powder. Rub with the paste 1 hour or less before cooking. Or simple like olive oil/pepper/parsley (or another herb). Char-crust is another idea.[p]Just some thoughts
    Keep us posted.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Jon Thibodeau,
    Jon, I'm not sure about wahoo,but lately I've had a chance to chew on some steaks about the size you have that came off king mackeral and I think amber jack.They were marinaded 24 hours in italian dressing(some cheap kind carried at Sams club,less than $4 a gal.) before putting on grill a little blackening was put on then cooked direct in a fish basket at 350° for 8 min. each side.They were outstanding,maybe someone else would know if the fish are close enough kin to cook alike.Keep us posted how they come out. Bob

• Thanks for the comments![p] I coated the fillets with olive oil and lemon juice along with some lemon pepper seasoning and fresh black pepper. When the temperature gauge on the mini wentpast 750*, I put on the fillet for 3/3/3. It looked wonderful at that point but was uncooked in the middle (fillet was about 1 3/4 inches thick actually). So I cut the fillet half and put it back on the egg, which was about 400* at this this point, for about 10 minutes. Turned out wonderful in the end anyway. I used alder chips, so the meat had almost a smoked quality about it. Thanks for all the suggestions.[p][p]