Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post - Steaks on the BGE

Options

Hello all!

Glad to be on the forum...I'm a fairly new egg'er, having purchased mine around 3 months ago. With that being said, I've still got a lot to learn. I've cooked a lot of different meats but so far I'd have to say that steaks have been the best. Part of that is most likely due to me needing to improve on wings/ribs/butt/etc but hopefully that will come in time with experience.

So the other night I had some good thick ribeyes...I got the egg going, had the bottom vent wide open & removed the top piece so I could get it nice & hot. I put in my plate setter and cast iron grate. One thing new that I did this time was oil down my grate with some olive oil. So the temp gets up to around 700 and I put my steaks on. Pretty much immediately it starts flaming up so I shut the lid but the flames don't really go out. I put the cast iron top vent piece on to try & help but it still seems to be flaming. The steaks cooked a lot quicker than I wanted & had more of a char taste than I wanted (I know some like that char, but I'm not a huge fan).

They still turned out pretty damn good but I guess my question is...Did the olive oil probably dripping down to the plate setter cause so much flames? I've had the egg pretty damn hot before & it hasn't seemed to flame up like that. How does everyone prep your grates for steak? Do you even brush with olive oil?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    No olive oil it is isnt necessary.   just salt and pepper
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I do not cook steaks with the platesetter, I want them to cook direct hot and fast. I do not use anything to prep the grates, I just put the meat on. 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @BrevardAUEgger - welcome to the forum.

Like @ibanda, I also don't cook ribeyes with the platesetter, CI grid and that's it. Cook at around 550F, no olive oil.

My rib-eye cooking method is on my food blog if you'd like to take a look, pictures below. I ... okay, SWMBO ... cooked these for a couple of guests, who decided to go out and buy a minimax as a result of tasting them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Welcome! If you have a moment give the link I posted a read. The only way I'll do 1"+ steaks. I've never been disappointed with this philosophy. The steaks are pink edge to edge. Good stuff 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BrevardAUEgger
    Options

Thanks...I'll go no plate setter & no prep on the grates.

How do you guys do your steaks? I've been going wide open on the bottom, completely open at the top. Get to ~700, cook steaks for around 1:30 per side (depending on thickness), then flip over one more time and put the cap on top & close bottom vent. Let them sit in there for about 3 minutes.

They usually turn out pretty damn good but if there's a better way I'm all ears!

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Cooking steak on BGE is almost as good a hotbed as Friday night lump arguments. Let's start with some information. What are you looking for. How rare or well done? Most importantly do you own a good instant thermometer. Most people here cook to temp on most meat. 

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options

Thanks...I'll go no plate setter & no prep on the grates.

How do you guys do your steaks? I've been going wide open on the bottom, completely open at the top. Get to ~700, cook steaks for around 1:30 per side (depending on thickness), then flip over one more time and put the cap on top & close bottom vent. Let them sit in there for about 3 minutes.

They usually turn out pretty damn good but if there's a better way I'm all ears!

It sounds similar to the thread I listed above but you let the steaks rest outside the egg for 18-20 minutes before putting back on and finishing to temp 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

... Get to ~700, cook steaks for around 1:30 per side (depending on thickness), then flip over one more time and put the cap on top & close bottom vent. Let them sit in there for about 3 minutes....

Some people here do that, too, and swear by it.  You love your steaks, and that's the ultimate bottom line.

But many folks here feel that the type of smoke generated by a smothered, dying fire doesn't taste as good as the smoke generated by an active fire, a bit like how lousy a candle smells when you blow it out.  Again, though, there are some here who say that's all theory, but in real life, they do what you do, shut the vents and let the steaks or burgers "dwell" for a bit, and they insist they taste wonderful with no "off" flavor.  The real bottom line is what YOU like!

What I like depends on how thick the steaks are:
    • Less than an inch: 600°-650° direct, flip every minute, cook to temp on my Thermapen (aiming usually for about 120° internal temp).
    • More than an inch: reverse sear -- direct over a very low fire, 225°-250°, flipping every couple of minutes, till 115°-120° internal temp, take them off and put them on a plate to rest.  Take the top lid off, open the bottom vent full, crank the fire up to about 650°, sear the steaks about 1 minute on each side.

• BrevardAUEgger
    Options

Thanks all! I'm definitely going to try some of the methods listed

@jstroke I like my steak about med rare to medium-ish. I've got a pretty good maverick thermometer. Guess I could cook to temp next time

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    And I like mine, set on the red hot coals--caveman style. Even better when fancy company is here. Blows there minds.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited September 2016
    Options

Thanks all! I'm definitely going to try some of the methods listed

@jstroke I like my steak about med rare to medium-ish. I've got a pretty good maverick thermometer. Guess I could cook to temp next time

Cooking to temp is a good thing and what we did to begin with.

We are now at the stage where SWMBO has done so many rib-eyes that she knows for a given size (mainly thickness) how long it will take just by eye-balling it, so she doesn't use a thermometer anymore. Means that there is less faffing about with probes every couple of minutes (we don't have an infra-red one). They are always damn tasty.

Having said that, the nakedwhiz method looks interesting, I'll try that soon.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Welcome! If you have a moment give the link I posted a read. The only way I'll do 1"+ steaks. I've never been disappointed with this philosophy. The steaks are pink edge to edge. Good stuff 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
    The egg and a thermoworks thermopen or thermopop have changed my life. I really did not know how to cook anything 7 years ago when I got my egg. This is one of the first recipes I tried and it is still one of my favorites. What I could do at home with a $7 choice grade NY Strip from Sam's boggled my mind how good it was. 

Lately I have found choice grade flat iron steaks for $4 per pound at my local grocer. A 1/2 pound steak for $2 on the grill for about 6 minutes makes a great dinner!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Well done sir, welcome aboard the ride!!!
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  The above pretty much covers steaks and the BGE.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • byrne092
    Options
    Damn @Stormbringer those look great!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO