Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dropped the youngest off at college

Options
2»

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    Gonna have to try the FS soon, that looks fine.

When our son went off to college,  he drove himself and a buddy up there.  It was only about 225 miles away.

About a month after he had left we were having a telephone chat.  He talked about coming home for the weekend and I told him we would have the guest room ready.  He said, "I'll just sleep in my room".  It was then that I told him he had to use the guest room, because his room was now the "Gym".  He was incredulous about that one.  I went on to explain that going off to college was the beginning of the next (adult) phase of his life and moving back home was not an option.

I don't think he ever believed me until he came home the first time and found the "Gym" in his old room.  He enjoyed the gym, but to this day (10 years later) he says he can't believe how fast we accepted that he was gone from the house.

The"empty nest" syndrome didn't last long around our house for sure.
    We joke about the new office, but truth is I'm in no hurry. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    My folks were doing doughnuts in the parking lot. 
    Oh my! 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Drove myself as well. Mama did cry in the door way though. 
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I was you one year ago, it's tough/interesting in many ways.  She's been gone all summer too doing this & that, has been back for the past two weeks but is leaving again on Tuesday, I've become very accustomed to the empty nest.

Thinking back over 30 years when my parents dropped me off 250 miles away & didn't turn the engine off; off-loaded me at the curb & did a Rockford outa there, apparently I was as big a d!ck back then as I am now 
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    , apparently I was as big a d!ck back then as I am now 
    Maybe this is why I had to drive myself.... :frowning:
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Zippylip said:
    , apparently I was as big a d!ck back then as I am now 
    Maybe this is why I had to drive myself.... :frowning:
    Maybe if you cooked better wings you would be missed more!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My mama is a ole country cook. I didn't cook a dang thang when I lived with her. I cook now to survive. My wife took after her mama, not much in the kitchen. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    My mama is a ole country cook. I didn't cook a dang thang when I lived with her. I cook now to survive. My wife took after her mama, not much in the kitchen. 
    Oh, you poor, poor soul!  Looks like you got it covered.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Get it totally!  You have made the best of it.  Best wishes to you and your family brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Get it totally!  You have made the best of it.  Best wishes to you and your family brother.
    Thanks my man. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    A life milestone, for sure. 

We dropped our only at Vanderbilt in 2007, married her off in 2015 and became grandparents (It's a Boy!) last week. 

Great times ahead. It's all about the journey. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited August 2016
    Options

We dropped our only at Vanderbilt in 2007, married her off in 2015 and became grandparents (It's a Boy!) last week. 

Congrats on being grandparents. I'll restrain from making a dirty fork joke.  =)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    very nice meal..... i just cried
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Just dropped baby girl off at East Carolina today. Go Pirates!  Given that we almost lost her 18 months ago, today is a major celebration.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Congrats on being grandparents. I'll restrain from making a dirty fork joke.  =)
    Now, dirty newborn diapers are fair game.  B)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pgprescott
    Options

Now, dirty newborn diapers are fair game.  B)
    Ewww and ewwww!
  • pgprescott
    Options

JethroVA said:
    Just dropped baby girl off at East Carolina today. Go Pirates!  Given that we almost lost her 18 months ago, today is a major celebration.  
    Awesome @JethroVA! Perspective taken. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

Mickey said:
    very nice meal..... i just cried
    Thanks sir. It sure has been a flash. My parents just keep getting smarter as I get older. They told me these things, but I knew better. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I'm the youngest and the happiest I've ever seen my Dad was at my college graduation. He was telling everybody this was the biggest pay raise he ever had! 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I'm the youngest and the happiest I've ever seen my Dad was at my college graduation. He was telling everybody this was the biggest pay raise he ever had! 
    I don't know how long ago that was, but holy crap. The cost is ridiculous. That is if you have to pay. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Drove myself as well. Mama did cry in the door way though. 
    Tears of sadness or joy? I only ask because in my case this they were tears of absolute happiness
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Bittersweet I'm sure but I'm sure you're quite proud of your daughter.  Congrats!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My little mom and pop started carrying these. I need to try one. Meal looks superb! 

I have a whIle to go before I have to do this, but I bet I'll be a wreck. My wife even more. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Bittersweet I'm sure but I'm sure you're quite proud of your daughter.  Congrats!
    Spot on. Thanks
  • pgprescott
    Options
    My little mom and pop started carrying these. I need to try one. Meal looks superb! 

I have a whIle to go before I have to do this, but I bet I'll be a wreck. My wife even more. 
    Thanks Matt.

It's what you work toward, but it's tough to turn the page.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

Thanks Matt.

It's what you work toward, but it's tough to turn the page.
    You're right about that buddy. I remember her first day at daycare. I was a wreck. I stI'll tear up when I drop her off sometimes. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    hmmmm, all these posts and not one mention of a student headed back to college with at least a mini or a M/M in tow as has been reported in prior years. OTOH that possession probably comes with upper classmen and not freshmen. I know over the years my dealer sold several mini's for that very destination though most were jocks and/or fraternity boys.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    RRP said:
    hmmmm, all these posts and not one mention of a student headed back to college with at least a mini or a M/M in tow as has been reported in prior years. OTOH that possession probably comes with upper classmen and not freshmen. I know over the years my dealer sold several mini's for that very destination though most were jocks and/or fraternity boys.
    Yeah Ron, we're just trying to get through the engineering curriculum. Maybe in the future! After we've completed a couple calc levels.