Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Annual Ski Trip

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Love this post, and FWIW, My Beautiful Wife and I, along with my SIL, put together our top 10 for us:

1 ) Taos
    2 ) Crested Butte
    3 ) Beaver Creek
    4 ) SLC
    5 ) Big Sky
    6) Snowmass
    7) Tahoe
    8) Whistler
    9) Telluride
    10) Steamboat

Having a family member living out of the country availed some locations in Austria, France, Switzerland, that were "one timers" for us. Of those, Austria, no doubt about it, and twice on Sundays.

Days of black diamond skiing, for me, are over. Legs are toast. Boarding it these days, and that is dependent on being able to walk when I get up. Age, the absolute and total disregard for Sir Issac Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically as it pertains to the human body, has taken its toll. But man, what a ride it has been.

VRBO is great advise. Google the location, check the images. Best insight I can give; keep exploring, don't become mundane, go places you have never been.

Whatever you decide, have fun. Folks on here are experts and know the art and science of skiing. Me? I just know I love doing it, no matter where we end up.

See you at the bottom.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    What a great thread, and love reading all the suggestions and hearing about experiences. I skied quite a bit thru the 90's, college and pre marriage/kids days, mostly in Summit County, CO. Took at 20 year break (stuff happens), started back up 5 years ago and cannot get enough. I'm a first guy on the lift, long lunch, last off the mountain kind of guy. Mostly blues, I've got a lot to live for so I stay off blacks.

I'll throw in a vote for Winter Park, CO. Our experience is that it is 2.5-3 hours from landing at DIA to checking in to condo in WP (obviously if the weather is a mess you can forget that)

Denver is also the easiest and cheapest ski airport to get to from my home in Nashville, so that factors into where we ski -- and man I want to get to the places listed in this thread.

Anyway, the combined Winter Park/Mary Jane ski area is massive, whatever your ski level there is plenty of terrain. Great Tree Skiing too, and tree skiing on green/blue runs so you can go at a reasonable speed (the older I get the slower I go). We VRBO a condo at the base (Founders Pointe or Zephyr Mtn Lodge).

My days in the mountains look exactly like @Sea2Ski so I don't mind that the apres ski scene in WP is lame. We usually get take out and watch a movie in the condo at night these days.

We have repeated this trip the last several winters, which is unusual because we rarely do the same thing twice.  

Y'all keep safe out there
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Hard to say without skiing with you for a day!  If you are serious skiers/boarders and can't mke Jackson Hole, the Big Sky is the ticket - especially if you're going at peak times and over any school holidays or big weekends. Plus I just like the mountain better - but Jackson Hole is by far our favorite. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Love this post, and FWIW, My Beautiful Wife and I, along with my SIL, put together our top 10 for us:

1 ) Taos
    2 ) Crested Butte
    3 ) Beaver Creek
    4 ) SLC
    5 ) Big Sky
    6) Snowmass
    7) Tahoe
    8) Whistler
    9) Telluride
    10) Steamboat

That's a solid list!   I've been to all of those except Taos and Snowmass.  I'm not sure why Snowmass keeps getting dropped off my visit list.  Taos always makes the cut but it's a little harder to get to for us.

We did an NCAA style bracket one time of all the places we'd been and Jackson came out on top (10 years ago).  But that was before I'd been to Telluride.  That place is beautiful.  Crested Butte was my first trip out west.  Loved it.  Need to get back there.

I'm in a sharing mood this morning, so if you want to watch a couple applicable ski flicks with your morning coffee or bloody, here are two from a steamboat trip a couple years ago;  Resort and Snowcat.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I love Snowmass, but it's  a long drive from Denver and depending where you're coming from flying into Aspen can be tricky.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    stonewh said:
    I would love to do Canada but I feel like travel time would take up a lot of our trip, especially since we are only looking at 5 days, 3 to ski.

Would you be driving to Montana or Utah? Western Canada or Quebec have some great runs.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @KiterTodd those are some great videos. That kite skiing looks like a lot of fun and that power looks like some serious fluff. 
    Snellville, GA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @KiterTodd those are some awesome vids. I snowboard too, but I haven't seen enough powder to negotiate it like that.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KiterTodd
    Options
    Thanks @Eggdicted_Dawgfan and @SmokeyPitt
    Those were good trips for sure!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    edited October 2016
    Options

After skiing the usual places, Copper Mtn., Crested Butte, Deer Valley, Vail, etc., etc., we decided to purchase a vacation home in Big Sky.  That was 10 years ago and we have not regretted it.  It is beautiful, the skiing is great, huge mountain, and best of all, no lift lines.  Not as easy to get to as some ski areas, but that's exactly why you don't have crazy lift lines.  If you'd like to discuss, let me know and I'll PM my phone # to you.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• da87
    Options
    What a beautiful spot!  Hoping to get back to Big Sky or Jackson this winter - too many years in a row to Utah. 

I see the gasser on the porch, is there an egg lurking around somewhere?  ;-)
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    @BBQBuddy that is a beautiful mountain home!  I love when they build them to be able to take several feet of snow on the roof with no maintenance required.  Just there waiting for you with a few dry logs to throw on the fire and warm the place up.  Solid.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • BBQBuddy
    Options
    da87 said:
    What a beautiful spot!  Hoping to get back to Big Sky or Jackson this winter - too many years in a row to Utah. 

I see the gasser on the porch, is there an egg lurking around somewhere?  ;-)
    Indeed, there is a large BGE!!

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you know what runs to go on... Doesn't matter what mountain you choose or what time of day/year, the runs are empty.  Here are a few pics from copper and breck on a saturday during spring break.  What ever place you choose, ask advice from someone on good runs.  

Some people are are exaggerating lift lines I think.  The new lifts in all of the colorado places are so fast and big, I have never waited more that 2 minutes on BUSY days.  

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @BBQBuddy that is a sweet setup you have there! I see big sky in my near future. 
    Snellville, GA

• BBQBuddy
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    @BBQBuddy that is a beautiful mountain home!  I love when they build them to be able to take several feet of snow on the roof with no maintenance required.  Just there waiting for you with a few dry logs to throw on the fire and warm the place up.  Solid.
    Thanks.  It is quite the getaway for us.  That picture was taken from the ski run behind the house.  

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @BBQBuddy do you rent that place out? 
    Snellville, GA

• BBQBuddy
    Options
    @BBQBuddy do you rent that place out? 
    Sorry, we do not.
    But others with similar Mountain Homes do.  Check out Big Sky Luxury Rentals.  This is the entrance to the development, which is called Moonlight Basin.  

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I don't blame you at all. I wouldn't rent it out either. I'll check Big Sky rentals. Are they all ski in/ski out in your community? 
    Snellville, GA

• BBQBuddy
    Options

It is equally, if not more beautiful in the summertime in Big Sky.  This is the view 2 1/2 weeks ago from my perch at the Moonlight Basin golf clubhouse.  I just thought it was cool how the beer taps lined up w/ the peak.  

Son in law enjoying the view.

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I'm trying to think of something nicer to say than "you suck"! Need another son? Part time is fine. 
    Snellville, GA

• BBQBuddy
    Options
    I don't blame you at all. I wouldn't rent it out either. I'll check Big Sky rentals. Are they all ski in/ski out in your community? 
    Check out the Moonlight Mountain Homes throughout this link:  https://vacationbigsky.com/accommodation.php?locid=133

They all say they are ski in/out, but some are better than others.
    The Mountain Home that the address is "1 Hidden Trail" is across the street from mine.
    Yellowstone is just over an hr drive south of Big Sky if that interests you for snowmobiling there.
    Btw, I seed you're in GA - Delta runs a nonstop from Atlanta during high seasons.
    Geez, I should be working for the Chamber of Commerce.  LOL

Got plenty of dependents, thx.  

• da87
    Options
    Love to see the Egg on the deck!  Son just called to tell me he's heli-skiing in Canada this winter and to invite me along!  Pretty cool when they start planning awesome ski trips and including the parents.
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• BBQBuddy
    Options
    da87 said:
    Love to see the Egg on the deck!  Son just called to tell me he's heli-skiing in Canada this winter and to invite me along!  Pretty cool when they start planning awesome ski trips and including the parents.
    That's really great..ski fast, take chances.  

• da87
    Options
    Always - family rule, if one goes another must follow!  Get's me into amazing places following my now adult kids, both were snowboard instructors in VT during their high school winters. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I just realized, like @fishlessman said, you need to hit a place like Mad River Glen if you want to grow hair on your chest. I'm a snowboarder so I'll have to hike it. Ski it if you can!
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    You've gotten a ton of responses already but check out epicski.com. It's the ski equivalent to the knowledge found on this forum. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    Check out the Moonlight Mountain Homes throughout this link:  https://vacationbigsky.com/accommodation.php?locid=133

They all say they are ski in/out, but some are better than others.
    The Mountain Home that the address is "1 Hidden Trail" is across the street from mine.
    Yellowstone is just over an hr drive south of Big Sky if that interests you for snowmobiling there.
    Btw, I seed you're in GA - Delta runs a nonstop from Atlanta during high seasons.
    Geez, I should be working for the Chamber of Commerce.  LOL

Got plenty of dependents, thx.  

Thanks for the great info @BBQBuddy . Bookmarked. 
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    @da87 looking forward to the pics from that trip. Be safe! 
    Snellville, GA

• KiterTodd
    Options
    I just realized, like @fishlessman said, you need to hit a place like Mad River Glen if you want to grow hair on your chest. I'm a snowboarder so I'll have to hike it. Ski it if you can!
    Do I recall that you're around me in MD somewhere?  If so, we'll have to hit a local slope together this winter!  :plus_one:
    LBGE/Maryland