Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first Pizza grades a B+. . .

Options
Hog Euker
Hog Euker Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did use a pre-made doe from a box with the sauce from the three step recipe found in the BGE. My only mistake was leaving the pizza on a bit too long. The crust didn't burn, but it was a a little on the crispy side. Just before I took the pizza off I asked my wife if she thought it was done and she said yes, so, in typical male fashion, I left it in for another 5 minutes. She claims there is no talking to me ever since I started walking up-right. Had the bottom crust not been hard, it would have been perfect. [p]I am very new at this but the Green Egg makes up for a lot of my mistakes. I would like to express my deep appreciation for all the help you guys have given. It speaks volumes about the kind of people in here. I am sure I will be seeking more assistance in the future.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Hog Euker.,[p]The fact that you got it crispy and it did not burn is a huge step in the right direction. Congradulations! Now you just need to tweek the time vs temps and you're there. What setup did you find that worked for you? Had to laugh out loud at the "walking upright" comment. Sounds like my house.[p]Tim
  • Hog Euker
    Options
    Tim M, I read in a thread that a single pizza stone will not work for making pizza, that you needed fire bricks as well. So, I called the people from whom I purchased my egg and pizza stone and they told me that I could use only the pizza stone. They said the mistake most people make is trying to get the internal temp too high at the start. They advised me to get a stable dome temp of 450 then put on the pizza stone. I put my extension rack on next, then I put my pizza on top the extension rack in a pizza pan. Shortly thereafter when I closed the lid, the dome temp dropped to about 275. I cooked it for 15 minutes and checked it. The crust was still white. I closed lid for another 10 minutes and checked it again. That is when my wife said it looked done, but as my post said, I left it on for anoter 5 minutes. Throughout the process, my dome temp kept creeping up, when I finally took the pizza off, the dome temp was just under 350.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hog Euker,
    I have been using a single pizza stone, sitting on top of a "Y" pattern of firebricks. IMO the minimum temp you should use is 500. I have never burnt a crust, even with a preheated stone at 550. I never let the temp get below 500. Sounds like yours cooked too long...too low. [p]Soon you will have it all fingered out, and workin' on an A+.
    Happy New Year!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Hog Euker,[p]I think there is something to be said for raising the stone higher - like NB uses the firebricks to raise the stone but they also add some resistance to the heat from below. I would be cautious of trusting the folks who sold it to you, I have yet to meet or see any saleman here on this forum. Now, that does not mean they don't know what they are doing but unless they use their Eggs daily - the combined experience here on the forum will certainly exceed their knowledge. Over the 3 yrs I have been here I have seen methods change, improve and improve more as methods change. Adding ceramic only happened about 2.5 yrs ago so its rather new. I have personally tried several methods and read about dozens more. I have tried the single stone on a raised grid before too. I only did it once and it was with a Boboli crust. It didn't burn but it would have soon, but I was cooking at 550-575 dome too. I agree with Spin, Nature, GFW, etc that the dome needs to be 500 or more to cook the toppings well (crispy). I know there is no "one way" to do anything on the Egg (although some think so), so if that method works for you then use it. I am just saying that IMHO you need more ceramic to constantly avoid a burnt crust and still get toasted toppings. I have used the |_| setup with firebricks and a stone on top and the setter with stone, the Z firebrick pattern, that NB likes, the raised grid with 1 stone and a few variations with more firebricks. All worked but took slightly different times to get done. [p]The most complaints I have heard are from folks with only a single stone (especially a Pampered Cheif stone). I have never burnt a crust (over 25+ 12" pies to date) and I have stopped tring new methods since I have 2 that work every single time flawlessly. [p]Like everything on the Egg, find what works for you and use it and master it. If you want to experiment, then try this or that method to see "for yourself" if it's better or not. [p]Tell you dealer to log in here sometime -- heck, even they might learn something new for someone. They will be the first dealers to do so. I have tried to get our local metal heads at BBQ Galore to vist for years. They never do and they don't know beans about the Egg - but they sell a few. I pitty the poor folks that buy one and have to learn on their on by trial and error or by reading the manual (ribs in 45 min - yeah).[p]Welcome - and enjoy that Egg[p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Hog Euker,[p]I've cooked many pies on single stones with excellent results. The two stacked pizza stones setup prevents the top stone from gradually overheating when cooking multiple pies.[p]Your dealer advised you on a method that does make a good pie. Raising your cooking temperature will make a truly great pie. Lower temps tend to dry the crust as the cooking time is longer. High cooking temps seal the crust and allow a much shorter cooking time. The higher temp also helps tan the crust and finishes the toppings better.[p]I suggest that you try the next pizza using a stable dome temp of 550°F. Bottom vent wide open and regulate using the top vent only. Rearrange your cooking setup to be (from the grill up); extension rack, pizza stone. Cook the pie in the pizza pan directly on the pizza stone. Your Egg and the pizza stone should be well preheated. Insert the pie and open the top wide to quickly regain cooking temp, regulating again when the temp is reached. Cook for 6-8 minutes and remove.[p]Spin
  • Hog Euker
    Options
    Sounds like the people who sold me my egg are a bit more knowledgable than some of the other dealers around the country if what you guys are saying is true. Just about everytime I go by my dealer they are cooking something outside on their egg. With that being said, I am excited and impressed with all the knowledge in this room. I was telling my wife about this forum and how it appeaars that some cook daily on their eggs. With that kind of experience just a modem away, what more could a person like me ask for? I am just grateful that everyone here seems to have such a helpful attitude towards a newcomer like me. Anyway, I am anxious to try and cook pizza again using fire bricks. Will my local dealer have them or is there another source I need to check out? Thanks, and Happy New Year!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Hog Euker, Hey, we were all newbies at one time! Menards sells a box of 6 fire bricks made by U S Stove Co. They are in the fireplace repair area, not out in the yard. Run $8.99 in these parts. Good luck.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.