Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Does It Again, I Should Learn By Now

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
Seems every time we find an item they carry, that item will be discontinued in a few months or a year. For instance bottled water. We like the Nestle Splash fruit flavored water. Went to Costco this weekend, none on the floor or racks. I assumed they ran out. Went back today same thing. So I asked about it and was told DISCONTINUED. Well that was not expected. So I asked who had the most in stock that is somewhat close by.

So off to the Southlake store I went. 42 cases later......

So here is 1,344 pounds of water

Should keep us for a bit.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    And SWMBO thinks I'm a hoarder. Can't wait to show  her this :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Liquid assets.   =)

So I'm not the only guy this happens to; as soon as I find something I really like, whether its cheese, or a car brand, or underwear, or beef jerky, or a tool company, or socks, they somehow find out and immediately change, discontinue, drop, go bankrupt, or the dreaded "New and Improved".  
    Just a couple months ago I found a snack, they were like Rice Chex but bigger (1" x 1" or so and puffier) with a cheese flavoring on them, I instantly liked them and they became my favorite snack.  Not even a few weeks later, they were on sale, "Discontinued", and I bought the remaining 4 bags.  They're gone now.  Bastids!!  :anguished:  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Hotch
    Options
    caliking said:

If you like have her give me a call. I will sell her on the reasoning behind this.

Shelly's comment when I sent her the pics:

"OMG...and you bought it all...how much was that and where in the heck are you going to put it?"

My reply:

"42 x $7.99. All over."

Her reply:

"Well OK..."

I think I'm good for now.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
    Botch said:
    Liquid assets.   =)

So I'm not the only guy this happens to; as soon as I find something I really like, whether its cheese, or a car brand, or underwear, or beef jerky, or a tool company, or socks, they somehow find out and immediately change, discontinue, drop, go bankrupt, or the dreaded "New and Improved".  
    Just a couple months ago I found a snack, they were like Rice Chex but bigger (1" x 1" or so and puffier) with a cheese flavoring on them, I instantly liked them and they became my favorite snack.  Not even a few weeks later, they were on sale, "Discontinued", and I bought the remaining 4 bags.  They're gone now.  Bastids!!  :anguished:  
    Yes sir I feel your pain.
    Now if I find something I like or it fits great, especially clothing, I go back and load up ASAP!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. I could have bought 1 replacement tongs but just a matter of time before that one went missing. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Costco only buys the stuff that is not that popular. Once it becomes popular, the supplier raises the prices, so Costco moves on to the next "new and improved" item.  The only thing at Costco you can be pretty sure will always be there is all  the Kirkland stuff.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    There's a couple things that I really liked there that they no longer carry at our stores.  The big jar of Dave's Famous Pickles, Bobak's Veal Hot Dogs, Bosco Sticks, etc.  I really like the beer battered halibut, but they only have that during Lent at our stores.  It's really expensive in Feb, then the price drops like crazy around Easter--then I load up the deep freeze.

There are a few things I buy every time I'm there for the kids.  It's going to be a bad day if they ever discontinue:  Annon's NY Pizza slices, the uncooked tortillas, the cilantro-lime tilapia, the Empire Kosher chicken strips, and the E.D. Smith low sugar preserves.  I always make sure I have an extra bottle of the Kirkland balsamic vinegar on hand too--that's pretty good stuff for the price when you go through a lot of it. 
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    My local grocery store (Redners) sometimes has 6 packs of Splash for 2/$3 which equates to 30/$7.50 so all is not lost....yo just need to check local store ads when you run out lol.....in a few years
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    My store carries Cabot extra sharp cheddar cheese. It is the reason I joined. If they stop carrying it, it's pretty simple. I'm done.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I do propel from sams or costco, 

Jstroke said:
    My store carries Cabot extra sharp cheddar cheese. It is the reason I joined. If they stop carrying it, it's pretty simple. I'm done.
    our local Walmart carries Cabot cheeses, great for cold smoking.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That's funny!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    You are good until that 41'st case is gone. Then you are going to be like a castaway on a deserted island with no freshwater! 

I recently had the same problem with boots. I like Georgia Boots. I have fortunately been able to get the same pair for the last four or five times, but now they are gone! I had to roll the dice on a different pair. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    All warehouse clubs that I know of operate like that. As soon as I find something that I like they stop carrying it.
    This is a reason that they will never be successful in supplying to the food business. Restaurants need suppliers with product consistency. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @johnkitchens I've been the same way with these. I've been buying them for 6-7 years now. New pair once a year. One year I got a bad pair, sent them back with the 30'day return policy, and tried red wings, a $260 mistake. If they ever quit making these I'm in trouble.  https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens-pro-work-boots/mens-timberland-pro-titan-6in-soft-toe-work-boots-24097214
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    @jeremiah,

I wear those exact boots for work also, very comfy, and reasonably priced. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Horchata Rockstar Energy Drink.

Tried it this weekend and loved it.  3 stops on the way to work this morning and nobody had it.  Read online it may be discontinued.   Luckily SWMBOAATEWSMNS found 5 cans near her.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Botch said:
    Liquid assets.   =)

I just found out my favorite local seasonal beer is over until next year.  My local beer store called the distributor and ordered 5 cases for me on the spot.
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Hotch said:
    caliking said:

If you like have her give me a call. I will sell her on the reasoning behind this.

Shelly's comment when I sent her the pics:

"OMG...and you bought it all...how much was that and where in the heck are you going to put it?"

My reply:

"42 x $7.99. All over."

Her reply:

"Well OK..."

I think I'm good for now.

This very conversation could happen at my house. Sign of a long married couples. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @Hotch - man I saw you mentioned Southlake Costco and I forgot you werein TX.  There's a Southlake area near me that's in Atlanta, AND they have a Costco.  I was about to offer up 1/4 of the space left in the garage from my recent cleanout IF the EBU (Estrogen Based Unit) wasn't soo agreeable to your purchase!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Supposedly, if you see a large asterisk in the corner of the Costco price label, it is a discontinued item. So if you like it, you better stock up right away.
    Also, Costco has a policy of telling the vendors the price, quality, and packaging they want on any item in their store. You either agree or you don't sell in their store.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    That has happened to me MORE times than I can remember.   Wife says 'we will get it next time'.    She knows full-well it's gonna be GONE by than.
    I picked up the Marx Brothers DVD on site and couldn't be talked out of it.   The first 5 movies are some of the funnies EVER.   If you MUST have it, GET IT.
    Chances are it is a one-off and will be GONE next visit.

Other instances too numerous to remember.    When I saw my favorite SOAP in stock I bought a 6 month supply.   Sure enough!   No MORE.   

The competition for Floor Space is Killer.   If you don't MOVE stuff, you don't get invited back.    Some items are SEASONAL, so if you need to, stock up for the Off Season, like it do with 4 bean salad which I put on my dinner salads.  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    No better with the Wallmart cousin. The carried a 20 ounce clear plastic cup that was perfect for tailgating. All of a sudden poof. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Truly a man of conviction, sees what he wants and goes to great effort to get it! Well done! My financial guru has always said stay invested in bottled water and cell phone companies, today few can exist without one and/or the other. Living where we do, we hardly ever buy bottled water, the stuff from our taps is much better, we are very fortunate. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!