Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket HELP

Options
Banker John
Banker John Posts: 583
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a small gathering of friends on Saturday and the main course is Brisket. I have a 6# piece cryovak'd[p]Now what do I do? Lunch is to be ready and served at 1:00 on Saturday. [p]How long to plan for the cook?
I'm assuming grid temp of 230-250 with dome about 250-270.
What should I season with?
I have an ET-73, what temp should I pull it?
Do I serve it pulled like pork or sliced?
What sides go well?
What BBQ sauce do I use (vinegar/honey/mustard OR ketchup based)?[p]I appreciate all the help! I can't believe I have had my egg for over 5 years and NEVER cooked a brisket.[p]Banker John

Comments

• Banker John,
    You have mail!!

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Richard,
    Just curious, but every time you supply a recipeI for someone, I would like to see it as well.I'm sure others would too. Why not post to all of us?
    Cheers, Bob
  • Dave
    Dave Posts: 163
    Options
    Richard,[p]Email me too, me too! (please.) Thx, Dave
  • Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    Banker John,[p]I can maybe help you with the timing. I did a 4.5 lb (after trimming some of the fat cap) brisket a couple weeks ago at a 225F grill temp. It took about 7.5 hours to get to the plateau at 171F and stayed there for about 1.5-2 hours. I pulled it at 190F after a total cooking time 12.5 hours and then let it rest for a couple more hours. It was very good but a bit dry. I'll pull it a little earlier next time. Perhaps someone else can suggest a correction factor for your planned higher grill temperature. And do yourself a favor, record the brisket temperature every so often so you'll know what to expect the next time.