Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-Need some help

Options
So a good friend of ours just had a double mastectomy.  My wife and I are going to bring them dinner on Saturday to help out.   I am stuck trying to think of something to egg that will stay hot, and or could be reheated and still taste good.  They always come to our pool parties and the last time over, we had pulled pork. Want to make something different.  .  They live like 5 miles from us.  My plan is to deliver the food around 5:00 - 5:30 Saturday evening.   I am having a senior moment and drawing tons of blanks.  Thank you in advance for the help.  
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Pulled Beef? (Chukie)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    A Lasagna.....Easy to reheat and leaves them with more than one meal.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    A Lasagna.....Easy to reheat and leaves them with more than one meal.
    I was kind of leaning that way. Proteins like chicken don't reheat well in my opinion.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 for Pulled beef 
    Greensboro, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    A nice egged ham can provide several meals.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options
    Brisket would be good
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Meatloaf
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    lasagna, enchiladas, stuffed peppers, those all reheat good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    da87 said:
    Sorry to go so long and deep, but this touches a spot for me...

First I hope your friend is doing well.  My wife went through that surgery a year ago - really a challenge emotionally as well as physically.  From our experience you're already doing the most important things: caring, looking to help, and supporting them both.  What meal you bring is just a bonus.  

Second, again based on our experience and all the reading I did in advance of my wife's surgeries a lot depends on how far into post-op she is and how her recovery is going.  Lighter is better the first couple of days and often as long as she is on pain meds.  For me as the caregiver, multiple meals I didn't have to worry about were a Godsend. 

All the comments above sound great to me, I might suggest that since the grill is already lit (and assuming this works for you financially and time wise) you throw on a very lightly spiced/sauced chicken breasts for the first meal - along with something like rice and some veggies - and then have lasagna or pulled pork to provide some follow on meals that can easily be portioned and warmed up.  Again, the important thing is that you are there for her and a bonus if you happen to remember her favorite food or desert, that will get you the most desired outcome - a real smile.

Thoughts and prayers, and from family that's been there thank you for going out of your way for her and her caregiver(s).
    This is how I would approach the situation. Light and healthy food. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    this is the only "adult" mac and cheese ive ever liked and ive tried dozens of recipes

http://www.nutmegnanny.com/2014/02/26/gorgonzola-bacon-mac-cheese/

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I would cook a large vat of home made chicken vegetable noodle soup for one of our dearest friends, who eventually lost her battle. I would make a huge pot they could reheat food several days, and My Beautiful Wife would bake bread and take it to her and visit. She loved it, it was easy for her to warm up whenever she wanted, and she made sure to tell me whenever she was down to 1-2 bowls left. 

It is nutritious, kept her hydrated, and kept her electrolytes up. That would be a great meal that will last and provide many bowls of warm goodness.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    +1 on the soup, great suggestion and even better with a chicken from the egg
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I don't know how many friends she has bringing her food, but my dad went through chemo twice and my mother in law went through the mastectomy thing so we had a bunch of people bringing food on a me off for about 18 months...to the point it got painful. 

The things that kept showing up were:
    soup, (especially chicken noodle), pastas, heavy desserts we would normally never eat, and the restaurant down the street. (And casseroles...maybe it's the curse of being a church goer in the south but I was ready to strike down the next casserole that came in that house)

Anything we could freeze and reheat with ease was good. A couple I remember was meatloaf and veggies, fajitas, chicken pot pie, good salads, chicken salad and croissants, fruit pies, pot roast, pork tenderloin, BBQ sandwiches, and pizza. All are easy to share with a big group and hold well. Prayers going out to the fam. 

Edit: Big thing is find out what she eats on the regular and if anyone has food allergies. Also if there are kids around make sure there aren't any picky eater requests!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I don't know how many friends she has bringing her food, but my dad went through chemo twice and my mother in law went through the mastectomy thing so we had a bunch of people bringing food on a me off for about 18 months...to the point it got painful. 

The things that kept showing up were:
    soup, (especially chicken noodle), pastas, heavy desserts we would normally never eat, and the restaurant down the street. (And casseroles...maybe it's the curse of being a church goer in the south but I was ready to strike down the next casserole that came in that house)

Anything we could freeze and reheat with ease was good. A couple I remember was meatloaf and veggies, fajitas, chicken pot pie, good salads, chicken salad and croissants, fruit pies, pot roast, pork tenderloin, BBQ sandwiches, and pizza. All are easy to share with a big group and hold well. Prayers going out to the fam. 

Edit: Big thing is find out what she eats on the regular and if anyone has food allergies. Also if there are kids around make sure there aren't any picky eater requests!
    This is all excellent advice.  Also, I know the impetus here's as something you can cook, but think that there might be a lot of people bringing food and checking if there is anything else they need.  I know that when when we were going back and forth to the hospital and hospice with my grandmother, the people who really stand out weren't the ones who brought food; it is the three ladies from grandma's church who called my mom and offered to come and do a quick cleaning at our house, and the neighbor who would come a few times during the day and walk the dog.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Fangenbaum
    Options
    Big pot of fresh vegetable beef soup.  Cube boneless check and plenty of it.  Nothing is more comforting to me than a big pot of fresh vegetable soup with a ton of melt in your mouth chuck (or brisket) cooked to spoon cut tenderness.  Now, in my neck of the woods, we pair that up with a couple of loaves of french bread and butter.  Leftovers easily reheated and very satisfying.  
    Hello, from New Orleans!!  
    "Land of pralines, red beans, creole queens & pinball machines."
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Big pot of fresh vegetable beef soup.  Cube boneless check and plenty of it.  Nothing is more comforting to me than a big pot of fresh vegetable soup with a ton of melt in your mouth chuck (or brisket) cooked to spoon cut tenderness.  Now, in my neck of the woods, we pair that up with a couple of loaves of french bread and butter.  Leftovers easily reheated and very satisfying.  
    Well, whether or not you have Cancer may change your perspective. And the various treatments involved. Just saying. YMMV. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    There is a free website to coordinate meals and let others know what they had or will have. You can sign up for what day you want to provide food (cooked or bought) and what you plan to provide. That way 10 people aren't bringing meals on a Sunday or they aren't getting 5 lasagnas in 1 week. Someone did this for my cousin's family so all the relatives, neighbors, and friends could access it and sign up for whenever. Also lets you know that someone is providing meals when you can't.
    http://www.takethemameal.com/

As for a meal, I wouldn't call this light, but a stuffed pork loin is always good and will stay warm for a little while.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    +1. This is what we used. My wife ran it all four times. If anyone needs any help on how to run it let us know. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    As said, the ham
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 689
    Options
    I have relied on things good in the freezer in the past. Pulled pork, soup, lasagna that have all been mentioned. It seems like a lot of time meal support drops off quicker than the need does in these situations. Everyone wants to bring something when the problem is fresh on their mind.