Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what size rain cap for large daisy wheel

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i'm gonna be hitting the depot right after work (and won't be able to stop off at home first) to pick up a rain cap to put over the daisy wheel over my large BGE. what size rain cap do i buy???

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    George,
    I think it is a 6" cap. Tom

• Unknown
    Options
    George,
    Just so happens that I measured my large this morning and with the metal daisy wheel without the handle the 7" will fit 6" looks too small. It will also fir my small with metal daisy and handle. HTH

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    Richard,
    Mine has an I.D. of 5 & 7/8 inches ... so I guess you would call it a 6" cap.[p]I leave the wire handle on the daisy wheel ... I just stand it up vertically then put the galvanized rain cap over the daisy.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    George,
    the main thing to remember is to use gloves or some tool to lift off a hot cap. Those babies get incredibly H O T !

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Richard,[p]so you think a 7 inch rain cap would work best? i'd like to keep the metal handle on my daisy wheel.
  • Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    Options
    George,
    7" cap will be sloppy ... use the 6" cap. Just stant the wire handle vertically and then slip the cap on. Works like a champ.

• okesmokie
    okesmokie Posts: 150
    Options
    George, I have done one low and slow that the weather looked like rain and used a plastic PVC 6 inch (L) not the schedule 40 size it’s too big but the next grade down. Fits perfect and you can reach in and make adjustments on the daisy. Looks good but it didn’t rain that night so I can’t tell if it will keep water out completely or not but I think it will. Little leery about it melting but it didn’t even faze it at 250 and it stayed on all night. I am anxious to try it again…okesmokie

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    George,
    I use the bottom part of a square one gallon milk jug.Cut off the the bottom3-4 inches, workd well and is cheap.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    IMG_0209.jpg
    <p />bill,
    Sorry bill, but I've just gotta jump in here in case some newbie takes your post as gospel. What we are talking about is a rooftop metal pipe vent to be used while egging to prevent rain from pouring in. Your suggestion of using a plastic milk jug bottle bottom is a fire hazard for cooking but I guess OK in a cold stage.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    RRP, thank you for clearing this up. I couldn't imagine what kind of cap was being discussed. Now that I know, I'll probably get one. I don't think it is ever going to rain again here in Austin, but who knows, it's possible.