Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Chunk CHILI!

Options
Home today and felt like cooking so decided to make Chili with what I have around.  So, not my usual pointed shopping trip or proportions, but I’ll see what I can do. 

In the freezer I had,

2 lbs. of ground beef
1 lbs. of pork sausage and
2.5 lbs. of cubed Angus I had bought for beef stew.

I decided to smoke the beef chunks outside while I do all the other prep inside.  Then when it’s all married together, I’ll shift the dutch oven to the egg and let it simmer/smoke a bit there.  Might move it inside later if I have to run errands, but by then all the magic should be infused!

To that I added 4 sautéed onions, can of crushed tomatoes, 2 cans of sauce, garlic, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, S&P, green chili powder, and some water.  I think that’s it for now.  Oh yeah, also chopped up a large tomato we had in the fridge.

I rubbed the meat cubes in typical chili seasoning (red chili powder, green chili powder, cumin) and some DP Cow Lick just because.  Had a light toss in mustard first to let everything stick.

I was going to kabob the meat, but this grill basked seemed a lot easier.

It was on the egg with some Apple chunks smoking for an hour at 250.  For the record, an hour is too long for cubed meat!  It came out medium-well to well-done.  But past experience with some overcooked venison leads me to believe that if it simmers in the chili for a few hours, it’ll still be fall apart tender.  We’ll see...

Adding in the goods...

Yup, BEANS!

Aaaaaaand, on to the egg with the lid off.

I threw some new wood chunks down the side and we'll see what happens.  

I usually slow cook it for a few hours, re-season to taste halfway and then add some corn the last 30 minutes.   This batch won't be that spicy as I want the family to enjoy it!  But, the smoked meat had a little kick to it.  So I'll see what that adds to the chili.  Check back with you later. 
:plus_one:
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That looks fantastic... Enjoy..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    Options
    I plan on trying chili this Fall, that looks great
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    n8er said:
    I plan on trying chili this Fall, that looks great
    Ha! Yeah, not really my typical 80 degree summer day cook.  But our freezer was empty of chili and I had enough to make a batch.  :)

My beans are getting smoked!!!!!   Better stir it...

Much better.  :smile:

LBGE/Maryland
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looks good.  Crank up the AC so it's cold in the house and the chili will be perfect!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• KiterTodd
    Options
    And that's a wrap!
    I think that was one of the best batches I've ever made.
    (I say that every time)
    My wife said it was too spicy.
    (she says that every time)

I told you we add corn to it.  Somewhere I started doing this from a "Texas style" chili recipe, but now I do it every time.  Like the added color and I figure a few more vegetables I can get into the kids never hurts.  :wink:

I do admit it was a tad spicy (which I liked) but can't figure out what caused it.  I specifically kept the black pepper low and didn't add any cayenne or other hot peppers.   I have 3 theories;

1. My idea of keeping the black pepper content low is not that low after all
    2. The DP Cow Lick I rubbed on the meat chunks is spicy? 
    3. I added a good bit of "green chili powder" which I don't think is hot. Has never tasted hot, despite the bag being labeled "hot green chili powder."  Maybe it's hot.

Anyway, damn good Chili!  Wish you guys were here to try it.  Faaaaantastic!
    :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that bowl of chili at all.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    That last picture!!! In doing chili this weekend now. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Robo2015
    Robo2015 Posts: 267
    Options
    Looks great! 
    A Lonely Single Large Egg

North Shore of Massachusetts
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That's a winner man!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Thanks guys!   Realized another benefit of cooking it on the egg....my entire house won't smell like chili for 3 days!  
    LBGE/Maryland
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Great looking bowl of "red"!
    Personally, it's nothing without beans.   :bow:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jstewart12a
    jstewart12a Posts: 144
    Options
    Well done. All that's missing is a handful of corn chips. 
    1 LBGE. Winder, GA
  • lahlooha
    Options
    So the main takeaway for using the Egg to make Chili (other than smoking the meat) is smoking the finished product? 

BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Making Chile tomm night with left over brisket. Daughter and SIL coming over Friday for dinner and requested it. Yours looks fantastic, well done. I agree as mentioned above on the corn chips. Looks like I gotta make cornbread too.  
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Corn? I am going to try it. Thanks!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Looks good.  Well done!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Nice idea with the corn. I have never been a fan of beans in chili so I will try the corn. Well done!
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'll take a heaping bowl. Looks great. 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Chili weather is upon us, Great Job!!
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    That looks mighty tasty. This might sound strange, but add some chopped dill pickle on top of the sour cream. It's actually very good. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    lahlooha said:
    So the main takeaway for using the Egg to make Chili (other than smoking the meat) is smoking the finished product? 

I've seen it done several different ways on the forum.  For me, if I am able to put some smoked meat into it, I'll do it.  However, just cooking a big pot of it open on the egg seems to add a subtle lump flavor characteristic.  And if nobody but you notices, well, it's still a fun way to cook and your house won't smell like chili for a week.  :)

Someone in the past said that the more often you stir it, the more smoke flavor you'll bring into the chili.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Wow!
    Snellville, GA

• jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    Couple questions. Do you have the placesetter in for cook?  Also, where did you get the pan?  Is it cast iron?  I've only found those with giant handles that get in the way. 
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    jwc6160 said:
    Couple questions. Do you have the placesetter in for cook?  Also, where did you get the pan?  Is it cast iron?  I've only found those with giant handles that get in the way. 
    Yes, I put in the plate-setter.  Mainly just to make sure the bottom of the pot is shielded from any direct flame or flare-ups (prevent burning inside the pot). Has always worked well for me.  

The pot I use is a big cast iron Lodge dutch oven.   I forget the size right now but I can check if you are curious.  They have two version, you want the one with the big coil handle that does not have feet on the bottom of it.  Well, that's what I use anyway.  Other may work also but I wanted a flat bottom for other cooking options (stovetop).

The pan I had with holes in it is a standard weber vegetable grilling tray. I got in at home depot.   Note, if I would have shopped for this recipe I would have smoked a whole piece of meat, vs. pieces. However, I was just working with what I had on hand for this cook.

Hope that helps! 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome cook.  I love chili.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Thanks guys!   Realized another benefit of cooking it on the egg....my entire house won't smell like chili for 3 days!  
    The hell's wrong with that???
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    dopey said:
    KiterTodd said:
    The hell's wrong with that???
    :lol: I hear ya.   Something about the airflow of our house... we have a center island stove with a fan that does a decent job.  BUT, if I have a soup, sauce or stew on simmer for several hours it flows through the HVAC and permeates the entire house.  Days after the cook the basement still smells like tomato sauce! 

I know...it's not awful, but I'm reminded of how annoying it is when I go in an Indian person's house, for example, and the entire place smells like curry.  Sometimes no scent is best, no matter how good the food is!

LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You don't have to worry about the doneness of the meat in the future. It will be way past well done in the chili.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Yup, BEANS!

@Mickey wouldn't have it any other way ;)
    On a seperate note, great looking grub brother.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.