Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone make Mayonnaise?

Options
13»

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    llrickman said:
    The EVOO flavor wasn't to heavy? i made some with EVOO had to throw it out  then made some with light olive oil was fantastic
    Pretty wide range of flavors in various brands of EVOO. Many are pretty light.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    IMO a light, flavorless oil works best for mayo.  Like canola.
    Options
    IMO a light, flavorless oil works best for mayo.  Like canola.
    I agree partially.  Personal taste.  I like 50:50 grassy OO:canola oil.  Some lemon juice and bam.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Focker said:
    Tonight's batch for upcoming BLTs

OO, farm eggs, lemon juice, dijon, kosher, white pepp, roasted garlic, and minced calabrians with some of the sunflower/EVOO oil from the jar.  Would easily put this up against the southern boys' highly coveted Duke's.  :o
    That looks and sounds great! But peaking of garlic, aren't there botulism concerns with garlic oils? Something about garlic in an anaerobic environment? Seems like I read that it was a concern with chili peppers too, not just garlic. Maybe if stored in the fridge or if you eat it soon enough it's okay? I haven't really looked into it much. Anyone know the best way to do it?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Focker said:

OO, farm eggs, lemon juice, dijon, kosher, white pepp, roasted garlic, and minced calabrians with some of the sunflower/EVOO oil from the jar.  Would easily put this up against the southern boys' highly coveted Duke's.  :o
    That looks and sounds great! But peaking of garlic, aren't there botulism concerns with garlic oils? Something about garlic in an anaerobic environment? Seems like I read that it was a concern with chili peppers too, not just garlic. Maybe if stored in the fridge or if you eat it soon enough it's okay? I haven't really looked into it much. Anyone know the best way to do it?

good question.  After I make it, it's in the fridge, and it's gone or thrown away after a few weeks, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

As far as oils, I've been using grapeseed oil for the past few months and like it a lot.  seems to have a very mild flavor and good smoke point.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Focker said:

You're thinking of the classic botulism growth problem with raw garlic in EVOO.  The acid in the mayo lowers the pH enough so it's not an issue.
    Options
    I could be mistaken but I also think garlic/herbs in oil is fine as long as it is refrigerated.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, guys. Appreciate the comments.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I could be mistaken but I also think garlic/herbs in oil is fine as long as it is refrigerated.  
    Yes, it should be refrigerated, and used within a week or two.
    Options
    Yes, it should be refrigerated, and used within a week or two.
    this one always scared me, used to put the oil and garlic in a tupperware on top of the fridge, did this for years just like the fancy prince spaghetti factory restaurant did =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I hope this want ruin anyone's weekend but I had Dukes on my BLT for lunch today. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    haha, I was gonna do that too, until I realized I was out of L and T. Plenty of Dukes though. and Hellmann's. and homemade. All good. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    Options
    A ph of 4.5-ish kills the botulin critter. If one is really concerned might be worth having a cheap ph meter on hand.

I'm sure it would be fine in the fridge for a couple weeks but stuff like that I only make enough for a couple or three days then toss.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I've found pure EVOO to be quite bitter when using an immersion blender. I also make a creamy Caesar dressing with egg, dijon, Worcestershire, garlic, three anchovies, 3/4 C oil and 1/2 C EVOO. Takes about 5 minutes. 

BTW: Salmonella generally comes from egg SHELLS that aren't washed thoroughly. If you buy from a local farmer, be sure to wash your eggs thoroughly before cracking. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • HeavyG
    Options
    jlsm said:
    I've found pure EVOO to be quite bitter when using an immersion blender. 

That's not due to the flavor of the EVOO itself. It's because using a blender or food processor basically tears EVOO apart releasing bitter tasting compounds.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5475-testing-olive-oils-bitter-end

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I tried earlier this year (making big batch of chicken salad) and it never blended together. Fail. That video makes it look so easy . . gotta try again.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    NDG said:
    I tried earlier this year (making big batch of chicken salad) and it never blended together. Fail. That video makes it look so easy . . gotta try again.
    @NDG, make sure the container is just slightly larger than the head of your stick blender. The first time I tried it, my container was larger and I believe that's why mine failed too. This time, it was easy!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    ok . . the plastic measuring cup that came my my immersion blender cracked so we tossed it.  I used an oversized mason jar . . so sounds like that was the prob.  Thanks for tip
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @NDG, I got that from Kenji and it worked for me. Here's what he says...

TROUBLESHOOTING: WHAT IF MY MAYO DOESN'T WORK?

UPDATE: So I called this "foolproof," but really, it ought to be called "fool-resistant," because even the most bulletproof technique fails now and again. Some people have reported that the mayonnaise never comes together when blending. The number one problem I've discovered is using the wrong jar. It is imperative that the jar be just slightly larger than the head of the immersion blender, as the egg/lemon mixture must be in contact with the blades of the blender before you switch it on for this to work. The head of the blender must be firmly planted against the bottom of the jar until the mayonnaise starts to come together. If you can't find a jar the right size, the other option is to double the recipe in order to increase the starting volume of the egg/lemon mixture.

Finally, if your mayonnaise is watery, that means it has not emulsified properly, and no amount of additional blending is going to fix that. Your best bet is to let the mixture settle and separate, then try again.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/video-food-lab-foolproof-homemade-mayonnaise.html

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2016
    Options
    EVOO comes from the first pressing of the olives therefore a much stronger flavor. and does not do well for mayo. however light olive oil comes from the second and third pressing hence the lighter flavor and much more desirable for mayo

I have the 13 cup Kitchen aid food processor and it comes with a smaller bowl and blade that works perfect for mayo i didn't think using the large would emulsify as well.  And your spot on if you use an immersion you want the container to be just a hair larger than your blender

i haven't tried making it in my vitamix yet i only have the wide bottom 64oz and its just way to big
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM