Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest Handler

Options
JMCXL
JMCXL Posts: 1,524
I was at a dealer over the weekend and saw the nest handler.  I have a XL and was wondering if this is something I need or is it a nice to have item.  I keep my XL in the garage and push it out about 10 feet to keep.  about twice a year I take a field trip with the XL and go to the back yard (roll about 60 feet over pavers).  What's your thought on the Nest Handler?  

Thought this might be a good Friday Night question (Sorry if this is old news)
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I am not familiar with it, but when moving an egg, always pull it, never push it. If you are pulling an egg and the wheel hits a rock or a hole and the egg goes to flip over you can stop it. If pushing an egg and that happens, the egg will probably crash to the ground. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I bought a handler for large 1.5 years ago and yet to put it on. My biggest issue is space in the garage. The handler adds a bigger circumference of the egg which doesn't help the already limited space I have in the garage. If you have the extra room go for it! A few members swear by them.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I highly recommend the egg handler. What it does is to make the egg and nest as one. For me,it just feels 'solid' and is going nowhere. Not needed, but it indeed does give your egg a 'finished' look. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,113
    Options
    Have handlers on both my medium and XL.  I personally think they should be standard with a nest.

I live them.  Overpriced?  Absolutely.  Worth it?  Absolutely, especially if you ever move it around.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2016
    Options
    And - lords knows we spend our money on every new 'egg' gizmo accessory that hits this forum, from the Joetisserie to the KAB to Temp Controllers to high priced specialty meats etc - why NOT buy something that makes your egg look even cooler that it already is. Buy it! 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • CountryBoy
    CountryBoy Posts: 102
    Options
    I purchased the handler to go on my large when I first got the egg. Never moved an egg with out one. Having said that I wouldn't want to move an egg without one over rough terrain.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Well worth the investment. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Love it.
    Seattle, WA
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I should probably get one. I kept mine in the garage and had to go out over a 3" high door frame to get to the back porch. At first I did it with 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood and then built a one piece ramp out of 3/4". Always took it slow and popped each wheel up separately over the various humps. Never had a drop!
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I finally bought one for my large when the local dealer had a 20% off sale and really like it. During the winter I store my egg in the garage and roll it in and out and was always worried I would somehow knock it over. In the summer it lives on the brick patio but it's a long haul twice a year taking it out in the Spring and bringing it back in the Fall. The other thing I noticed is that it locks the egg and the nest all together and feels much more solid. I recommend it.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Must have for the situation you are describing. You will be delighted with the difference in stability. 
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    It also locks the Egg to the nest, it fastens to both the band and the nest.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have an XL that lives in the garage and I pull it out to the driveway for use.  Moving that big heavy egg with the handler makes it easy.  If you move your egg around, I highly recommend the handler.
    Flint, Michigan
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    My first large was purchased before handlers were available and I felt safer putting it in a table. Handlers on my XL and second large were no brainers. I go to a lot of local dealer eggfests. Most of them have gone to putting handlers on their demo eggs as standard practice. Seen a few trying to move with just a nest get tipped. 
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN