Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Happy with $20. raised grate

Options

Saw some of these pics on the net and lots on here. Decided to go buy the hardware (stainless) and make one myself. 17" steel grate and hardware was $20 at Lowes. fits nice in my XL.

I went with 5" bolts. That way I can lower the grate if needed. Wish they had 7 or 8" length, but they didn't. Ill get some actual pics of my setup tomorrow.

I also love the idea with the extra fire ring.

With this grate being steel, is it prone to rust? It was only $10

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• Lo_Gear
    Lo_Gear Posts: 108
    Options
    Rust I'm not sure about, but I did the same set up and I had a heck of a time disassembling it because of all the grease and smoke that had worked into the threads on the bolt.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Lo_Gear said:
    Rust I'm not sure about, but I did the same set up and I had a heck of a time disassembling it because of all the grease and smoke that had worked into the threads on the bolt.

didn't think about that. Guess anti seize wouldn't work since it would probably melt off after first use.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    For that price-slather with spray cooking oil after every cook and enjoy.  Most eggcellent.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I'd be worried more about the ingredients in anti seize than with it melting off. They aren't too adjustable that's for sure. In a few uses they'll be caked with stuff. For the price you could probably make a few and still come out on top though.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida
    You're welcome :smiley:
    I use this a LOT.  And when I use to repair commercial hot side, pizza ovens in particular, this was invaluable.  Heat, smoke & airborne grease didn't phase it.  Keep in mind that it is good up to 750℉ so a clean burn will pretty much destroy it and anything else on the market so I'd just remove it if I was going that hot.  FWIW I didn't use this on my homemade raised grid.  But, this stuff DOES work.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - what do you use on your own grid (if anything)?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Stormbringer Nothing.  I made mine to be at a fixed height and truthfully I've never needed to pull it apart.  But, I can assure you it will come apart if needed.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    It will definitely rust if you don't take care of it. 
    Pit will be naturally coated in fat from being used on the egg. I always kept mine in the egg after every cook for 3 years until one fateful day this last summer. 
    I left it out and then we got a day and a half of rain. Once it cleared up I went out to light her up and the grate was all rusted out. And bad too. It isn't salvageable. Not with out a sandblaster. Leave in the egg and not in the elements and it will be fine. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great set up, a lot of useful information here. Has anyone used just 3 legs for the additional grid? Just curious, as to the stability. Thinking only 3 points are needed to define a plane, if so, it should work, maybe?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stormbringer
    edited November 2016
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Great set up, a lot of useful information here. Has anyone used just 3 legs for the additional grid? Just curious, as to the stability. Thinking only 3 points are needed to define a plane, if so, it should work, maybe?
    Yep for a MM. With our large I think I will still go for four points just to be safe.

| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Three 1/4x5" bolts are fine on my large. Plenty solid and stable. I don't plan to disassemble or adjust the height.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Yep for a MM. With our large I think I will still go for four points just to be safe.

What size grid is the upper half?  I also have a mini Max and I've been going back-and-forth between what size I need whether it's an 8 inch 9 inch or 10 inch grid
  • Stormbringer
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida it's the SS grid for a mini BGE, so 26cm (~10 inches). The bolts are 80mm, at that height it's just about right to get a spatchcock chicken in a MM without the bird touching the sides. Skin was super crispy.

Details are in my food blog at http://wp.me/p7qSlA-39C