Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - E. coli

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,237
My beautiful wife just got home from the hospital. She is on the mend and will recover fully, but boy let me tell you. I would not wish that upon my worst enemy. It wasn't from anything I/we cooked, but I will be extra careful when preparing raw meats and vegetables. Sincerely hope that none of you have to experience that.
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Somehow I've been lucky enough to escape E coli so far.......glad she's OK.  From what I hear it's horrendous.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Good PSA.

Hoping the MRSA, VRE, ESBL, C-diff, and who knows what else that are probably in my system, will fend them off.  Two bouts of pneumonia since working in the hospital only 6 years ago.  The last one I was contemplating a hospital stay, it sucked.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fence0407
    Options
    Somehow I've been lucky enough to escape E coli so far.......glad she's OK.  From what I hear it's horrendous.  
    Thanks - I consider myself lucky for not getting it from her. You've heard correctly, it is horrendous!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    Focker said:
    Good PSA.

Hoping the MRSA, VRE, ESBL, C-diff, and who knows what else that are probably in my system, will fend them off.  Two bouts of pneumonia since working in the hospital only 6 years ago.  The last one I was contemplating a hospital stay, it sucked.
    All of that stuff is no joke! It took us 3 emergency room visits before they admitted her in. If there is ever a next time, we will demand a stay on the first trip!
    Cumming, GA  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,191
    Options
    I feel so bad for your wife. I was hospitalized from salmonella poisoning. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. 

PS: PM me if you need a good lawyer specializing in food cases. 
  • fence0407
    Options
    I feel so bad for your wife. I was hospitalized from salmonella poisoning. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. 

Sorry to hear you've had experience in this area. She said it was the worst pain she's ever been in (that includes having an appendectomy). I don't know that we know exactly where she got it from. Not sure we have anyone to blame.
    Cumming, GA  

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    fence0407 said:

Sorry to hear you've had experience in this area. She said it was the worst pain she's ever been in (that includes having an appendectomy). I don't know that we know exactly where she got it from. Not sure we have anyone to blame.
    Make sure it gets reported to the local health department. They gather info and find out who the culprit is. If you haven't done so already, write down as much as you/her can remember about everything she ate the week prior. They'll ask for that info. 
  • fence0407
    Options
    fence0407 said:

Make sure it gets reported to the local health department. They gather info and find out who the culprit is. If you haven't done so already, write down as much as you/her can remember about everything she ate the week prior. They'll ask for that info. 
    Didn't know all of that- thanks! I will pass the word along.
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I am sorry to hear this Mark. I have heard it is rough! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fence0407
    Options
    I am sorry to hear this Mark. I have heard it is rough! 
    Thanks John - it ain't pretty!
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Not knowing where it came from would be scary as well. Getting it again would be awful. 

• fence0407
    Options
    Not knowing where it came from would be scary as well. Getting it again would be awful. 
    Agreed - we think it was possibly from a meal at her parent's house last weekend. Her brother was in the hospital with colitis (originally what she was diagnosed with). But his never tested positive for E. coli. Just doesn't seem right to me that they ate the same meal and got sick at the same time. No one else who ate the meal got sick - just them two. :s
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Hopefully it will never happen again. I know it has been a rough week for both of you. 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options

Glad she is feeling better!

Any quarantine precautions taken? 

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• fence0407
    Options

Glad she is feeling better!

Any quarantine precautions taken? 

Thanks! The doctor at one point yesterday recommended her room be isolated. But the nurses said it wasn't necessary. We've been overly cautious though and have cleaned everything, if it wasn't thrown away. After seeing what it does to you, we wanted no one else to to catch it.
    Cumming, GA  

• DaveRichardson
    Options

I'm with @Focker, from all the crap that floats around MD offices and hospitals, I'm just lucky that all the bad things that only go by initials haven't gotten me yet.

Haven't known anyone that done the E. Coli.....  I've just read case reports and it ready nasty....  Glad she is coming thru the worst of it.  That, like kidney stones, is something that I wouldn't wish on my enemies.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I'm glad she is on the mend.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm glad your lady is getting better. That's a horrible and painful thing to go through. No joke...eating out you're twice as likely to get sick from mishandled or out of temp salad as you are from meat. Why? because bacteria can really thrive in moist foliage. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My oldest son had a bout with salmonella. Bad stuff. 

• fence0407
    Options

I'm with @Focker, from all the crap that floats around MD offices and hospitals, I'm just lucky that all the bad things that only go by initials haven't gotten me yet.

Haven't known anyone that done the E. Coli.....  I've just read case reports and it ready nasty....  Glad she is coming thru the worst of it.  That, like kidney stones, is something that I wouldn't wish on my enemies.

I'd be paranoid if I had to work in a hospital. 
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    I'm glad she is on the mend.
    Appreciate that!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    I'm glad your lady is getting better. That's a horrible and painful thing to go through. No joke...eating out you're twice as likely to get sick from mishandled or out of temp salad as you are from meat. Why? because bacteria can really thrive in moist foliage. 
    Thank you Blake! That makes a lot of sense. 
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    My oldest son had a bout with salmonella. Bad stuff. 
    I've heard that is just as bad as E. coli. No thank you!
    Cumming, GA  

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    It's worse than kidney stones. Drugs can kill the stone pain... Nothing works for E Coli and Salmonella. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    My beautiful wife just got home from the hospital. She is on the mend and will recover fully, but boy let me tell you. I would not wish that upon my worst enemy. It wasn't from anything I/we cooked, but I will be extra careful when preparing raw meats and vegetables. Sincerely hope that none of you have to experience that.

Don't eat sunny side up eggs in Mexico

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smokeybreeze
    Options
    If it's anything like dysentery I can feel her pain.
    Thank goodness she's on the upswing.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I can proudly say my cooking has never sickened anyone. One of my biggest fears.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

I always get a kick out of people that call in sick to work and claim to have maybe eaten something bad and have food poisoning or e-coli.  I always try to explain to them, that their bogus excuse for calling in sick could not possibly be either of those two things, as you would be extremely aware due to the pain one is suffering.  If you want the day off, just ASK!!

very glad to hear she is through the battle and mending up now!  Under cooked food is always a fear if mine as well, which is probably why I always cook things with Medium in mind vs. anything less.  Now that I have learned the power of cooking to temp instead of time, I am not quite as fearful.

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California