Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Store visit

Options
I am not usually quick to make purchasing decisions.... After owning the egg for 6 months and being on this board I started trying to figure out what to buy next... well it only took 12 more months and frankly a store visit but I am glad I did.

Since I travel to Dallas for work often I left some time in my schedule today and drove 25 miles N and made an in store visit.

I went in there with the idea that I was likely getting a Woo and (2) half stones, but I wanted to check out the Adjustable Rigs.  Well after seriously  being showed every piece and options for the pieces I ended up going another route completely.

I ended up getting-
PSWoo- already own platesetter
Woo Platform
(2) 15" Half Stones
(1) 20# bag of rockwood- since you guys go on and on about it.

I frankly just like the simplicity of this piece of equipment over the other options.  Cant wait to try it all out this weekend when I get back home and figure out what I want to cook.

Problems solved (in my mind)
-Now have a much better indirect surface area
-Now have raised direct to felt
-Can do 1/2 direct/ 1/2 indirect
-Reverse Sear easily
-Can still use platesetter if I choose.

Kudos to the staff at Ceramic Grill Store for seriously taking all the time they did with me to help me make this decision.
XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Congrats on the restraint! I don't know how you got out of there without having to rent a u-haul. 
    Seriously, nice set-up. They were so nice and patient with me when I had called them I can only imagine how helpful they could be in person. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Congrats on the restraint! I don't know how you got out of there without having to rent a u-haul. 
    Seriously, nice set-up. They were so nice and patient with me when I had called them I can only imagine how helpful they could be in person. 
    In my mind I had a set of tools budget to get to take my egg cooking up to the next level.  I know I will be back in 6-12 months either in person or on web to get a few more accessories I held off for the short term to really get a hang of these before going back to the well.

-KAB
    -Smokeware Cap
    -Spider.. I almost added this after watching how that simple little tool could me so useful.
    -Oval Stone

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • BilZol
    Options
    I'm weak. I would have filled up the pickup. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Ha!  I go to work in Westlake, TX quite a bit from Boston and have meant to do this same thing. Quite happy with my set up I ordered over the phone from these fine folks. I feel they could do their products, and their customer base, a great service by producing comparative videos of their offerings. The site is somewhat confusing. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • BilZol
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Explain to me this word "restraint"? I have seen it used often in posts, but I have no idea how to use it in any sentence remotely associated with the "BIG GREEN" Egg.
    I think you just referenced The Princess Bride.
    #1 Awesome movie
    #2 You are totally correct...

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Great addition!!!  You'll love the WOO
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I could never go into that store. Ever. Never. No way. Nope. Couldn't do it. No way, no how. 

Now......if I ever had a desire for a quick and easy divorce. I would definitely go into that store. Absolutely. In a heartbeat. Instantaneously. For sure!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    I could never go into that store. Ever. Never. No way. Nope. Couldn't do it. No way, no how. 

Now......if I ever had a desire for a quick and easy divorce. I would definitely go into that store. Absolutely. In a heartbeat. Instantaneously. For sure!
    You could only spend so much money in there. Not divorce material. A drunken weekend in Vegas could be very expensive 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

You could only spend so much money in there. Not divorce material. A drunken weekend in Vegas could be very expensive 
    You only need one night in Vegas. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Raised direct is a great method for most things I cook, I hope you enjoy it!

I didn't know a half stone was available, let me get the wallet. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options

You only need one night in Vegas. 
    Very true... 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    You got out of there cheap. I spent nearly 3 bills, then got home and ordered more. I have a problem. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Had a chance finally to try out using the new parts and pieces, was smoking some Jalapenos for last nights Chili- (no pics though).

I used the PSWoo with the (2) half stones to get a full circle like this.

I wanted to keep the temp lower so I stabilized the egg for 30 min at 225 before inserting all this.  Was surprised to see my egg temp drop to and hold at 175 or so.  Had to remove the daisy wheel and open the bottom up ~1.5" to get the temp back up.  After 45 min I could tell it was going to start creeping and finally had the Daisy wheel and bottom vent back to where it usually is for those temps.

This set up really changed the airflow through the egg that I will now have to compensate for, glad I did a trial cook 1st yesterday.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tom is a good EGG!
    And one of the nicest guys around.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.