Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two turkeys on XL or 2 L's?

Options
BGE advertises the XL as capable of doing two 20lb turkeys. Did two chickens the other night on BGE V racks and roasting pans. I had to remove the grate and set them on the platesetter. Anyone here tried two turkeys on an XL? How'd you place them? Any suggestions?
Bill   Denver, CO
XL, 2L's, and MM

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've fit 2 16-18lb spatchcocked on a single grate in my XL one year and it went great. I wish I had a picture. But I put the breasts in the middle and the legs sticking out opposite directions and rotated the grate every 20 min or so.  Skin side up the entire time, raised direct just shy of 400. Both were perfect and finished around the same time.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy , do you know if there's a difference in cook time doing them that way vs keeping them in tact?
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    BilZol said:
    @Thatgrimguy , do you know if there's a difference in cook time doing them that way vs keeping them in tact?
    Yes, it cuts down a good bit. I find a Turkey is done in about an hour and a halfish (sometimes less) done this way.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I haven't ever done 2 but if I were attempting I'd maybe try beer can style side by side 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • BilZol
    Options
    I would rather keep them in tact though I'm trying to figure out why. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I heard that too when talking to the salesman.  I cook two every year, but fry one and egg one, so I've never tried the double.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    BilZol said:
    I would rather keep them in tact though I'm trying to figure out why. 
    Walking into the house with 2 flat Turkeys just does not get same "OOOHHH....AAAHHH" from the guests that a traditional Turkey gets.lol
    I understand. 
    Let us know what you do and take photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BilZol
    Options
    I deep fried at least one for many years, two last year. Last year it was snowing. Yeah, that wasn't any fun. 
    I'm doing the entire dinner on my Eggs right down to the pies. Just trying to plan out each Eggs purpose. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    What is this snowing activity you refer to?

I am going all in on BGE this thanksgiving.  Making twice baked taters, brisket, turkey, roasted veggies and pies.... Should be mighty tasty
  • bakoque
    Options
    I've done 2 12 pounders for the past few years. Just put them on the grate with a drip pan under the grate. This picture was from 2 years ago.
  • BilZol
    Options
    What is this snowing activity you refer to?

I am going all in on BGE this thanksgiving.  Making twice baked taters, brisket, turkey, roasted veggies and pies.... Should be mighty tasty
    The melted snow around the cooker was from the heat it put off. We got about 4" that day. I hate the stuff with a passion. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    bakoque said:
    I've done 2 12 pounders for the past few years. Just put them on the grate with a drip pan under the grate. This picture was from 2 years ago.
    I'm thinking the V racks will probably be a no go. I need to read upon how to tie the birds up I guess, I imagine I'll have to move them around. I'd rather do them on the XL giving me more flexibility with the other eggs. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @BilZol: i grew up, well actually ive never grown up, in wisconsin and havent seen much snow since.  az has hotter than hades summers but no white stuff and very infrequent humidity times.  No mosquitos either.  I hate and i mean hate humidity, mosquitos and krakow steel grey skies....

But, those birds look awesome.  Thats my setup on xl and this year i am making four birds for various folks who love them so much from years past.   I have two xls a large and minimax so mm qill grill sausage, large will be for one bird, xl will be for two briskets amd the other xl will be for three birds.  Thankfully the turkeys all will be done at different required times so thats good.  

I wouldnt worry about vee racks and tying up the birds.  

One thing i have done was to foil edges of birds exposed to platesetter or stone heat rising up. Ie, overhang from indirect setup can result in a scorched edge of a bird.  But two 20 lbers sit side by side nicely with no issues.  
  • bakoque
    Options
    The first time I did a turkey on the XL, it was on a V-rack set in a roasting pan. In my opinion they came out better cooking directly on the rack. For what it's worth, I usually brine them over night.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I've done a 13 and 17 same time. Put them right on the grate. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • BilZol
    Options
    On the grate it is then. I do brine overnight as well. 
    Ive actually taken the entire week off. My mother and I will do all of the prep Tuesday and Wednesday but all the cooking is being done o the Eggs. Think I might order an AR from CGS to do sides on one L, I've got a three tier BGE rack for apps on the other and will prolly do pies a day ahead or on the MiniMax. Now to put together a menu.....
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Snatched two during the summer, they were great and did not take as long as I thought. Snatched on my XL.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky