Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some input on a second large

Options
I've been thinking about adding a second large but I'm not sure if a maybe a small or medium would be better fit. I should also say that I do have a mini but doesn't get a lot us use.  We entertaine a fair amount and I would love to be able to do a combo of low and slow on one and high heat cooks on the other at he same time. I like the idea of being able to swap eggessories but I also would like the size of a smaller egg of week nights. 

Would love so so feed back for you all. 

Thanks,
eggingout1983 
Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    Large is a great size.  Miserly on lump, decent amount of space.  Probably won't notice much time saved on heating up.

With that said, my medium is probably my favorite size.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Get the second Large. The turkey and the ham are ready to eat at the same time. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Here's my opinion on my eggs:

Favorite Egg: Small
    Least Used Egg: Mini
    Most Used Egg: Large
    Perfect Combination: XL and Small
    If I Had To Pick One: Large

Still confused? Me too. No matter what you pick up you'll end up using it. That's what I've found at least with mine. My large and small get used the most. I like the small for smaller charcoal consumption and weeknight cooks. Two larges would be nice for hosting. What egg would be the most practical in your situation? 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Second large for sure
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Second large for sure
    I concur
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Here's my opinion on my eggs:

Favorite Egg: Small
    Least Used Egg: Mini
    Most Used Egg: Large
    Perfect Combination: XL and Small
    If I Had To Pick One: Large

Still confused? Me too. No matter what you pick up you'll end up using it. That's what I've found at least with mine. My large and small get used the most. I like the small for smaller charcoal consumption and weeknight cooks. Two larges would be nice for hosting. What egg would be the most practical in your situation? 

Wrong.

Best combination is XL and Medium.  Says so in the brochure.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Second large for sure
    I concur
    Never listen to a concurring hippy. He will lead you astray ;)  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    Second large for sure
    I concur
    I concur
    Options
    SGH said:
    Second large for sure
    I concur
    I concur
    I concur
    Options
    Image result for I concur
    Options
    I concur
    That's a mighty long word there ole buddy. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SGH said:
    I concur
    I concur ;)
    Options
    SGH said:
    I concur
    I concur ;)
    I had to hit the like button on that one. 

Status- Standing by.

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    don't forget the XL. never used a large but my XL is so easy to cook on. Great a maintaining that low and slow and ideal for the pizza cook.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• OneNole03
    Options
    Do the 2nd large. I have an xl and a medium, I really wished that the medium was a large during Thanksgiving. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    As above, give great consideration to the scenarios you envision using it for.  That should help in sorting out the choice.  You will not go wrong wherever you land.  The flexibility of a second BGE makes more of a difference to me than the size.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    If you want a significant (buy it) increase in cooking real estate, it should be a serious consideration. Note that there is (buy it)  a significant lump consumption, that you should weigh as part of the post purchase investment. I am assuming (pull the trigger) that you have ample space for it and that you have the (go ahead and jump in) knowledge about how to leverage the benefits of multiple cookers. Finally (just buy the damn thing will ya), if you have the funds to purchase it, you should go to your nearest egg dealer for a demonstration in order to make a good purchasing decision. Good luck with your decision. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    would go with the large, my small was slow to light and it maxed out at 750 for searing temps. my large is up to temp in half the time. probably use my mini as much as the large, especially since getting the blackstone griddle
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you entertain that much, I say get an XL. Large or mini will work fine for weeknights depending on the cook. The XL will handle your entertaining needs,  with the advantage of better 2 zone cooking when you need it at other times. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    My second egg was a large (to match the first egg) and it helped a lot that they were the same size and I could use the accessories on both. Never regretted getting a second large instead of another size. After that my third egg was a small....
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I have a large, small and mini max. I use the MM a lot for cooking steaks, etc. for just the wife and I. I use the large frequently when doing butts, brisket, ribs, multiple chickens, etc. The large and MM probably see equal use. The small doesn't get used very often at all. I have thought about selling it and getting another large or an extra large for those times I cook for more people. The large would make sense because I have a lot of accessories that would interchange. Then again a XL might be nice to cook some bigger items occasionally. Decisions?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I only have an XL, but there have been times I wish I had a large or medium to do with it.  I think anything medium and above would be a nice addition.  

Myself I want a large stand alone smoker some day.  I have a WSM, but I want something bigger and more portable if I ever started cratering or competing.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have 2 Large and love 'em both.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have four but I only use two

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I only have an XL, but there have been times I wish I had a large or medium to do with it.  I think anything medium and above would be a nice addition.  

Myself I want a large stand alone smoker some day.  I have a WSM, but I want something bigger and more portable if I ever started cratering or competing.  

I know what you mean. I compete and have a large vertical gravity feed smoker supplied by my sponsor for doing the competitions. The 3 eggs I have are just what I use for cooking at home. Even at that I sometimes use the big smoker at home if I have to feed a crowd.
  • Kesims22
    Options
    I have 2 larges and love them both. but the idea of sharing accessories between the two quickly faded as now I need 2 of everything =)
  • Jameson19
    Options
    I have a large and a small. Small gets used for weeknight cooks and for sides. Considering adding an XL to the mix to handle holidays and large groups. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I had L and M (perfect combo in my opinion) before I got the second L. I thought L and L would be the perfect combo so I sold the M. A year later, I bought another M because I missed it so much. M is my favorite egg to cook on - so fast to temp and uses very little lump. Just buy what suits your needs and makes you happy. Any time you add a second egg, you're going to be very pleased.

I smoke and grill on my M all the time. I rarely use my S as it takes forever to get to temp compared to the M. My L eggs are mostly used for smoking. Mini is for burgers and quick small meals.

By the way, I know the whole "sharing accessories" thing was mentioned earlier in this thread. In reality, you'll likely end up buying whatever you want for accessories for the second egg anyway so don't base the size determination on this. Good luck with your decision.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have two larges. It is the way to go in my opinion. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's