Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings

Options
They may only be wings, but it was the first cook I did, that I made changes to how I cooked them this time vs. the last time, and they came out much better to our liking. Still over cooked this batch a tad, but when cooking 30 pieces, there were 15 of them that came out perfect for us. 

Did DH,  kept it at 400 steady, RG, sauced the last 5 minutes.   Pappy rub, famous daves sweet and zesty sauce. Total cook time 35 minutes. 

Look....I am even starting to use some of the abbreviations!

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    That is a beautiful pic... They look and sound fantastic..Success !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Well they look outstanding....I like a little char on my wings.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I try to go at 375 raised direct for about 35 minutes. I usually don't, but flipped to the skin side of the flats as time and burned them. Still tender and juicy inside but I won't be flipping again. 

Like pizza, wings are a different cook every time. You get better with eggsperience but some cooks are better than others. I would also think some rubs are more prone to burn if you're not careful. 

Egg on! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tikigriller
    Options

What's funny and sad all in the same time, is the  ones that charred to the point that was even too much for me...which is pretty charred because I like a little char on my wings, is that all I needed to do was pull those ones off while the others finished.  I fell into the trap of trying to just pull them all at the same time and just move them around on the grid to the cooler spots.

Rookie move.........off to the next cook we go!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2016
    Options

What's funny and sad all in the same time, is the  ones that charred to the point that was even too much for me...

Then try these:

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I was going to tell you that far more experienced eggers have done way more damage to a wing cook. I'm glad Mickey shared his famous "charcoal chicken wings" :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tikigriller
    Options

That looks like you placed some lump on the grid!

Thanks....as a good friend in AZ told me....we are our own harshest critics!

Livermore, California
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    blind99 said:
    I was going to tell you that far more experienced eggers have done way more damage to a wing cook. I'm glad Mickey shared his famous "charcoal chicken wings" :)
    Man, when I saw that pic that was my first thought----just tilt the grid and drop it in the lump and you will be ready for next cook, lol
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE