Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: XMAS lights already?

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
Three of my neighbors already have their Xmas lights on. I think it should be a law, NO lights until after Thanksgiving! 

What say you?

Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I'm with you brother!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    My wife is on my ass about putting ours up.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    I agree about the lights. 

The Salvation Army Kettle is at the grocery store already, and there was a group of people there singing Christmas carols this morning. Its too soon for that...
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I even see Christmas trees up in a few houses, lights on and ready to go.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My neighbors had their lights up last weekend, but not on.  We have to wait for the leaves to fall so the gutters can be cleaned first.  Hopefully next weekend we'll get some dry weather.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I leave mine up all year round. LOL

This year the plastic clips wore out and the first heavy rain a few weeks ago made them all hang down so I had to take them down. 

I bet my neighbors actually came and pulled them down so I would take them down. 

They are small lights by the way. You have to be looking for them to really know they are there. Not like I left frosty on the front lawn or anything. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I have no issue with people putting lights or trees up whenever they want, but the lights should stay off until after Thanksgiving. One holiday at a time, please.
    Stillwater, MN
  • jabam
    Options
    I'm a procrastinator, lights and tree don't go up until Dec 1. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I used to like Christmas. Now that it's a 6 week event I hate it. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 697
    Options
    MBW plays Christmas movies from the day they come on until the day the stop. I agree. Thanksgiving deserves it's own few weeks on the calendar. 
  • jabam
    Options
    Hate is a big word.

Can't hate Santa, Rudolph, Charlie Brown, Home Alone, kids waking up at 4 AM to open presents, Grandma coming to see her babies, Grandpa falling asleep after dinner while the women shoot the bull around the dining room table, helping the kids assemble all their new toys, a little xmas love from the wifey,  Grand daughter asking me if I have anymore presents hidden away for her (I always do), and last but not least connecting with all of our loved ones that we don't see or talk to on a regular basis. 

Doesnt get any any better than that!!!
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Black friday is my day to put them up. Turning them on before thanksgiving is tacky af
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    jabam said:
    Hate is a big word.

Can't hate Santa, Rudolph, Charlie Brown, Home Alone, kids waking up at 4 AM to open presents, Grandma coming to see her babies, Grandpa falling asleep after dinner while the women shoot the bull around the dining room table, helping the kids assemble all their new toys, a little xmas love from the wifey,  Grand daughter asking me if I have anymore presents hidden away for her (I always do), and last but not least connecting with all of our loved ones that we don't see or talk to on a regular basis. 

Doesnt get any any better than that!!!
    And we know now who has Christmas Spirit!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I agree with the "lights up whenever, but not on till after thanksgiving" crew.

I also 100% agree with @jabam.  Although one rule my parents apparently made with the relatives when I was young was that if you were giving a gift, it had to be given assembled unless not reasonably practical or that was the point of the gift. If it needed batteries, you gave them too.  So I never had to wait for someone to put anything together (unless it was something that you could design: a train set, bike, models, etc..... ) My uncle one year gave me those car racing tracks.  He actually got me 4 of the same one so I could have a really long track in the "formal" living room (no one ever went in there) I remember one straightaway that was the entire length of the room.   Man those things were fast! 

Great times!!!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ours are up and ready.  I light them up to test but, they remain off until Black Friday.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • txhawkeye
    Options
    I turn mine in thanksgiving night. I have neighbors that turned them on before Halloween not sure what that was about. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Suck it, Scrooges! Mine is almost up (right next to the turkeys)

Outside going up today, but I'll probably wait until Black Friday to turn them on. I don't want to be a victim of a hate crime from one of y'all for liking Christmas ;)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Ours are all packed in a pod in the driveway while the basement is being renovated.  We'll do well to get the tree up by the 2nd weekend in December.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    edited November 2016
    Options
    On a random note, if any of you have a large family gathering grab a "white elephant" gift for someone and write the name from someone else on it. For example, I gave my cousins three year old son a travel coffee mug that you can plug into a cigarette lighter to keep warm when driving. Why would anyone give a three year old a travel coffee mug? Well....my uncle did 5 years ago without him knowing. The look on their face are priceless when opening it. A little confused to say the least. I've also gifted a rap cd called "Consensual" and gave it to my cousin but said it was from his sister. I've also given a wrestler barbie to my teenage cousin, an expired but still in plastic wrap church calander to my aunt, male dollar store cologne for my little cousin who is a girl. I know there is more I've done but those are what come to mind. It makes for a good little laugh. Especially when you see them whisper to someone else questioning the gift. Fun times to be had! ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    White elephant gifts are always great fun.  Everyone in my office belongs to a local professional association and every year there's a white elephant.  I typically get alcohol of one sort or another.  Last year I got a stocking filled with airplane sized bottles of booze. One year I got an industrial sized can of pork & beans. The worst white elephant gift I received was a box full of someone's tangled up Christmas lights from the year before.
    Flint, Michigan
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2016
    Options
    jabam said:
    Three of my neighbors already have their Xmas lights on. I think it should be a law, NO lights until after Thanksgiving! 

What say you?

The post Thanksgiving weekend triggers the ol trip to the attic to get the 30 sumpen storage containers down. Lucky to have any lights on till Received. I'm not an over achiever here in my neighborhood.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    we got some up and my wife took the kids to see santa last week. too early in my opinion, but I'm not going to stand in the way of swmbo  :s
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I was at Home Depot prepping for Hurricane Matthew in early October and they had all of the Christmas trees and accessories on display and lit up already.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Our lights have been up for over a week, but they won't be on until after Thanksgiving.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    txhawkeye said:
    I turn mine in thanksgiving night. I have neighbors that turned them on before Halloween not sure what that was about. 
    My neighborhood is very diverse...that was because of Diwali (festival of lights).  It started on October 29th and I believe ran for about 5 days.  We had a lot of fireworks too because of Diwali.  We went out and set off some artillery shells to celebrate with them!   =)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    I agree no lights until after Turkey Day.
    I decorate like Tim Taylor from home improvement .. But not until Friday morning after my duck season opener

Christmas has become way too commercialized. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    we got some up and my wife took the kids to see santa last week. too early in my opinion, but I'm not going to stand in the way of swmbo  :s
    I could argue in favor of this if it means you don't need to return to the mall until the new year.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options

=) 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    @Sea2Ski   I do think this threads feeds another thread for a Christmas Light throw-down.....I want enter but will be happy to look through the thread often.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow