Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally got a large!

Options
 I have had a mini and a medium together, replaced by a minimax, and finally sold everything and bought a large and I could not be happier!  Just as easy to light with a torch, and gets up to temp just as fast. The space  on the grate and the distance between the coals and the food is amazing on this thing and it is so much better at smoking! Check out the table! I still need to stain it and am going to cover the front with pallet wood. 

Comments

• tikigriller
    Options
    I love seeing all these tables you guys all build........I wish I had the tools to pull something like that off.  Guess I could rent what I need......that table looks pretty simple to build!  Nice work!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Congrats on the large. Nice table!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Congrats on the large!

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Kustrud
    Options
    Thanks! All ya need is a mitre saw and a drill, tape measure and a pencil! Hardest part about this one is that it's a lop sided triangle so all the boards are completely different! 
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Kustrud said:
    Thanks! All ya need is a mitre saw and a drill, tape measure and a pencil! Hardest part about this one is that it's a lop sided triangle so all the boards are completely different! 

You don't have any worry with it being that close to the house...the Egg I mean?  My wife would have a bloody hissy fit if I built a table and put the egg right up against the house like that.  She would be convinced I would burn the house down!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Kustrud
    Options
    That's where I've always had them and the MM was even closer! It'd take an awful lot of heat transfer to get the house to ignite I hope! 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Nice looking table, and congrats on the LBGE. You ought to think about putting an air gap between the Egg and cement paver. You can get a table best from your dealer, or get some ceramic planter feet from Lowe's, etc. 

Wood pyrolysis is no joke, and over time can cause that table and your house to go up in smoke. 

Just my $0.03 (adjusted for inflation). 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Here's a little more info on pyrolysis, it's no joke:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    No way I would have that tucked into the corner of my house. Nice table, but an accident waiting for a place to happen. Fire is a terrible, unforgiving thing. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    yljkt said:
    No way I would have that tucked into the corner of my house. Nice table, but an accident waiting for a place to happen. Fire is a terrible, unforgiving thing. 
    Yeah. Mine is about five feet off the house and I don't love it. I have siding too and I am building a wood deck and cover so I am pushing mine further out for the build. 

If if you are gonna leave it there with everything wood and siding I would overbuild your backdrop in something flame retardant. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Kustrud
    Options
    Appreciate the info! Any ideas what I could put up behind it? 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    I've heard many a story about paver stones not being sufficient under eggs...so I would suggest getting some type of feet for your egg (table nest)?  Your biggest threat would be your table catching on fire and spreading to your house, not vice versa.

The fact that you have a grill setup next to a house with siding does you no favors, but thankfully ceramic cookers don't give off a great deal of radiant or convective energy when the lid is closed. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Kustrud
    Kustrud Posts: 48
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Alright, so I'll space the egg off the stone with the stand or feet. Will that be sufficient?  Should I make a stone wall behind the egg between the house? 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    A stone wall will certainly help, but I see one corner of the table touching the door frame. I'm a pessimist, if the table catches fire it can spread from that corner to the door frame and door. Any chance you can relocate it away from the house?
    canuckland
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    There are some stories on the forum about guys cooking on their decks or in garages, and subsequently burning their houses down.  I have a mobile table with my large, and routinely cook in the carport right next to the house, but not touching it, and have never had an issue.  But looking at your setup nestled in that nook in the house, I would certainly consider all the possibilities.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I would consider putting casters on the legs of your table so if you ever do long (say overnight) unattended cooks you could roll it away from your house.

For those shorter cooks of a few hours where you will likely be around and paying attention I wouldn't worry too much about burning down your house. Just be sure to pay attention to your Egg while it has any live coals.

According to BGE's own literature an air gap is preferred but placing an Egg on a paver is acceptable. I've seen pix of tables that have caught on fire because the hole in the tabletop the Egg sits in was too snug. Personally, I'm not a fan of wooden tables.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Congrats on the upgrade!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    rmr62 said:
    There are some stories on the forum about guys cooking on their decks or in garages, and subsequently burning their houses down.  I have a mobile table with my large, and routinely cook in the carport right next to the house, but not touching it, and have never had an issue.  But looking at your setup nestled in that nook in the house, I would certainly consider all the possibilities.
    There was a case of someone rolling his egg onto the driveway to cook. A spark popped out of the lower vent, went into the garage, started a fire and burned down the house. Once you roll the egg out I would turn it so if a spark pops out the bottom vent it wont go towards your house
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    rmr62 said:
    There was a case of someone rolling his egg onto the driveway to cook. A spark popped out of the lower vent, went into the garage, started a fire and burned down the house. Once you roll the egg out I would turn it so if a spark pops out the bottom vent it wont go towards your house
    Makes total sense.  Sparks only travel out in the direction of the vent like bullets from a barrel.   They're pretty immune to wind too, supposedly.
    Options
    Nice looking table that fits great in the area you have. That being said, I like the idea of wheels mounted on the legs and for the cook pull it off the house wall. better safe than...
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Kustrud
    Options
    Alright cool, I'll shorten the legs and throw some casters on it! 
  • Kustrud
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Your siding looks to be hardi plank which is cement but I agree having it tucked in a corner is likely recipe for disaster. Better safe than sorry. 

Congrats on the upgrade, I have a large and mini max, best of both worlds in my opinion, surprised you offloaded your MM.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Congrats brother. I know how you feel. I had a used (but brand new never used) medium, before finally buying a large and a Mini Max soon thereafter. Good times!