Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who makes the best grill basket or "wok"?

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a veggie basket at Williams-Sonoma the other day (the kind made from really thin wire that has a lid on top and a detachable handle). I'm not totally happy with it. It doesn't make stirring veggies very easy.[p]So, now I'm looking for something better. Williams-Sonoma has another one on sale that they call their Nonstick Deep Grilling Wok. It looks like it would be much more useful. For $10, it seems like a decent price.[p]I am also looking to buy the Maverick ET-73, so I checked www.thegadgetsource.com to see if they had grilling "woks" since I'll be ordering the Mav from them anyway. Turns out they have two types of "wok" available. One is porcelain, the other is a stainless steel Weber model with very thin slits in it (rather than the larger round holes I've seen on the other models.)[p]I appreciate any insights folks here can provide![p]Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]Mine is a cheap one I got at Wal-Mart. It is square, black porcelian with round holes. I have used it for years. I also have a flat one I don't use as much.[p]I take veggies and toss them in olive oil and spices in a ziplock then just dump them into the pre heated wok. I don't even take it inside after use. I just turn it upside down on the grid before and after cooking to burn off any gunk. Gloves are a must.[p]I use it for mushrooms more than anything else.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]I would avoid anything non-stick on a grill. I've read warnings recently about using Teflon pans at high heat and the release of harmful substances. I've had a nice steel wok for years, but I've never been able to use it because I also have one of those flat electric cooktops that wont heat up a wok. So I started using my wok on my kettle, setting it right on a bed of glowing lump. Works well.
  • Dublin Dawg
    Options
    why1504,
    I have the same wok, and it works great for me. I have had mine for years also.

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    scole,
    I've wondered that about nonstick over high heat. That's one of the big reasons I decided to ask here.[p]Thanks!
    Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    I own several woks, both carbon steel and cast iron. I get my woks at the Wok Shop, they have a web site under the same name. They deal with only traditional Chinese woks in different sizes. I like the traditional Chinese cast iron, which are lighter than what Lodge offers. Remember to season the wok before use, on both the carbon steel and cast iron. Have a great woking.[p]Andres

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    get the stainless steel
  • pal
    pal Posts: 19
    Options
    I would like to second Zunibbq's recommendation of shopping at the Wok Shop. See the link below.

[ul][li]http://www.wokshop.com/[/ul]