Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight my training saved my life.

Options
My training saved my life or at least my facial hair . So I go out tonight and start my XL. It's got a bunch of junk lump leftover from turkey cooks and pork burnt ends. Give it a stir and light it up with a starter cube. Stand there in the cold drizzling rain with the bottom wide open and my smokeware cap off while tons of moisture rich smoke pouring out for about 10 minutes and I can tell its gonna take awhile to come up to temp but that's understandable sometimes,  that's a lot of wet cold ceramics to heat up. Then I go in and unwrap my Aldi's store bought pizza talk to the kid for a minute. Maybe in the house for 10 minutes. Go out and see no smoke and the temp is around 50.Damn all this for a crappy pizza. I'm glad I'm in a habit of opening the lid slow.you guessed it.  It wasn't 50 it was wrapped around to 50. I would say somewhere north of 900. It could have been a bad deal if I just went out and yanked the lid open. After that I had to wait for 20 minutes for it to come down to a usable temp. Pizza wasn't too bad. But nothing to get excited about. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Glad you are ok, good discipline. Still looks like a good pizza.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Glad you're ok pardner. Temps that high are not funny. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    All things considered, pizza appears to have turned out pretty good. Glad you burped that bad boy.
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    You're way smarter than i am. There's a pic floating around here somewhere of me with singed eyebrows and arm hair,  because I forgot to burp my egg at Salado one year. @Mickey probably has it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I usually open it really fast and poke my head in the dome.  That's how I got my last haircut.  Glad you used your training Scott!
    Options
    Scary stuff right there!!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 699
    Options
    I usually open it really fast and poke my head in the dome.  That's how I got my last haircut.  Glad you used your training Scott!
    From the pictures I've seen you haven't had a haircut in a while... Maybe that's why you've been avoiding the forum!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Wow - thank you for the reminder! Glad you're safe.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    There's nothing that teaches like a flash that goes "FAWWWUMF!" Once you do it, you always remember.
    Flint, Michigan
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,543
    Options
    Funny story..

I didn't do a burp when cooking pizza around 600 and got the big fireball. I though it would be interesting to surprise my daughters with the fireball. They were outside putting cheese on one of the pizzas and when i opened it a bit too quick, the fireball rose. My 12 year old girl gasped and before she knew it "holy $#!+" was exclaimed. I tried not to laugh as her mother and I looked at her like two labs trying to determine if she really said what we thought she said. When we looked at her, we and she knew what was said...

BTW, her mom cusses like a drunk sailor at a card game...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Glad you burped...singed beard does not smell good.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    so glad you are ok. someone needs to invent something that attaches to the egg and when it reaches a high temp (something you set) it flashes or beeps to alert you to potential danger
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I had that happen on my last steak cook. I stood there staring at the egg wondering how the temp had dropped to zero twenty minutes after starting. Then it hit me that the temp had wrapped around. I always burp even when cold. A habit that mimics what I do with a gun. Even if I see the other person clear the gun I still do it myself.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I've been egging for over 3 years. Had lots of cooks. But that is by far the fastest its ever got that hot. There wasn't even that much lump in there. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I've been egging for over 3 years. Had lots of cooks. But that is by far the fastest its ever got that hot. There wasn't even that much lump in there. 
    That's why it got so hot so fast :: less lump = more airflow.  Glad you didn't get burned!   I got flashed a few times when I first got my egg, I've since made it a habit to ALWAYS burp regardless of temp.  Just in case.  

I'm a hairy guy and look weird when I burn half the hair off one arm...
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Ha Ha, Turbo Pizza!!!
    Glad to hear your not a burnt hairball!! =)
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Yeah if my temp ever seems not normal like that I will touch the dome and put my hand over the chimney cap to feel the heat. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Cuda1965
    Options
    Been there too. I got side tracked after lighting the lump, but luckily I noticed some flames were starting to come out the top.

I had it burp out flames from the bottom vent once, I was really lucky i was standing off to the side. =-)
  • Mad_Wally
    Options
    I don't understand, I thought this only happend after closing the vents at high heat and the egg fills up with flammable gasses, not at high heat with the vents open?!?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mad_Wally said:
    I don't understand, I thought this only happend after closing the vents at high heat and the egg fills up with flammable gasses, not at high heat with the vents open?!?

No there are numerous situations that can cause it. Sometimes gasses will build up below the lump and blast out the lower vent...I hate those

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    How's your gasket?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Mad_Wally said:
    You get flashback any time there are combustible gasses present that are just don't have the oxygen needed to ignite, and then you provide oxygen.  I've had it happen at lower temps too (~350*F if my memory is good).  The NakedWhiz has a good article on it: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm 

I have also had my Egg 'burp' out the lower vent.  It was running at somewhat high temps, I was done cooking and going to shut it down, closed the top vent first, and a second later it "WHHHPOOOOFF'd" out the lower vent.

Now I always close the lower vent first...
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • texaswig
    Options
    @Hans61 it's fine.  I have a Rutland.need to put it on some day.

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Who was it that hooked the handle of their egg up to a pulley and filmed a flashback in slo mo?  That's a great video.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Cuda1965
    Options
    My stock gasket was fine after I accidentally left the temp get out of control and the gauge wrapped around. 
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    Oddly enough, I had my gauge wrap around twice (2nd time it wrapped around to 200F). Gasket was fine both times.

On the 2nd time (maybe it was just a coincidence) my BGE thermometer died.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,735
    Options
    Nice pizza!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Texas wig.... The picture sucks. Geez bro
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • texaswig
    Options
    @henapple haha where you been bud. I hardly see your posts anymore. Or Am I not looking at the right threads?

scott 
    Greenville Tx