Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking chunks question

Options
Sandman
Sandman Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New egger here do you guys put your smoking chunks in while the egg is heating up- or do you wait until you have reached the desired temperture? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Sandman,
    i think many chunkers add them as they are putting uin the meat. chunks on top, in the burning lump.[p]small chunks maybe get spread around.[p]as a chipper, i work them in throughout the lump, and they are in when i light

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Sandman,[p]Yep, put chunks on the lump after you start it, you will need to let the wood and the lump burn awhile and settle down before putting your food in. This takes 45 minutes or so, maybe an hour. Once you see only whifs of smoke comming from the top vent, you are ready to start cookin'.[p]Mixing some smaller ones within the lump at various distances from the center will insure some smoke as the fire slowly spreads. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    Options
    stike,
    I put mine on after lighting. I usually put the meat on right after starting and let it the cooker come up to temp while smoking. That way the smoke has more time to penetrate until the temp gets up to about 125-145 or so. I always get a nice smoke ring with that method.
    Rod

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Sandman,
    i lite the egg, and when the black smoke stops i add the chunks, by the time i have things stabilized the heavey smoke stops and i add the meat. for low and slows you can add the meat sooner, just wait til you dont see any black sooty smoke frome the initial lighting of lump. for more delicate items like turkey or chicken i will wait til the smoke from the chunks settles down to that lite blue color

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it