Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks - other methods than just reverse sear

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
im grilling up some ribeyes tonight. Shooting for a nice medium well. What are some other good methods to achieve this besides just reverse sear. I love reverse sear but would like to mess with some other methods
to broaden my eggsperiance.

Comments

• flexfusion
    flexfusion Posts: 240
    Options
    Why not direct grill over  some red coals.  
    Auburn, Alabama
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Go 550-600 direct and flip every 30 seconds...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    How about sear then indirect? Instead of reversing it  =)
    Austin, Tx
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited August 2016
    Options
    reverse searing (and other more involved two-stage) methods for cooking steak are almost always about thick steaks.

if you don't have thick ones, then no need to break the cook into two parts.

and honestly, this is not a slam either, if you are cooking past medium to medium/well, there is no reason to bother with a two-stage cook.  do a direct sear until it is done.

the entire logic for reverse searing, hot tubbing, Trex, Xert, etc. is to cook the steak to a low temperature (i.e. rare, med-rare maximum) uniformly, gently.  and then to sear it to your liking.  or searing first, obviously.

but if you aren't trying to maximize the rare cross section, and want medium-well, you'll get that just by cooking direct for the duration.  especially with thinner steaks.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I go raised direct about 500-550, 4-5 minutes a side. MR. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Respectfully shaking my head....using the words good and medium well in the same sentence with ribeyes. 

My thoughts exactly...but to each their own!  Best of luck with the ribeyes!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Scorching hot cast iron, but you may not like the crust if you're gonna go MW. 
  • Powak
    Options
    I love a medium steak but wife likes the "well" added to it.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Powak said:
    My wife prefers hers well, not medium-well.  Hurts my heart.  I like mine medium rare bordering on rare.

I completely agree with @Darby_Crenshaw (no surprise, that guy knows his stuff!) -- if you like medium steaks, you're probably wasting time and making the cook more complicated than it needs to be.  I'd think for medium, I'd go with a not super hot fire, maybe 500°, and flip every minute, and throw hers on maybe a couple minutes before yours.
  • Powak
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Powak said:
    My wife prefers hers well, not medium-well.  Hurts my heart.  I like mine medium rare bordering on rare.

I completely agree with @Darby_Crenshaw (no surprise, that guy knows his stuff!) -- if you like medium steaks, you're probably wasting time and making the cook more complicated than it needs to be.  I'd think for medium, I'd go with a not super hot fire, maybe 500°, and flip every minute, and throw hers on maybe a couple minutes before yours.
    Check this out. I did these bigass ribeyes reverse sear one time and the results are in the picture. They were phenomenal. Would that steak be more of a medium rare? 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Sous Vide is an option.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    The confusion goes on. In the (way) past, "medium-rare' looked like the picture above. "Medium" had no pink, was light brown.

In today's GOOD steak houses, that pink is now called "medium." I always have to ask, "Is it pink in the middle?" just to make sure. And it always is. At least in San Diego.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Powak said:
    ... Would that steak be more of a medium rare? 
    The confusion goes on. In the (way) past, "medium-rare' looked like the picture above. "Medium" had no pink, was light brown.

In today's GOOD steak houses, that pink is now called "medium." I always have to ask, "Is it pink in the middle?" just to make sure. And it always is. At least in San Diego.
    Arrrgggghhhh!!!  We used to have perfectly good words for this, and everybody understood them the same way.  Why in BLAZES would "good" steak houses take it upon themselves to redefine words everyone used to understand???  So what are we all supposed to do now?  Must we use 100,000 words to try to describe what we're talking about, or post a picture, when everybody used to know what "medium" or "medium rare" meant?  <sigh>

I Googled these terms, and it looks to me as though most people still use these terms the way people used to.  Here's a good link with pictures on the Certified Angus Brand site.

To me, rare has some just plain raw meat in the center, and that's what they mean by a "cool center" -- the center never got hot enough to get cooked at all, really.  Medium rare is very red, very juicy, but not raw.  Medium is still pink, but a bit less red, and it's firmer and a bit less juicy.  Medium well is only a little pink, and rather dry, and well has no pink at all and is very dry and rather livery.

So that picture above, which is GORGEOUS, by the way, looks more medium-rare than Medium to me, but pictures can be hard.  It looks juicy and delicious.  And if that's the way you like your steaks, and they're at least an inch thick, then I take back what I said before and I'd reverse sear them!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    for medium well i would need the souis vide, maybe 145 for 5 to 6 hours then a sear on cast iron.  i would start there =) i dont think it can be done on  my grill
    as for all the charts, the internal temps have been compromised for some unknown reason, my thermapen readings are way lower for each category ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • oldmandawg
    Options
    Sear @600 for 2 minutes each side then close the vents down and cook about 3-4 more minutes. 
  • Powak
    Options
    Sear @600 for 2 minutes each side then close the vents down and cook about 3-4 more minutes. 
    Yeah that sounds like the Green Egg
    method from their official site. I've done it that way and the steaks were damn good too and not smokey as others have experienced with the shutdown method.