Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A couple of pies tonight.

Options
Hasenpheffer
Hasenpheffer Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSCN3202.jpg
<p />Turned out pretty well I must say.[p]Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Comments

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    Hasenpheffer,[p]I did four pies myself this evening. Went to get the camera, and came back to a platter of nothing but corn meal.[p]yummy though. [p]p.s. nice beer choice. That's what I had too.
  • Hasenpheffer
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    LOL, can't turn your back for a minute! I don't think there's anything you can cook faster on the egg either. [p]Yeah, the beer isn't bad. I just hope it makes a difference with the cholesterol thing. BTW, how are you doing? You got any of that WGC left?

• Unknown
    Options
    Hasenpheffer, they look great. What was your set-up and cooking temperature, and how long did you let the egg heat up before you put them on? Would like to copy something that looks that good.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Hasenpheffer,
    Man!, That pic made me catch my breath! Beautiful![p]Mike

• Hasenpheffer
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    Thanks for the complement![p]When cooking pizzas I always clean the firebox out to make sure I get good airflow. I may reuse some of the bigger pieces of lump and put them on top of fresh lump. Setup was a plate setter and pizza stone. Before putting the pizza in, wipe off the stone with a damp rag (this helps prevent sticking). I cooked the pies between 550 and 600 degrees which for about 5-7 minutes each. It should only takes about 10-15 minutes to reach that temp if you have a clean firebox. Give it a try![p]

• Hasenpheffer
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    Thanks again for the complement. I think the wife and daughter liked them as well. BTW, I need to get in contact with you about a couple of those beauriful hand crafted utensils.

• Unknown
    Options
    Hasenpheffer, thanks for the info. I only have one additional question: You said it only takes 10-15 minutes to reach that temperature, but do you not have to wait longer than that for the plate setter and stone to get hot and give you a good crust?

• Hasenpheffer
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,
    I guess at those high temps all the ceramics heat up quickly. If you like, you can of course bring the temp up slower with the help of the daisy wheel. Make sure to post some pics!

• Unknown
    Options
    Hasenpheffer, well if the ceramics got hot enough for you that fast, there would be no reason to bring the temp up more slowly. Thanks again.

• Unknown
    Options
    Hasenpheffer,[p]Is a pizza screen used or are you placing the pie directly on the pizza stone? I assume the plate setter is feet down. If so, are you using anything to separate the stone from the plate setter? So many questions, but it looks so good I wanna try it. So far my pizzas come out okay, just the bottom gets cooked faster than the top. From your pic, you are getting good heat for the top. How's the pizza bottom, does it get a little charred or is it a nice brown? [p]Thanks for the post,
    Howard

• Hasenpheffer
    Options
    Howard,
    Correct on all accounts...I'm using the plate-setter feet down directly on the fire ring. The pizza stone sits directly on the plate setter and the pizza is put directly on the stone right after I wipe it down with a damp towel/cloth. The bottom of the crust was perfect but one thing I left out earlier is that I try and rotate the pizza about half way through the cook just in case there is a hot spot on the stone.