Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I "spatchcock" a turkey

Options
Is there instructions or a video on spatchcocking a turkey?

I'm not real familiar with the anatomy of a turkey but from what I do know I can't figure out how to split it.

Also is there a link to the recipe somewhere for a spatchcock turkey. My search and browsing found lots of posts but no definitive base recipe. Like what temp to roast it at? 
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Same process as spatching a chix (only supersized).  Here's a link addressing chix:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#chicken 
    I use a hatchet for the turkey.  Gets thru the bones with ease.  Just remember to pace the adult beverages with this process.  FWIW-
    Edit: an active thread with some good info:
    New Egg owners here, need advise for thanksgiving turkey.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Same process as spatching a chix (only supersized).  Here's a link addressing chix:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#chicken 
    I use a hatchet for the turkey.  Gets thru the bones with ease.  Just remember to pace the adult beverages with this process.  FWIW-
    Edit: an active thread with some good info:
    New Egg owners here, need advise for thanksgiving turkey.  

Good advice, friends don't let friends "hatchet" while drunk. Another good tip is to remove the wishbone once the bird is flat, makes it much easier to carve. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    I have done it myself but it's much faster to just ask the butcher to do it for you. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    There are good instructions with photos here: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/spatchcocking_and_butterflying_poultry.html . I bought a pair of tinsnips just for poultry, works great on turkey. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    X2 on the tin snips. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

A good pair of poultry shears works well.

Phoenix 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I use tin snips also. Sometimes aided by a heavy cleaver and a rubber mallet.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2016
    Options
    This is how I have done it for the past 8 years: Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened, I use a large knife)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 

Cook Turkey to temp (not time) breast @ 155 and thigh @ 165.

Cook Chicken to temp breast 160.

Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• keepervodeflame
    Options
    I am going to Spatch an 11lb turkey this year. I plan to spatch it first and then brine it over night in enough  Apple cider to cover the bird, with 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 cup orange juice (for acid and brightness). Heat the cider to cover the bird and then dissolve the salt and honey. Allow the mixture to cool completely and then pour over your turkey in a food safe container and place in the fridge over night. (I use the garage refrigerator and remove some shelves. I use a food safe plastic box that was used to hold rice. Take the turkey out of the brine Thanksgiving morning and wash it off. I lift the skin on the breast, thighs, and legs and rub a paste of fresh herbs and olive oil, with some Montreal Chicken blend under the skin. I then let the bird air dry uncovered in the fridge for about 4 hours before my cook. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I don't spatchcock turkey. If presentation matters I wouldn't do it. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2016
    Options
    There are lots of videos out there but I kind of like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Lie172c3Y

I actually think spatching makes carving easier. I carve ahead of time and bring to the table so it doesn't really matter for presentation. The only reason I haven't spatched lately is I cook a bigger bird.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Great Video.

I just convinced myself to do Mad Max on the Egg, and a spatchcock on the pellet grill. Screw the safety of the indoor oven!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Great Video.

I just convinced myself to do Mad Max on the Egg, and a spatchcock on the pellet grill. Screw the safety of the indoor oven!

I'm gonna do Mad Max on the egg and then fry one. May do spatch for Christmas. 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I've used poultry shears and a serrated bone knife.  But, normally the shears are all I need.
    Screw it use a Sawzall, band saw, angle grinder..... 5# dead blow sledgehammer :lol:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Found a HEAVY sharp knife works best for me. Just don't have the hand strength anymore for poultry shears. Getting old is getting to be a real ****. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Spatchcocking becomes pretty difficult on a turkey larger than 10-12 lbs with just kitchen shears. I order a spatchcocked 20 lb. fresh turkey from Publix... makes prep simple at home.  Ice the breast in advance, 325 dome, indirect. It will cook in approx. half the time as a whole bird.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options

@saintjohnsEgger I would highly recommend @mickey 's coffee rub as listed above. It really is fantastic for poultry in my experience. But I also got some Everglades Poultry and Seafood seasoning in the last rub and sauce exchange that was great and I would recommend it as well.

If you're making a rub, Mickey's is what I'd do though.  It's still the best for poultry in my opinion.  But, like others have said, smoke is not your friend here.  Go easy on the wood (I just use good quality lump and no wood for poultry).  It can get over smoked fast.

And to the original question, I'm a big guy so I just cut straight down each side of the back bone with a good quality knife, about 10 seconds work.  But I know that may not work for everyone.

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.