Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post surgery down time

Options
bgeaddikt
bgeaddikt Posts: 503
Finally i had surgery for problems in my lower neck/upper back. Recovery may be a few weeks and i'm hoping to recover quickly to start grilling before the grilling season is over. I had vertabrae fused with a metal plate and screws. I had a bone in rib eye and a tomahawk ribeye in case it was my last dinner.
Austin, Tx

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like your plan brother!  Get well soon!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    All the best with the recovery......Great lookin last meal (before surgery).

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,544
    Options
    Top notch steak.... Wishing you a speedy recovery
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I hope it's not your last meal and it looks great.  Get well soon, that sounds painful.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Gotta be scary. At your age, you'll be fine. They have this stuff down to a science. You'll be grilling in no time, I'm sure. Good luck.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Good luck and hope for a speedy recovery.. I had a micro diskectomy in my lower back a few years ago.. So I feel your pain...

i watched a lot of movies and caught up on much needed sleep 
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    "before the grilling season is over"  I didn't know that was possible.  Hope you have a speedy recovery and relief.  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Finally i had surgery for problems in my lower neck/upper back. Recovery may be a few weeks and i'm hoping to recover quickly to start grilling before the grilling season is over. I had vertabrae fused with a metal plate and screws. I had a bone in rib eye and a tomahawk ribeye in case it was my last dinner.
    Fused, plated & screwed! Trust me those 3 words strunge together scared me! I wish you well PLUS a speedy recovery.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,196
    Options
    Good luck on your recovery!  Luckily, the grilling season is never over!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    You and pop got out there fine? GREAT! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,196
    Options
    RRP said:
    You and pop got out there fine? GREAT! 
    Yup, rolled in around noon, checked out the house I bought sight unseen, then he went to Phoenix with my sister.  I checked into a resort until the house closes. 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    Hope to see you up and running soon.. Take it easy and don't rush the recovery. Your egg will be there waiting. Hey and fall weather is also great grilling weather. God bless..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    Pain/nausea are brutal. No stitches, just medical grade super glue
    Austin, Tx
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Pain/nausea are brutal. No stitches, just medical grade super glue
    Good luck to you!!!!   I'm just getting over hip replacement. Finally have my eggs going again. Cooking an 18 lb brisket tonight. I was surprised they glued me together also. Maybe a 16" long incision.  You'll be out there egging again before you know it, though I understand your frustration during recovery.  Hang in there and best wishes to ya!!!!

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• mikeinccfl
    mikeinccfl Posts: 119
    Options
    Best luck, and fast healing!
    L BGE, XL appetite
    Cape Coral, FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Hoping your recovery goes well. Do exactly what they tell you to do. You will be fine. Great looking cook, you will be back doing the BGE thing soon.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgeaddikt
    Options
    It looks like i have a chain link in my neck! 1st X-Rays were taken.
    Austin, Tx
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    Crazy...Hope you recover quickly!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Good luck with the neck recovery.  In my officer, I've seen some times there the levels above and below fusion levels getting additional wear and tear and developing more advancing disc degeneration.  By the looks of your x-rays, you have good discs at those levels right now.

Fusion looks VERY good!  They did a great job!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Good luck! Lots of people do great with ACDFs, heck Manning came back to play in the NFL. 
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Get well and back to cooking!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hope your swallowing function and vocal chords are okay. It can take a bit of time for the inflammation to decrease.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I like how you think, and fortunately, it was far from your last meal! Wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Lots of protein, on the Egg, of course, will no doubt help the healing.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I wish you well. But don't quite understand "grilling season is over". I'm in the middle of the snow belt and no such thing. 
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I had pretty similar surgery in 2005. Had to wear the brace for two months and couldn't lift anything over 5 lbs. but the grilling went on! Didn't have the egg then, but still managed to cook a few ribs and steaks just fine. 

You  will be good to go in no time!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Hope recovery is going well. 

• bgeaddikt
    edited August 2016
    Options
    For the most part, very uncomfortable sleeping the first few weeks. It felt like my spine/neck was a twig about to snap from the weight of my head. Had difficulty swallowing but its gotten easier. The first 12 hours after surgery i dealt with the worst nausea ever. Puking with a cut throat was not fun. Have 5lb weight limit. If anybody ever goes through something similar i am here to answer any questions.
    Austin, Tx