Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Question

Options
I'm diving head first into making my own dough and had a question for the experts. 

Ive made my dough following this mellow mushroom copycat recipe

http://www.larkandlola.com/2013/04/favorite-things-friday-no2-favorite.html?m=1

My question is this: is it okay to let the dough 'rest' in the fridge for 2 days prior to use? 

Also, if I decide to freeze it, how long would you recommend keeping it frozen prior to use?

Pic of my yeast and finished dough ball attached. 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

Comments

• girbim
    girbim Posts: 25
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The pizza book American Pie recommends up to 3 days in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer.  I never freeze my dough.  I divide the dough and throw the dough balls in Ziploc bags with olive oil before putting them in the fridge.  The dough flavor improves after the first day.  I have gone as long as four days, but the bread gets a bit of a sour smell.  

I didn't look at the recipe at first, so I didn't know why the dough was so dark.  I may have to try the recipe.

Large BGE

Minneapolis, MN
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I refrigerate mine for up to 4 days. Three seems to be the best. Sometimes, I buy dough balls from my local grocery store. One of them has good stuff - none of the others do. I always look at the "Made on" date and buy 2-3 day old dough so I can have pizza that night. Just be sure to take it out of the fridge at least two hours before trying to shape the pie.

I don't usually freeze it, though some do.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ThrillSeeker
    Options
    On any given day I'm feeding between 6 and 15 people. Now that I Think about it, Freezing it may not even be an option. 

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    I've frozen extra pizza dough for a few months and never had a problem with it.  
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    A longer the rest in the fridge develops more flavor in the dough.  I'm fond of the King Arthur Flour no knead artisan dough recipe, which says the dough can rest in fridge for up to 6 days (I think my max is 4) after the initial 24 hours on the counter.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Refrigerated slow fermentation brings a good dough to a whole different level IMHO. I usually go 2-4 days. And freezing excess dough balls is fine. I've went as long as 3 months with no issue. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL