Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking butt, won't stay lit

Options
Ok, so I've tried smoking a couple Boston butts overnight, and each time they go out in guessing around 5am. Last night I cleaned the whole inside, filled with new lump, lit at 9&3 with looflighter, got temp up to 275,put in placesetter, drip pan , grate, waited till it got back up to bout temp and put meat on. It just kept falling after that though, had a hard time stabilizing. Finally I felt it was fairly stable, went to bed, got up at 3 and checked, up to boot 290, adjusted a touch (may have been my death), then went back to bed. Up at 730, therm reading 60. What am I doing wrong? Can someone give me advice on how to get the fires going and temp up including vents placement as well. I love my egg but I don't like it much right now. Haha thanks and sorry for run on sentences 

Comments

• GoodyFH
    Options
    I did notice this morning that when I put the fire ring back in it wasn't perfectly center but it was facing the vent 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    If the temp is falling, it's being starved of oxygen. Without a controller, I would suggest getting the Egg to temp and letting it sit there for about an hour before you put the meat on. Make sure you have a full load of lump. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    How much lump?  My first cooks were that I did not realize how much lump I can put in there! Also, light it all and get it going long before you need to so you are 100% sure it is stable, then when you put the meat on, lave it alone....it will get back where you want it to, it will just take it a while.  

Personally, I invested in a temp control...FlameBoss200...as sleep is important to me, and most of my long cooks happen on Sunday  which I have to Golf in the morning!!!!  Best money I have spent so far IMHO.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    Load the thing up with lump. Get it started an hour before you plan to start your meat. Light your lump in the center, vents wide open, Daisy wheel off. Let it ride til it hits 300 or so. Put your plate setter in or whatever you're using for indirect. Choke it back to 1/2" on the bottom vent, Daisy wheel about 1/4 open. Let it stabilize, fine tune it and it should sit there for the next 16 hours. My egg likes 270-280. Anything less than that and it is inconsistent without a controller. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I always leave bottom vent wide open on all my eggs, just have screen closed. Unless it's windy I don't understand why peopl choke it. On std daisy wheel, once I'm up to temp a dime edge slice will hole 225 for me. Pencil earaser hole on smokeware cap. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    What are your vent settings?  On my XL I have it wide open till it greys to 200, then I sit the vents from an 1/8"-1/4".  When it has sat at 225 to 250 for 45 to an hour I put the meat on.  I then stay up for another hour to make sure it is going to stay there.  Now I have a wireless temp gauge I use to monitor the cook.  Alarms are set at 165 for the grate. Now this is mostly for brisket.  

For pork butt I cook it at 275 till it get to about 150 then take it up to over 300 to get it done.   I can do 9 pound one done in about 6 hours.  Plenty of smoke, taste great and I didn't have to cook it a6 hours.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tikigriller
    edited October 2016
    Options
    BilZol said:
    I always leave bottom vent wide open on all my eggs, just have screen closed. Unless it's windy I don't understand why peopl choke it. On std daisy wheel, once I'm up to temp a dime edge slice will hole 225 for me. Pencil earaser hole on smokeware cap. 
    This is what I do.  After the first few cooks I did, and then changed to this strategy, I found it so much easier and stable....then I bought a Flame Boss.  LOL

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    When your dome temp is steady before adding food. Don't adjust immediately after adding food. 

Your meat is cold, and drags down the temp of the system for a while even though the fire is the same fire. 

The dome thermo cools off too when you open it. 

The fire though. Well. It gets bigger (or can), because opening the dome adds a LOT more air than was getting in the lower vent

so. Fire is a 250-sized fire (it hilds at 250). Open dome. Dome thermo gets cooler, and meat temp is cooler. 

Fire gets a big gulp of air and starts growing a bit, only temporarily though (because vents are the same).

shut the dome. Observe thermo. "Crap. Says 200". Meanwhile the fire is actually growing from the extra air, but the meat is a heat sink being mostly water. So the thermo doesn't rise 

Open the vents to increase air flow. 

The fire gets bigger and stabilizes at 250 for a while, but the meat is still pretty cold. And the heat of your now-much-larger-than-250 fire is going into the meat. 

When it finally overcomes the recovery, you'll see the temp climb. Because now the larger fire is heating up the whole system and the dome temp reflects the true fire size
  • BilZol
    Options
    BilZol said:
    This is what I do.  After the first few cooks I did, and then changed to this strategy, I found it so much easier and stable....then I bought a Flame Boss.  LOL
    For the long overnighters, especially when I'm using more then one egg, I use a controller as well. Peace of mind without a doubt. If I'm up though I don't go through the trouble of pulling them out. I prolly did a dozen cooks before I got one though. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    For long cooks, controllers are your friend and a wise investment. My Flame Boss 200 has been a godsend..............set the pit and it keeps it rolling spot-on until the cook is done. 

The FB has been the best investment I've made in my Egg.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    My controller is a daisy 
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I have more "fun" cooking on the Egg without the controller...no doubt about it.  The main reason I bought the controller, was because I usually get 1 day off a week, so I have lots of chores, as well as 3 boys and an active wife, plus a golf game, so the controller was the best investment I have made as well so I could set it and forget it.  I never use it on anything that cooks in less than 2 hours.

I am very glad I did not get it though when I bought the Egg. Even if I got it fairly soon after, I probably had 20+ cooks already, and the knowledge I gained on temp control in that time is invaluable.  

Livermore, California
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Purist here.

No monitor. 

Clean Egg, full load of lump, let temp stabilize. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Read @JustineCaseyFeldown post above.  All you need to know.  But to help with that I generally light at least two hours before the protein goes on for an over-night cook.  Stable for at least an hour and then load the meat.  Runs just fine.  With the long distance capacity of the BGE - no need to sacrifice time on the front end of a L&S cook.  At my age, I get a guaranteed wake-up call about half way thru and things are as they should be.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoodyFH
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I think I just get impatient and mess with it too much. I'll let yall know how the next one turns out. The good thing I've found though is, if it doesn't turn out or go quite as I planned it's  still pretty dog gone good! 
  • GoodyFH
    Options
    BilZol said:
    Does this not burn through the lump quicker? I'm still ignorant to all this so that maybe a dumb question 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The amount of lump that burns depends on the amount of air that flows through the egg.  More air = more lump burning = higher temps.  You can control the air flow by restricting the opening at the entry or exit points - your choice.  

Always remember that there is a time lag between making changes to getting stable temps.  You need to be have patience and not mess with the settings too much.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I've only had two fires go out - both were prior to getting a high flow fire grate, and both were when I was trying to make the most out of pulverized bags of lump.

Phoenix 
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    I use the Auber pit controller.  Prior best upgrade before that was to go to Hi_Que charcoal grate--the factory grate has less airflow.  So, try the HiQue charcoal grate.
  • BilZol
    Options
    GoodyFH said:
    BilZol said:
    Does this not burn through the lump quicker? I'm still ignorant to all this so that maybe a dumb question 
    Btu's are btu's. If you maintain a temp it's not using any more lump then it needs. The vent being open just insures that the oxygen you need is available when you need it. The daisy wheel will regulate how much you need. You've got to have fuel, fire, and oxygen. So if you have lump in there and you lit it on fire you are missing oxygen. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Read @JustineCaseyFeldown post above.  All you need to know.  But to help with that I generally light at least two hours before the protein goes on for an over-night cook.  Stable for at least an hour and then load the meat.  Runs just fine.  With the long distance capacity of the BGE - no need to sacrifice time on the front end of a L&S cook.  At my age, I get a guaranteed wake-up call about half way thru and things are as they should be.  FWIW-

Jeezus Lou. He's got enough fans here already! Know what you mean about the middle of the night calls.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BilZol
    Options
    Let me add though, if it's real windy you may need to close it up some, the wind can act like a turbo or a supercharger and force oxygen in. 
    Also, if you use a temp controller, doesn't matter the brand, you have to find a sweet spot in the daisy wheel. If your temps stay high, it may be open too much, if they fluctuate constantly from under to over it may be choked too much. The motor should be able to produce the amount of air your open vent at the bottom would naturally. If you use a 5 copper blower on an XL or an offset for instance it will give you airflow problems equivalent to having lower damper choked too much. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    I light my lump in 3 or 4 spots when I do an overnight cook. I have never had a problem with fires going out and I'm old-fashioned when it comes to controllers - I'm the controller not some electronic thingy.

I have a Large BGE and I adjust both the daisy wheel and the bottom vent to get the air flow that I need. Perhaps this is because I should probably replace what's left of my gasket since I've clean-burned my egg too many times for the OEM gasket to have survived 8 years in immaculate condition.
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I ,for one, would think about lousy charcoal as well.  Damp, ton of crumbs, to name a few.  The fact it did it twice makes you wonder.  You get the Egg setup vent wise running constant temps should go for a long time.  I'm old school too, shouldn't need all the electronics to make it work long, low, and slow.  But that's me:):):):)
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Guru setup will solve the problem...
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    AD18 said:
    I ,for one, would think about lousy charcoal as well.  Damp, ton of crumbs, to name a few.  The fact it did it twice makes you wonder.  You get the Egg setup vent wise running constant temps should go for a long time.  I'm old school too, shouldn't need all the electronics to make it work long, low, and slow.  But that's me:):):):)

Ditto.  I also have an XL, and what works for me (YMMV) is I use 1/2 a weber chimney all red hot, dump it into pile in the center of a cleaned out firebox, then fill it to just over the firebox/fire ring line on top of that. Then push in smoking wood chunks/chips in ridings around that hot center. I put in the PLS, a drip pan (with air spacers), then the grate.  set the lower to ~1/2 inch, daisy to slid open about a nickel thickness with petals ~1/2. Let it set for ~20 minutes, and then throw in the meat.  Then check it about 30-40 minutes later and then go to bed.  I think I had a flame-out once due to damp lump. Each Egg has a mind of its own and a "sweet spot" temp.  Mine is right around 275 and it will stay there for more than 18hrs if necessary.