Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kenji's Classic Baked Mac N Cheese

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited December 2016 in EggHead Forum
Was intrigued stumbling upon this recipe, when Kenji said it was his most vexing, trialing it for a couple of months.  Soaking the pasta vs boiling, evaporated milk, American cheese, tempering the eggs, some cool stuff I could be on board with.  When it's said and done, not much more work than Craft really.  

My friend moved here from Germany this year.  She is a huge Aldi fan, says the smell of the Christmas treat aisle reminds her of home.  Was reassuring, to hear of her love of their offerings.  

While there, I found the ingredients for a total of $12.93.  Was going to stop at a higher end store for the Barilla brand that he recommends.  But stumbled upon Priano Pipe Rigate at Aldi.  If elbow and shell hooked up, had a baybay, it would be Pipe Rigate.  This was bronze cut, vs teflon mold cut, which he talks about in the Food Lab.  From Flumeri, the heart of the Campania region.  I think we're good, and it eliminated an extra stop.

Dad gave me about 2C of leftover white meat turkey.  Couldn't find this recipe online, but the Serious Eats one is similar.  Went with a 1T of Boetje's instead of 1t?  And 2T of WW Jonkanoo instead of Franks.  The heat pleasantly showed up at the end.  

Here we go.  Hot salt water soak for 30 min, drain.

Ripped a personal trial in the Griswold #3 to see if I could do this in serving sized skillets.  

Do not cook this in CI.  Was a major PITA cleaning it up.  Tasted wonderful though, washed down with a fat squirrel.

Cooked up some house bacon bits, and used some Panko left from me opting out of adding it on the Thanksgiving lasagna.  

Grabbed the LeCreuset stoneware, and tried it again.  Much, much better. 

Went under the broiler to crisp up the panko for not even 30 seconds.

The crunch, little bit of char, slight heat from the jonkanoo, occasional bit of turkey, and creaminess, was spot on.  Could not even tell it wasn't boiled.  My Birmingham buddy said it was the best Mac N Cheese he's ever had.  It was pleasant, giving a side main stage.  My son, and nephews, are gonna go apesh!t over this.  :)

While the egg was lit, gently cooked some thighs for work lunches this week.

Thanks fer lookin'.
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Good stuff Brandon! Tell me more about soaking the pasta. I'm assuming boiling water for a while? Pasta hydrates but doesn't cook? You don't end up with coagulated cheese goo?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks Steve,
    Kenji tested the water content of pasta boiled vs 30 min presoaked pasta....he stated the water content after a 30 min soak is the same as boiling first.  I took hot tap water, whisked in kosher to dissolve, then added pasta, stirred 5 min in.  Soaked for 30 min, and drained.

Kinda nice, not having to heat a big pot of water on the stove.  

Texture wise, I couldn't tell the difference.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Link for the lazy?
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Rock Star! Other than the feelings of inadequacy, I really enjoyed this post. Bravo! Nice stoneware piece Brandon. 
  • Focker
    Options
    Link for the lazy?
    I tried to find it, but failed yolk.
    It's from his book, The Food Lab P. 744.  Five star book bud, and well worth the twenty something dollar price if admission.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Rock Star! Other than the feelings of inadequacy, I really enjoyed this post. Bravo! Nice stoneware piece Brandon. 
    Thanks buddy.  This was not bad at all Pete, and good ol' winter comfort food.

Was unsure of the LC stoneware, but I'm a fan, especially for the price.  Navy makes it easy to keep clean.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:

Was unsure of the LC stoneware, but I'm a fan, especially for the price.  Navy makes it easy to keep clean.  ;)
    Is that a new piece or did you find it at a sale?
  • Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Focker said:

Bought it earlier this year, $50, free shipping at the time.  Anchor Grey is an extra 20% off, free shipping.  Not bad.
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/shop/cookware/cookware-le-creuset/le-creuset-stoneware/?isx=0.0.260
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Bought it earlier this year, $50, free shipping at the time.  Anchor Grey is an extra 20% off, free shipping.  Not bad.
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/shop/cookware/cookware-le-creuset/le-creuset-stoneware/?isx=0.0.260
    Not bad at all, except I see about 10 items on that page alone I covet. Great deal. 
  • Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:

Not bad at all, except I see about 10 items on that page alone I covet. Great deal. 
    I know! lol
    Even though it's made in China, the stoneware line seems to be good value, quality, thus far.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    Options
    Brandon, do think the Chinese get their woks in France? Lol
  • Bentgrass
    Options
    Brandon, a couple weeks ago I took some leftover pulled pork and heated up in skillet and put mac and cheese over the top.  Let it simmer for a bit and pulled off the stove.  When it cooled a bit, I cut it into quarters and took out like a piece of pie.  It was awesome, but I like the bacon bits sprinkled over the top-
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Focker
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    Brandon, a couple weeks ago I took some leftover pulled pork and heated up in skillet and put mac and cheese over the top.  Let it simmer for a bit and pulled off the stove.  When it cooled a bit, I cut it into quarters and took out like a piece of pie.  It was awesome, but I like the bacon bits sprinkled over the top-
    That sounds wonderful BG.  Pulled pork and mac n cheese, a killer combo.  Diced ham, onion, would be another.

Next time, I will put the broiler on low.   Watching it like a hawk, it almost got away from me.  I struggle, getting a nice golden browning, with casserole in the egg.  The broiler step is quite easy though, and made a difference in such short time.  

The more and more I bake on the egg, and compare results..the more I realize that the hot box in the kitchen,  is the better option.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Bentgrass
    Options
    I am finding that out also- we have electric so I use my cast iron in the oven to improvise.  But I decided that using the egg 4 nights a week this winter is going to change.  Cooking at 10f has lost its luster.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I just looked up Kenji's recipe in The Food Lab. He calls for "ground mustard." Could that be dry mustard powder, like Coleman"s? Or ground mustard seed like stone-ground mustard? He's usually so specific.

Not only that, the recipe is not in the index under Classic, or Baked, or Mac and Cheese. It only appears under PASTA, if you can believe i!
    Judy in San Diego
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @Focker you're mac-n-cheese looks clumpy.  I'll pass.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Focker
    Options
    Bentgrass said:
    I am finding that out also- we have electric so I use my cast iron in the oven to improvise.  But I decided that using the egg 4 nights a week this winter is going to change.  Cooking at 10f has lost its luster.
    Lol, I hear ya.  The smell of baked bread in the house is quite pleasant too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    I just looked up Kenji's recipe in The Food Lab. He calls for "ground mustard." Could that be dry mustard powder, like Coleman"s? Or ground mustard seed like stone-ground mustard? He's usually so specific.

Not only that, the recipe is not in the index under Classic, or Baked, or Mac and Cheese. It only appears under PASTA, if you can believe i!
    Judy, I too, looked for the recipe online to link.  I could not find it.

This recipe called for ground mustard.  I don't have it in my freezer spice rack, and substituted Boetje's stone ground mustard.  We put it in just about everything around here.  My German friend has sent jars home to her family, she loves it.  It is probably the best food related thing to come out of the QC, and has won some serious hardware.  

The Walkerswood Jonkanoo pepper sauce gave it some sweet, warm, tang.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Killer you crazy bastard!  Looks great!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    LOL

I am crushed.  Destroyed.  Devastated.
    You ripped my mac n cheese apart.  
    My online bbq forum reputation will never recover from this.

I'm outta here!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Focker said:
    YEMTrey said:
    LOL

I am crushed.  Destroyed.  Devastated.
    You ripped my mac n cheese apart.  
    My online bbq forum reputation will never recover from this.

I'm outta here!
    Call Blake and Nola, they can guide you.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Judy Mayberry
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Focker said:

This recipe called for ground mustard.  I don't have it in my freezer spice rack, and substituted Boetje's stone ground mustard.  We put it in just about everything around here.  My German friend has sent jars home to her family, she loves it.  It is probably the best food related thing to come out of the QC, and has won some serious hardware.  

I meant it's not even in the Index in his book! Some serious editorial issues here. I emailed Serious Eats with the mustard question, and if they answer me I'll let you know.
    Judy in San Diego
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Focker
    Grest looking grub ole buddy. 
    On a separate note, mac & cheese must be in the air today. I have been tinkering around with recipes myself. Here is one that I'm doing now. I used whole milk, Carnation cream, 1 cup of bacon grease, 5 different cheeses, Tasso, and a blonde roux.

I haven't tried it yet so I can't say if it's akin to a hippy in a windstorm or not. But man it sure does smell good. Akin to the hippy aside. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Judy Mayberry
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I got an answer from Kenji Lopez-Alt about the mustard in his recipe. "Coleman's will work!" But he doesn't say NOT to use the stone-ground mustard that Brandon used. So do your thing.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Focker said:

I meant it's not even in the Index in his book! Some serious editorial issues here. I emailed Serious Eats with the mustard question, and if they answer me I'll let you know.
    Good deal.

In the grand scheme of things Judy, I wouldn't get too hung up on it.  

I don't think 1 little t of ground mustard in 1lb of pasta, and 2 lbs of cheese, will make, or break, this dish.  Now one little gnat, THAT, is a serious issue. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    I got an answer from Kenji Lopez-Alt about the mustard in his recipe. "Coleman's will work!" But he doesn't say NOT to use the stone-ground mustard that Brandon used. So do your thing.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Focker
    Grest looking grub ole buddy. 
    On a separate note, mac & cheese must be in the air today. I have been tinkering around with recipes myself. Here is one that I'm doing now. I used whole milk, Carnation cream, 1 cup of bacon grease, 5 different cheeses, Tasso, and a blonde roux.

I haven't tried it yet so I can't say if it's akin to a hippy in a windstorm or not. But man it sure does smell good. Akin to the hippy aside. 
    Thanks Scottie,
    Some good stuff goin' on there, especially the bacon grease.  

Would love to try yours, when you get things dialed in.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Some El Yucateca Black Label Reserve hot sauce will get added next time, replacing the Franks.  The smokey, charred, heat, will be a nice addition.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's like, super el yippdy do da on the scourge.  I think the pasta tender swag is zipper head.  M16 time in the deer blind.
    Options
    Total flavor town, hizzah.