Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preparing Blackstone griddle for winter storage

Options
Angela
Angela Posts: 543
Well it's almost September and we probably don't have much more than 6-8 weeks of decent weather to griddle in. I know we won't use the Blackstone in the snow. So how do you guys prep the griddle for winter storage? It's going to have to be stored in the garage or shed over the winter. Should I coat the griddle in a thin layer of shortening to protect it from moisture? 
Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,118
    Options
    I push it in the garage.  Then roll it on when I want to use it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Angela said:
    Well it's almost September and we probably don't have much more than 6-8 weeks of decent weather to griddle in. I know we won't use the Blackstone in the snow. So how do you guys prep the griddle for winter storage? It's going to have to be stored in the garage or shed over the winter. Should I coat the griddle in a thin layer of shortening to protect it from moisture? 
    Yes. Treat it like any other cast iron. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @Angela -  coulda gone all day without reading the thread title  ;)  Curious as to where you are?  What, with no climate change and no global warming you can get another 6 weeks + out of it before the ice age descends...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Angela said:
    Well it's almost September and we probably don't have much more than 6-8 weeks of decent weather to griddle in. I know we won't use the Blackstone in the snow.

That's just depressing.  
    Phoenix 
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Angela said:
    Yes. Treat it like any other cast iron. 
    Thanks, that's what I was thinking. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    We don't do winter here.

Spring "Still In Season One" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    After last springs reasoning, I was debating covering mine in beef suet or similar fat and putting it in a garbage bag until spring. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    I will coat mine in lard and then store in the garage. Although, I'm hoping to still be griddling into November 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sounds like someone needs to move
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    you have no idea

"Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I'm dead in the middle of the snow belt. What is this "winter storage" you speak of? 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    What is this winter you speak of?  I think we call it Christmas. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Down here in the frozen tundra of central NC, we just cook in the blowing snow and in blizzards.  We just deal with it.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I believe I do more outside cooking in the winter than summer. But our winters are like 30s, and summers 100s. No way I'd live up there, but damn these Summer's suck down here. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    We've already got light snow in the hills here. Last snow was mid May. I hate winter. All eight months of it. Every single day of it. Every one of them. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    BilZol said:
    We've already got light snow in the hills here. Last snow was mid May. I hate winter. All eight months of it. Every single day of it. Every one of them. 
    You could move down here. We're in the last week of summer, then we transition to still summer. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I believe I do more outside cooking in the winter than summer. But our winters are like 30s, and summers 100s. No way I'd live up there, but damn these Summer's suck down here. 
    This is true for me too I think.  I get the knack to cook more.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BilZol
    Options
    BilZol said:
    You could move down here. We're in the last week of summer, then we transition to still summer. 

Wife has ten more years to retirement then we're bailing. She just wanted to make sure we could take the Eggs with us. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Down in Georgia we don't really do any prep work for the 2 days of winter the griddle is unusable for.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• BilZol
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Down in Georgia we don't really do any prep work for the 2 days of winter the griddle is unusable for.

I miss Georgia. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i also cook more in winter than in the summer, i can tell you those 4 days hovering up near 100 degrees i went into survival mode and just kept cold beer near to me, no cooking. =) i had cold beer at hand all the other days this year as well but i wasnt in survival mode
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    It's football season.......it's time to dust her off, oil her up and get busy. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow