Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying the new CI wok

Options
When I visited chinatown in San Francisco this summer I made it by the WokShop and picked up a 14" cast iron wok. This is a traditional Chinese CI wok that is very thin - nothing like the Lodge CI wok. Why did I get it? This forum compels one to spend money... Hey, it was < $20.00.
so tonight I took it for a test drive. My first impression was good. It heated and cooled off much like carbon steel - I think that might be a function of thermal mass more than the material itself. For a new, barely seasoned wok it was surprisingly nonstick. 
The casting was rough in that there are many little grooves and ridges in the surface - it's definitely not smooth. As I cooked in it I dis not find that to be a problem. I was afraid food would stick into the little grooves. Is it possible the grooves retained oil or moisture that helped the food move aroung? Who knows? One cook certainly isn't enough to form any real opinion. 
I will say I liked it enough that I think I'll use it exclusively for a while and see how I like it after that. 
Here are some pics:

Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Flat out awesome! Wow!
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Hub Thanks for the kind words. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Hub Thanks for the kind words. 
    Want to know what I was really thinking? ...... That guy should open a restaurant!! 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Hub Again, thanks friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice cook brother!  Many more ahead for sure.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    Dang, that looks amazing!! Nicely done. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @bgebrent @Luvnlife Thanks y'all. Stir fries are fun cooks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks like you and the CI wok melded good tonight!!  

Did you notice the same cool off when you dumped the protein to go to the veggies? 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Looks like you and the CI wok melded good tonight!!  

Did you notice the same cool off when you dumped the protein to go to the veggies? 
    It seemed the same. I need a few more cooks to say if there is any real difference. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon