Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke flavor question

Options
Sandman
Sandman Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just made a turkey tonight- it was great-however, I didn't get the apple smoke flavor I was looking for- I put 4 or 5 small pieces of apple wood on top of the pile of lump just before I put the turkey on- it seemed like the apple wood smoked for only about 20 minutes-[p]I looked into the pellets but they say they only burn for 30 min- what do you all use to produce a smoke flavor that lasts 2 or 3 hours for cooking a turkey etc.? Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    If you did not soak the apple wood for an hour at least that might be your problem. There is also nothing wrong with putting in more if it needs it. The apple wood smoked turkey sounds good maybe this next weekend .............
  • An Egg Downunder
    Options
    Sandman ,[p]Try stirring the chips/pieces evenly throughout the lump before lighting it. The idea is they will burn progressively giving you an even supply of smoke. Also, I think you could use a bit more wood as apple is mild-flavoured.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Sandman ,
    For low and slow, I light the fire right in the center (only one place). Then, before I put the grill in place, I arrange wood chunks at various distances from the center - the idea being that as the fire spreads it will encounter fresh chunks.[p]HTH
    Ken

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    Sandman ,
    turkey can be overpowered with too much smoke, i would maybe add a little hickory or pecan to the fruit wood if you want the taste to be stronger. just my tastes, but too much smoke for too long on a turkey just overwelms it. i usually go wth a little pecan (pellets is what i have) with some cherry to modify the flavor

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    Options
    Sandman ,
    I smoked a turkey breast this weekend and used some wine barrel staves that Raichlen sells (got them @ 50% off at BB&B, only way I'd buy them. They really gave off an excellent aroma and flavored the turkey really well.[p]I've often used pecan also with good results. I think the real secret to turkey is brining though.
    Rod