Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raising a grid with bolts and washers

Options
2»

Comments

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

I see all of you guys are securing the top grate to the bottom with nuts and washers.

When I did this mod, I put the nut and washer on the bottom, to act like "feet" that way I can simply pick up the upper grate when its not in use and move it. I also like the way I did it because when you have food on both upper and lower grates I can remove the upper grate and place it on the table while I tend to the food on lower grate, this way I m not fighting with the tongs in a space that is about 4" tall.

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

My preference is to use a single bolt so that the upper grate can be swiveled  out of the way. The downside is that there needs to some food (weight) on the lower grate. The closer that single bolt is secured to bottom grate towards the perimeter the more it will swivel out of way but will increase the leverage of tipping the grates.

• HoustonEgger
    Options
    I used the weber 7440 (4x) plus 3.5" stainless bolts, nuts & washers to create a jerky stacking system. The 7440 grid size allows everything to stay centered above the plate setter, minimizing the "burnt" pieces near the edge. 

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited November 2016
    Options

I see all of you guys are securing the top grate to the bottom with nuts and washers.

When I did this mod, I put the nut and washer on the bottom, to act like "feet" that way I can simply pick up the upper grate when its not in use and move it. I also like the way I did it because when you have food on both upper and lower grates I can remove the upper grate and place it on the table while I tend to the food on lower grate, this way I m not fighting with the tongs in a space that is about 4" tall.

The mod I made to the large was as you did it. I can remove the top and as it is on "legs", I can place it over a drip tray to stop the garden table getting stained. I think I will change what I did on the MM to do this as well.

@HoustonEgger love it. I'm going to do that when I next do smoking.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------