Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To brine or not to brine the turkey

Options
We have a 18-19 lb. bird that I'm planning to spatchcock, last Thanksgiving was our first time with the egg and it turned out great. Being new to it last year I did not brine, but used a butter, rosemary, etc. coating under the skin that we used on a couple chickens. Again, turned out great. 

Ive contemplated brining and have the stuff to do so. After reading some posts on here I've noticed people saying that when spatchcocking it an unnecessary step. 

Id love to get opinions, experiences from anyone that'll weigh in on the subject. Thanks 

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 895
    Options
    I made turkeys and chickens for years without brining, once I did it, I will never eat another bird without soaking it first.  It makes a difference.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    I do not brine (very lazy cook). Brine if you like, can't hurt. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Brine if the bird was fresh, not so much if it was frozen. I know it is chicken, but this from Cooks Illustrated convinced me. 
    https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/9716-when-to-treat-chicken-before-or-after-freezing
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I let it soak.  Mine is going in the bath tonight, will dry it off well when I get home tomorrow, and it will sit uncovered in the fridge overnight till I put it in the egg.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    I'm trying the dry brine method this year for the first time. Just started the 30#er a couple of hours ago. I'm picking up a few bone in breasts tomorrow that I will dry brine as well.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,512
    Options
    I've heard of a few (and eaten a smaller number) of dried-out birds over the years that weren't brined.
    I've never eaten a dried out bird that was.
    Since you liked your bird from last year, try it brined this year, and let us all know which you preferred; I'd be very interested in knowing!

I'm a big fan of splitting recipes (two small meat loaves, two chickens, two hot dogs) cooked side-by-side but with different rubs/brines/techniques/etc; so I can do a side-by-side comparison.  Chopping an 18# turkey in half would lose too much juice, but give brining a try and let us know; thanks!  

Hello Darkness, my old Friend,

I stood up too fast again...

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Blake matters more...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    Before you decide to brine your turkey, check the label. Many large producer turkeys "Butterball" for example have been pre injected with a salt solution. The label will tell the tale. If you brine a pre injected bird you can make salt the main taste in your Thanksgiving turkey. If the bird is fresh there is less chance it will have been injected, the same goes for organic and free range birds. 

I started using an Adam Perry Lang brine a couple of years ago an the family now demands it every year. Apple Cider to cover the bird, 3rd cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup honey with a 1/2 cup orange juice and a few orange slices. Produces a very nice tasting very moist bird. i let it brine over night on Wed. Take it out of the brine on Thursday morning wash it off and let it air dry in the fridge for at least 4 hours before cooking. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brine if it's a fresh unbrined bird.  Makes a big difference.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I've read don't brine if the bird is already injected like a butter ball.

also read an article recently on serious eats saying not to brine, it waters down the flavor like ice in soda.

i guess if if you want to put tap water into your meat go ahead....or you could just do a good job cooking it and let the natural flavors shine undiluted.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I brined for the first time last year, was the best bird I've ever cooked. Just finished putting the bits in the bath for this year. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Hans61
    Options
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    That's my source, but I've brined and been happy in the past
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pwshine
    Options
    Let's say I brine, would you still coat with butter/rosemary/etc. mix before cooking?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    pwshine said:
    Let's say I brine, would you still coat with butter/rosemary/etc. mix before cooking?

Wil the rosemary and ect  be the same as what you put in your brine? If yes I would say it would be fine.  I did a Butterball that was already brined last week with the same rub I put on the outside and under the skin for work and it came out great.  Now I wouldn't brine it for more then 8 to 10 hours though.  On a fresh bird I go 24 hours and let it sit uncovered for 24 hours in the fridge if I have the time.  I would put it in now, pull in 8 hours and let sit uncovered in the fridge till you are ready to finish prep and cook.  Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving,
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RibsnWhiskey
    Options
    let it air dry in the fridge for at least 4 hours before cooking. 
    I know most people do this but I don't know why. 
    "Son, there is no wrong way to consume alcohol." - Ron Swanson

Large BGE

East Point, GA

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I just brined my 20# thawed out butterball turkey for 12 hours even though it says its already brined. Butterball even has a web page suggesting how to brine their turkeys. So I got crazy and brined my turkey. 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup salt in a gallon of water. http://www.butterball.com/how-tos/brine-a-turkey

St. Johns County, Florida
  • Hans61
    Options
    Skin
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pwshine
    Options
    Had issues with the brine (disaster actually) but the bird turned out great without...time to dig in

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like to go 24 hours in the fridge and helps make the skin crispy.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.