Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Habanero Stout Chuckie's Smoked

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    BBQBuddy said:
    Did it last week.  Followed wolfepit recipe.  Delish.  I think that next time I'm going to add chipotle peppers instead of jalapeños.  Either way, it's good.   Made tacos w/ the leftovers...

Looks awesome! @BBQBuddy I like your thinking with tacos
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    What about mushrooms? My kids love mushrooms with peppers and onions. Would it work in this dish? 

I don't see why not.  As a matter of fact, I'm going to add them next time.  Thanks for the idea.  This is one of those cooks that makes me kick myself for not doing sooner! 
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • WeberWho
    Options
    What about mushrooms? My kids love mushrooms with peppers and onions. Would it work in this dish? 
    Absolutely! @johnkitchens That would be a perfect addition. Good call!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks so much @Wardster and @WeberWho! I am really excited about this cook. My wife is so picky she will not be, but me and the kids are looking forward to it! 

I am very glad I opened this thread! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I mentioned this cook to a coworker, that unfortunately doesn't have an egg, and he is going to be trying it this weekend as well. 

• WeberWho
    Options
    I mentioned this cook to a coworker, that unfortunately doesn't have an egg, and he is going to be trying it this weekend as well. 
    @johnkitchens Nice! Always nice to talk grub with someone at work at throw ideas at one another. He should be good to go. He won't get the grill/smoke flavor but should get good flavors yet from everything 

Minnesota
  • Sweet100s
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    How long was the total cook? 
    @johnkitchens I want to say 5-6 hours total
    That's amazing - my chuckie seem to take forever till it pulled easily.

Just looked up where I posted it:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1195998/chuck-roast-pepper-stout-beef-question#latest

My timeline required was:
    3.5 hours in the egg
    6 hours in the slow cooker.  Chuckie was ~ 211 deg F when it pulled.
    ----
    > 10 hours total including letting it cool enough to refrigerate
    (I've learned my lesson about heating up the entire fridge by putting something like this in the fridge right away)

Was expecting it would be done at midnight.
    Went to bed at 3:00am-ish...

However, it was totally worth it.  I froze 4oz portions in baggies for lunches and we enjoyed it over Labor day in sandwiches.

One relative said I should try to get more of the fat out of it.  I agreed - tried to spoon it off but that was tedious.

• WeberWho
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    WeberWho said:
    How long was the total cook? 
    @johnkitchens I want to say 5-6 hours total
    That's amazing - my chuckie seem to take forever till it pulled easily.

Just looked up where I posted it:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1195998/chuck-roast-pepper-stout-beef-question#latest

My timeline required was:
    3.5 hours in the egg
    6 hours in the slow cooker.  Chuckie was ~ 211 deg F when it pulled.
    ----
    > 10 hours total including letting it cool enough to refrigerate
    (I've learned my lesson about heating up the entire fridge by putting something like this in the fridge right away)

Was expecting it would be done at midnight.
    Went to bed at 3:00am-ish...

However, it was totally worth it.  I froze 4oz portions in baggies for lunches and we enjoyed it over Labor day in sandwiches.

One relative said I should try to get more of the fat out of it.  I agreed - tried to spoon it off but that was tedious.

@Sweet100s Great point. The one chuckie was 3 lbs and other one wasn't quite 3lbs. The recipe calls for 4. Mine finished quicker as they were smaller

Minnesota
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Most of the chuck roasts I can get locally are around 3 pounds max. It doesn't seem like it will be that big of a deal though. Really looking forward to this cook! 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So, guys who have made it, what is the meat consistency like?

Is it a moist flavorful beef?  (similar in ease and pull to a pork shoulder)

It looks like a fancy pot roast...not that there is anything wrong with that!   Have a large party to cook for next month and I may give this a try.  It'd cost me a lot in brisket to feed everybody, so this may be better.   

I was also thinking of doing a pit beef again, BUT, you have to slice that really thin, I don't have a slicer, and I'd need to slice a lot of beef for this party...   Pulling a chuck looks easier!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • WeberWho
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

It looks like a fancy pot roast...not that there is anything wrong with that!   Have a large party to cook for next month and I may give this a try.  It'd cost me a lot in brisket to feed everybody, so this may be better.   

I was also thinking of doing a pit beef again, BUT, you have to slice that really thin, I don't have a slicer, and I'd need to slice a lot of beef for this party...   Pulling a chuck looks easier!
    @KiterTodd I have found pork easier to pull. This was also my first go around. I followed the recipe above and probably had more peppers and onions than the recipe called for. With the extra veggies the chuck wasn't submerged in the stout as much which might have helped for an easier tender pull if I used less vegetables. I'd maybe add a little more stout next time of maybe flip the chuck halfway through the foil process to see if it helps any. I didn't feel like it had a pot roast taste with the pepper, onions, and cheese. I also added horseradish. Awesome flavor. I had 4 days of leftovers and could have kept going if I didn't run out first. I'd suggest a trial run and see what you think. I'm thinking you'll like it!

Minnesota
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Tagged for future reference, looks amazing.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• WeberWho
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Tagged for future reference, looks amazing.
    Thanks! @jonnymack

Minnesota
  • Wardster
    Options

I did mine in my dutch oven.  As you can see, the veggies alone almost filled it.  So, I slowly cooked these down on the stove a bit while the meat was smoking and there was more than enough room for the chuckie.  I made sure it sat down in the stout before putting back on the egg.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Kinda sorta maybe like pulling pork. The main difference is that some chuckies have some non edible fat that you have to work around.  I've done a bunch O chuckies and I hands down like it better than its pork cousin 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Would two stouts be too much liquid? 

• Wardster
    Options
    I think so.  I did the listed amounts of liquid.  3 peppers, 2 onions and 3 jalapeno peppers.  I left it on a little longer to try and reduce some of what was in there.  It wasn't soupy by any means but there also was not much left in the pan when I ate the last serving.  If that helps.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • WeberWho
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wardster said:

I did mine in my dutch oven.  As you can see, the veggies alone almost filled it.  So, I slowly cooked these down on the stove a bit while the meat was smoking and there was more than enough room for the chuckie.  I made sure it sat down in the stout before putting back on the egg.

I like the idea of starting them on the stove to help save room. Would have never thought of that. Thanks! @Wardster

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Would two stouts be too much liquid? 
    @johnkitchens I agree with Wardster with starting the stout and veggies on the stove. Sounds like a slick idea. Next time I'd add 1/4 to 1/2 of an additional stout beer to the recipe. I think two would be too much. 

Minnesota
  • KiterTodd
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Tried it!  Like @WeberWho, I followed Wolfe’s recipe with some minor mods based what I had around....

I could only get a 3.5 lbs. chuck, I used my DO instead of a pan, and I used 2 large Poblano peppers instead of the 3 jalapeños.  I also used Dizzy Pig Cow Lick instead of S&P.  Because...I had it, DP always treats me right, and I didn’t feel like grinding all that pepper.  LOL

Took just under 5 hours at 250 to get the chuck up to 165.   Quite a long stall at 150.  Once it hit temp,  I threw it in the DO and pulled it after a couple hours.  It seemed ready to me after about an hour, but as the recipe (and others) said 2.5-3 hours, I figured some magic must happen so I let it ride.  

When I took it out, there was only a little liquid left.  Glad I checked it as if it all evaporated, I would have burnt it.  I’m thinking possibly my temp probe wire put a gap in the lid and let out some moisture.  In any case, it was still excellent and pulled easily.  I dumped in a little stock after I pulled it to give it some more sauce.

So yeah...it doesn’t taste like pot roast.  Definitely a shredded beef flavor going on.  Not a barbacoa flavor though, tough to place.  It’s kind of like mojo pork carnitas, actually.

Couldn’t taste much smoke flavor in this even though I had some cherry and hickory in with the lump.  I served it up with some horseradish, hot sauce and the roasted provolone.  It had great flavor.  SWMBO’s had it with just cheese and thought it was a tad spicy.  I’m not sure if that came from the DP or the Poblanos.  I didn’t think it was very spicy.

In any case, it’d also go great on a corn tortilla, which is how I may serve it for a crowd.  ...w/ some shredded provolone, green salsa, and cilantro.   Hmmmm, I think I just described tomorrow’s lunch.

Some pics... 

Veggies, minus the guinness and whatsthisheresauce...

A mango habanero double for the cook.  (didn't actually love this...but great can!)

ready for the pot...

Aaaaaaand, all the rest.   :)

Thanks for the share.  This a fun Sunday cook.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I didn't cook it this weekend, but my coworker did. He said he followed the recipe, and his complaint was that the liquid wouldn't cook off. He had to pour it out. 

He also said the peppers and onions tasted too much like the stout beer. 

Did he do something wrong? 

• KiterTodd
    Options
    I didn't cook it this weekend, but my coworker did. He said he followed the recipe, and his complaint was that the liquid wouldn't cook off. He had to pour it out. 

LOL...that's funny.  As it is the complete opposite of my experience.   As you can see in my photos, I do cut the peppers/onions thinner.  I wanted to make sure they cooked and also blend in well with the beef once shredded.

I did not notice any beer taste, just the flavorful sauce you would expect after a cook with beef and veggies. 

The flavor of mine was a little sweet.  While it could have been the peppers, I suspect it was the Dizzy Pig which I used instead of S&P.  They usually throw some sugar in there.  I'll try it again with just S&P.  I have to dial this in one more time as I liked it...but not enough to serve for 50 people...yet!  ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

After reading this thread I did it yesterday.

3 lb. chuckie seasoned with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper.  On at 250 and it hit 160 in about 3 hours.

Sliced two medium onions, a red and yellow bell pepper, and two jalapenos, sliced, seeded, with most of the ribs left in tact.  Softened them in the DO on the stove in a little olive oil and added the minced garlic and worcestershire sauce. 

After hitting 160 IT, cranked up the LBGE to 350 put the chuckie in the DO, added 1 bottle of beer and left it covered and untouched for 2 hours. 

The meat pulled very easily with enough liquid to make it really moist.  the veggies had almost totally cooked down but their flavor was there. My bunch includes those who do and do not like spicy, and the seeded/not ribbed jalapenos seemed to hit a good middle ground with just a little bite but not overpowering. 

Served it on toasted buns and choices of cheese (provolone, pepper jack, swiss, and sharp white cheddar) with sides of garlic smashed potatoes and prosciutto wrapped asparagus, both done on the Weber gasser. 

The meal was a big hit and definitely one that will become a regular. 

This morning I had leftovers of heated chuckie under 3 sunny side up eggs. Not sure which I enjoyed more, dinner or breakfast.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• WeberWho
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Tried it!  Like @WeberWho, I followed Wolfe’s recipe with some minor mods based what I had around....

I could only get a 3.5 lbs. chuck, I used my DO instead of a pan, and I used 2 large Poblano peppers instead of the 3 jalapeños.  I also used Dizzy Pig Cow Lick instead of S&P.  Because...I had it, DP always treats me right, and I didn’t feel like grinding all that pepper.  LOL

Took just under 5 hours at 250 to get the chuck up to 165.   Quite a long stall at 150.  Once it hit temp,  I threw it in the DO and pulled it after a couple hours.  It seemed ready to me after about an hour, but as the recipe (and others) said 2.5-3 hours, I figured some magic must happen so I let it ride.  

When I took it out, there was only a little liquid left.  Glad I checked it as if it all evaporated, I would have burnt it.  I’m thinking possibly my temp probe wire put a gap in the lid and let out some moisture.  In any case, it was still excellent and pulled easily.  I dumped in a little stock after I pulled it to give it some more sauce.

So yeah...it doesn’t taste like pot roast.  Definitely a shredded beef flavor going on.  Not a barbacoa flavor though, tough to place.  It’s kind of like mojo pork carnitas, actually.

Couldn’t taste much smoke flavor in this even though I had some cherry and hickory in with the lump.  I served it up with some horseradish, hot sauce and the roasted provolone.  It had great flavor.  SWMBO’s had it with just cheese and thought it was a tad spicy.  I’m not sure if that came from the DP or the Poblanos.  I didn’t think it was very spicy.

In any case, it’d also go great on a corn tortilla, which is how I may serve it for a crowd.  ...w/ some shredded provolone, green salsa, and cilantro.   Hmmmm, I think I just described tomorrow’s lunch.

Some pics... 

Veggies, minus the guinness and whatsthisheresauce...

A mango habanero double for the cook.  (didn't actually love this...but great can!)

ready for the pot...

Aaaaaaand, all the rest.   :)

Thanks for the share.  This a fun Sunday cook.
    Man that looks good! @KiterTodd Yum

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

I had liquid left in mine. It shouldn't hurt any as it keeps everything moist. That's strange about tasting too much like stout beer. It should have a hint of stout but not like you're drinking it. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Webass said:

3 lb. chuckie seasoned with kosher salt and coarse ground pepper.  On at 250 and it hit 160 in about 3 hours.

Sliced two medium onions, a red and yellow bell pepper, and two jalapenos, sliced, seeded, with most of the ribs left in tact.  Softened them in the DO on the stove in a little olive oil and added the minced garlic and worcestershire sauce. 

After hitting 160 IT, cranked up the LBGE to 350 put the chuckie in the DO, added 1 bottle of beer and left it covered and untouched for 2 hours. 

The meat pulled very easily with enough liquid to make it really moist.  the veggies had almost totally cooked down but their flavor was there. My bunch includes those who do and do not like spicy, and the seeded/not ribbed jalapenos seemed to hit a good middle ground with just a little bite but not overpowering. 

Served it on toasted buns and choices of cheese (provolone, pepper jack, swiss, and sharp white cheddar) with sides of garlic smashed potatoes and prosciutto wrapped asparagus, both done on the Weber gasser. 

This morning I had leftovers of heated chuckie under 3 sunny side up eggs. Not sure which I enjoyed more, dinner or breakfast.

Webass said:

@Webass Sounds awesome! Great dish for leftovers. Glad to hear everyone enjoyed 

Minnesota
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    If you served this sandwich made from the leftover shredded beef in a restaurant, it'd sell out every night.  Damn...

LBGE/Maryland
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options

What did he cook it in (grill wise)? I've done it a few times and have had lots of liquid when I used a lot of veggies but most recent actually had no liquid left because I didn't have much peppers in the pan.  Never had an overwhelming stout flavor.

This is my go to recipe now, you can do anything you want with the meat, started with sandwiches but lately it's been tacos! Love it

• johnkitchens
    Options
    He cooked it on a drum smoker grill with regular charcoal and Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel chunks. I am still going to try it. The good news for me is that he bought a six pack of the beer, and he told me today that I could have the other 5! 

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    He cooked it on a drum smoker grill with regular charcoal and Jack Daniels Whiskey Barrel chunks. I am still going to try it. The good news for me is that he bought a six pack of the beer, and he told me today that I could have the other 5! 
    That is good news, makes it a lot cheaper. You need to try it you won't be disappointed, just make sure to give it enough time, it is not the fastest cook and the beef ain't don't till its done, you will know when it's done.