Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE vs Yoder

Options
I have the large egg and love it but am thinking i might add a Yoder for long smokes and more capacity. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.... or just buy an XL?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    I am researching adding a stick burner so I will be watching this thread.  Right now a Lang 36 (no plans to move into the competitive world (too old for one)) is a leading candidate but nothing is nailed down.  Perhaps @SGH will offer some insights as he has a wealth of knowledge with his "Units".  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I don't think I'd like the automation.  For me the hobby part is managing the fire - being the pitmaster.  When I use a controller, I'm just cooking.  (If anyone's interested in a PartyQ pm me.)

I'm with @lousubcap in wanting a new stickburner (for me it's a shirley). I've got a cheaper stickburner now, but I really enjoy the process.
    Phoenix 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    @fishindoc, are you talking Yoder stick burners or pellet smokers? 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    @blasting The Shirley's are a 13 month wait right now. Better get in line quickly. 
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    @fishindoc, are you talking Yoder stick burners or pellet smokers? 
    Probably the 640
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Read an interview with Aaron Franklin, he's coming out with his own Stick burner next summer, as he say's 'extreme quality' to be priced @ $1400.00.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    @fishindoc,  I've been on the hunt for a good smoker for over a year and did a TON of research. I was within 1 millimeter of pulling the trigger on a YS1500 before someone suggested I check out gravity feeds. 

The Yoders are excellent cookers with a solid reputation. I went with an Assassin 24 gravity feed in the end because I really like the idea of an insulated cabinet, and I can burn the same lump I use for my Egg.

Can't go wrong with a Yoder.  
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Read an interview with Aaron Franklin, he's coming out with his own Stick burner next summer, as he say's 'extreme quality' to be priced @ $1400.00.
    Oh great.... That will be the only pit the Franklin fan boys will think produces 'real Q'

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Oh great.... That will be the only pit the Franklin fan boys will think produces 'real Q'
    Not a huge Franklin fan, are you?  =)
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I love having 2 eggs, L and S.  Having said that, if I really needed additional capacity for smoking, I would lean towards a yoder or stick burner before a XL.  It really depends what type of cooking you need the extra room for, IMO.
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Not a huge Franklin fan, are you?  =)
    No I am not.  The obsession with him is kind of scary actually.  I'm sure he will also come out with his own salt and pepper only rub that people will swear by. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• fishindoc
    Options
    So here's my thinking....correct me if im out in left field on this one...i like quite alot of smokey flavor and the egg is so efficient at holding heat they don't need to burn much so I've noticed after awhile theres no smoke. The pellet as i understand produces more consistent smoke and is easier to start up. Plus the space is an issue currently. Its not about the set it and forget it because i have the Cyberq. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    The Franklin brisket you tube video series provides a great tutorial on the whole brisket process.  Using them as a reference will demystify the brisket journey.   I enjoy his willingness to share and have definitely benefited from his generosity.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2016
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    So here's my thinking....correct me if im out in left field on this one...i like quite alot of smokey flavor and the egg is so efficient at holding heat they don't need to burn much so I've noticed after awhile theres no smoke. The pellet as i understand produces more consistent smoke and is easier to start up. Plus the space is an issue currently. Its not about the set it and forget it because i have the Cyberq. 
    Hey brother, Just because you don't see 'smoke' doesn't mean your not smoking your meat, you are. If you (for example) ever go to a bbq competition take a look around at the pits, you won't see a haze of smoke coming from their pits. 

Thing is, if you still have 'smoke' billowing from your smoker, egg or whatever after a few hours - you just might have a problem.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I think @EggSmokeVa just made this decision himself.  I think he went with a reverse flow stick burner, but perhaps can share some insight
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    fishindoc said:
    I'm with you on the Egg - awesome cooker, but comes up short as a smoker. That is the reason I went on a quest for a dedicated smoker.

In my research, some have complained that the Yoders don't produce a deep enough smoke taste, while some have said they do. I contacted some Yoder owners who swear by them. They never complained about the lack of smoke taste. Yoder's customer service has a sterling reputation and their smokers are built like tanks. I looked at the 640 first, then laser focused in the 1500. I was VERY close to ordering the 1500. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    The Franklin brisket you tube video series provides a great tutorial on the whole brisket process.  Using them as a reference will demystify the brisket journey.   I enjoy his willingness to share and have definitely benefited from his generosity.  
    A fantastic way to enjoy your 10,000th post, sir. Congratulations. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I also from pics and testimony of cookers here think the egg is not a great smoker.
    i am on the fence for a cabinet available locally here I feel like I will miss out if i don't pull the trigger.

$1600 for a 2 year old Fatboy G2, someone tell me jump.
    Seattle, WA
  • blasting
    Options

Hey, happy 10,000 @lousubcap!  

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I also from pics and testimony of cookers here think the egg is not a great smoker.
    i am on the fence for a cabinet available locally here I feel like I will miss out if i don't pull the trigger.

Jump.  It would actually be irresponsible not to buy it.  (does that help?)
    Phoenix 
  • fishindoc
    Options
    blasting said:
    SkinnyV said:

Can you give me the same advice please? 
  • lousubcap
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @blasting - are you day drinkin?  ;)
    Edit:  thanks but 10K posts means I don't have much of another life  (and likely even less when a new Q toy appears).  SWMBO pay backs can be costly.  
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

My cousin has the Yoder Loaded Wichita....he loves it.

I bought my Large BGE around the same time that he did.

I think the food I produce on my egg is a lot better than what he produces on his yoder.

......especially steaks and pizza.  :-)

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• fishindoc
    Options
    blasting said:
    fishindoc said:
    blasting said:
    SkinnyV said:

Can you give me the same advice please? 

Of course.  

It's actually not for you anyway.  When you buy a new smoker it is ultimately a gift for your wife.  You're positive state of mind will have you earning more money at work, treating her better at home, and feeling like a king in the bedroom.  

If you love your wife, you owe it to her to buy this smoker you've been eyeballing.

Ok..sounds like a plan to me lol
  • fishindoc
    Options

I think the food I produce on my egg is a lot better than what he produces on his yoder.

I do think id continue to do high heat stuff on the egg..i was thinking for the low and slow stuff...especially the bigger cuts of meat or multiples
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    blasting said:
    SkinnyV said:

Thanks , the nudge is done after looking at posts late last night. I emailed I will take it. Wiring harness and hitch ball on the way to rent a trailer in next few days.
    Seattle, WA
  • SmokingPiney
    edited August 2016
    Options

Apples and oranges.........

The Wichata is a low and slow stick burning smoker.......never meant to sear steaks or cook pizza. 
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

Apples and oranges.........

The Wichata is a low and slow stick burning smoker.......never meant to sear steaks or cook pizza. 

It was a joke, bro.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN