Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Free range organic dove in awesome sauce

Options
Dove hunting has been good lately. We normally breast dove, add a bit of jalapeno and cream cheese, wrap with bacon and call it good. Well - I decided to see if I could kick it up a notch. We LOVE the tequila lime chipotle sauce shared by @NecessaryIndulg . I decided that might be good on dove - so - here's the plan:
Breast the dove, add a slice of roasted green chile, and a dob of cream cheese.
Wrap with bacon, then add some BBQ rub.
Grill dove and coat with the tequila lime chipotle sauce - dubbed by the family simply as awesome sauce. I modified the sauce by using some maple syrup along with the honey. I'm thinking maple syrup and bacon go together, right?
I like to make the sauce in the mortar and pestle. 

Breasted dove.

Some added goodness.

Wrapped in bacon goodness and sprinkled with rub. 

Awesome sauce is ready and waiting. 

I've got spare ribs and some baked beans cruising along and getting happy as well.
I'll post the finale later. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Fun fun cook. Watch out for the buck shot!  Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    That's right, lead us along, then cut us off...

Waiting for the finale.
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Things are coming along.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Now the ribs:

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    All looks great.....Explain the free range organic component? This was purchased and they were grown in a controlled environment?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    edited September 2016
    Options
    All looks great.....Explain the free range organic component? This was purchased and they were grown in a controlled environment?
    It's a bit of an inside joke - I have a relative from the UK that is a bit offended by those of us that hunt. I just commented they were "free range and organic". That actually corked them fairly well. They couldn't explain well the difference between killing a chicken or rabbit that was free range vs me shooting and eating a dove, duck, cottontail, or any other critter. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NC_Egghead
    Options
    @SciAggie, very nicely done! Ribs and Dove look fantastic! Nice post.
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Fantastic looking cooks! :smiley:
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    It's a bit of an inside joke - I have a relative from the UK that is a bit offended by those of us that hunt. I just commented they were "free range and organic". That actually corked them fairly well. They couldn't explain well the difference between killing a chicken or rabbit that was free range vs me shooting and eating a dove, duck, cottontail, or any other critter. 
    Perfect......again....beautiful cooks.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,689
    Options
    What is your finish temp for the dove breast?

BTW everything looks great!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Dove poppers and grilled okra....winning. Dove is my absolute favorite. 

It was opening weekend in Mississippi. We were down visiting my granddad but the neighbors were blasting off shells all day at dove. I was going to go down and barter some off of them when I realized the whole group had killed only 15 birds after about 300 shells were fired. I guess some people call that hunting. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Beautiful.  I get tired of the same old dove poppers, I love the idea of changing it up like this.

free-range, organic = genius level snark
  • SciAggie
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    What is your finish temp for the dove breast?

BTW everything looks great!
    I cooked them at 400-425. The dove was at about 170 by the time the bacon was done. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon