Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen Classic or Mk4

Options
And best source to get it from. Looks like Amazon gouges the price a little. 
Bill   Denver, CO
XL, 2L's, and MM

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    MK4.  
    http://www.thermoworks.com/  
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Plus some interesting articles...
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • jeponline
    Options
    Warranty is only good if you buy from thermoworks. Definitely wait for a sale and get the mk4. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I just got the  mk4 on an open box sale.  I like the light and how the display rotates...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    As mentioned, read this...

"Warning regarding ThermoWorks products at Amazon, eBay and other sites     Less

The lowest internet prices for ThermoWorks products are available at thermoworks.com and through special offers received by subscribers to ThermoWorks emails.

Amazon, eBay, walmart.com, sears.com and their sellers are NOT Authorized Dealers. There are unscrupulous sellers at those sites who have purchased ThermoWorks products at retail prices and are then re-selling them at significantly elevated prices, sometimes 2 to 4 times the Authorized List Price. After receiving numerous complaints from customers who were victimized by those listings, we felt it was important to do what we could to warn unsuspecting consumers.

Furthermore, we have received a growing number of complaints that such sellers are offering counterfeit, copycat, stolen units, and "Open-Box" units as authentic NEW ThermoWorks products. Thus, from January 1st of 2016, technical support and warranty coverage are only available on ThermoWorks products that are purchased direct from ThermoWorks or from ThermoWorks' Authorized Dealers. In this way we know the consumer is fully protected and we can protect our reputation for treating customers fairly."

http://www.thermoworks.com

Good folks, good products.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I'd call that unanimous. Thanks for the tips. You all are great. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Got mine in an open box sale. Could not be happier. Great product great folks, one of the best accessories to buy first.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    6 of one, half dozen the other.  Both are quality. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Mk 4 from Thermapen open box sale.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    Thanks. I went on the website and they're having a sale on the IR guns. PayPal can be dangerous. #blackstonegameupped
  • BilZol
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I haven't heard of them before. I currently have a knockoff instant read that let me down the other night. Did a reverse sear on strips and it read 168 on my daughters, dare I say, we'll done steak and it was medium. Not an issue as I just tossed it back on but that would have been bad for poultry. It checked out when I calibrated it for boiling up here, 203, but failed on the steak. Wife told me to upgrade. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • tikigriller
    Options

So just out of curiosity, and it is probably nothing more than preference, but is there a reason you guys like the instant reads that require you to go check the meat more so than like what I got, the iGrill2 type of probe?  Are they more accurate?  Is it just because you pretty much know when things will be done and that is when you measure the temp?  I would constantly be having a heart attack about what temp the meat is at and be opening and closing the egg all the time checking if I did not have the probe in there telling me all the time what the temp is.  (probably just rookie cook stuff, I know)

is there an actual benefit to an instant read vs a stick it and leave it probe?

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Probes are good at lower temps for slower cooks. Instant reads are good for everything but especially for hot shorter cooks.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,365
    Options

So just out of curiosity, and it is probably nothing more than preference, but is there a reason you guys like the instant reads that require you to go check the meat more so than like what I got, the iGrill2 type of probe?  Are they more accurate?  Is it just because you pretty much know when things will be done and that is when you measure the temp?  I would constantly be having a heart attack about what temp the meat is at and be opening and closing the egg all the time checking if I did not have the probe in there telling me all the time what the temp is.  (probably just rookie cook stuff, I know)

is there an actual benefit to an instant read vs a stick it and leave it probe?

For something like a routine pork butt that is going to take "X" hours I never pay attention to the meat temp for the first few hours anyway so I rarely bother hooking up the probes/remote read thermo.

For steaks or chicken pieces can't beat an instant read for doing the occasional/quick check when they get near done. 

They each have their place/use.

One advantage that an instant read has over all the probe types is that you don't have the recurring expense of replacing probes that crap out.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Long cooks - leave in probes to get temp.  Fast cooks like porkchops - instant read.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • BilZol
    Options
    With steaks I normally do a half dozen minimum and chickens I do three to four cut up. The igrill really wouldn't be good for either scenario. I do use my igrill for whole birds, butts, and brisket though. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Well the , after those answers, what should I get, thermapen classic or MK4?  LOL
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • DoubleEgger
    edited September 2016
    Options
    MK4. Waterproof in case you leave it outside. You want the backlight too. 
  • mjfutures
    mjfutures Posts: 53
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I just went with the MK4 vs. Classic .... Triple AAA Batteries alone with the MK4 make it a better buy for me. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Had my "classic" for many years. It's still on the original batteries if I recall correctly. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.